Number '1' on weather widget?Support

Last Updated:

1. Rallye James

Rallye James Active Member

After a little play with Touchwiz and Nova Launcher, I've decided to stick with Touchwiz as I like the weather widget. The only problem is, there is this '1' to the right of the clock that's bugging me, what is it?!

taosvn likes this.
  2. bigyid

bigyid Well-Known Member

Gmt +1 ;) just your time zone
    Rallye James likes this.
  3. Rallye James

Ah, OK! Thanks :)
  4. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

I am not sure if it is the time zone. I've tried other cities with other timezones and sometimes you can still see the 1. I think it is the summer daylight savings so +1 hour from any standard time zone. Hence 1 in a summery sun
  5. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's not weather alerts??
  6. westbros

westbros Well-Known Member

I have noticed this too when looking at the phone in the shops. If you tap on the app it doesn't seem to give you any specific weather alerts - not that I immediately noticed anyway, so maybe I should have another look. It strikes me that this must have something to do with the weather as the number is in a small shining sun. I am not convinced that it is the local time zone, as surely it would have to display +1 or -1 or whatever? Daylight saving? Maybe, but that doesn't seem very obvious to me. I would be interested in getting a definitive answer to this, as it has been bugging me too.
  7. LoayBal

LoayBal Active Member

I'm pretty sure that the small 1 next to the time in the weather widget is for the summer time, because I've added some other cities in the widget to show their weather and times and one of these cities is Jeddah in Saudi Arabia which doesn't have summer time (it's always summer in there!!) and the small 1 notification is not there.
  8. westbros

OK, the one way to test this out and see whether the theory about Jeddah is correct is to change the widget to show cities that are definitely not in daylight saving at the moment. Try somewhere in the southern hemisphere like Sydney or Melbourne, and Auckland and see what happens. Don't try other Australian cities like Perth or Brisbane, because some Australian states never have daylight saving. I would do this myself if I had the phone, but alas another couple of weeks to wait....
  9. elbeeuk

elbeeuk Well-Known Member

Tested Sydney(AUS) and it doesn't get a '1' in the sun icon. So looks like the daylight savings suggestion is right.

10. Rallye James

I tried Tokyo yesterday, no '1' again. I wish it could be turned off really.

My next query on the weather widget is that it doesn't seem to update my location as (I think) it should. When I go to work, it refreshes the weather as I've asked it to, but keeps my home location.

At this rate I think I'll find a different, similar style widget.
  11. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

I'd rather just use one of the Beautiful Widgets anyway.
  12. westbros

I have just checked, and Japan does not use DST, so this seems to confirm what the number "1" is for. I have to agree though, I'm not sure how much use this feature is.
  13. westbros

Well guys, I posted a question about this on the Samsung Mobile UK Facebook page, and somebody from Samsung has just replied:

"... sad to say that this is an anomaly and doesn't mean anything I'm afraid - no Easter eggs this time, but we may see some yet in the future! :)"

I have responded to Samsung that there must have been a purpose when the app was created, and pointed out that if you select Sydney the little sun and the number 1 disappear. I don't buy the suggestion that it is an anomaly, so I will wait and see what they say, and will report back.
  14. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

It's the daylight saving time. can't be anything else
  15. ANM8

ANM8 Well-Known Member

My next query on the weather widget is that it doesn't seem to update my location as (I think) it should. When I go to work, it refreshes the weather as I've asked it to, but keeps my home location. [/QUOTE]

Mine is the same, surely it should update to wherever you are at the time..?:confused:
  16. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

Do you have enable current location in the widget settings? It should show a small gps location icon on the homescreen next to the weather and name of location when you have it enabled and it should update every so many hours (you choose)
  17. Rallye James

I have current location enabled and update every hour, I've got the GPS icon next to my location (my screenshot at the top shows this). Yet the current location always seems to be where I first turned on widget.
  18. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

aha. so in that case try going onto settings - location services and look if you have "use wireless networks" checked. That is the one that determines your actual location every time it checks. Otherwise it leaves the one you selected the first time you activated the widget.
  19. ANM8

ANM8 Well-Known Member

20. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

Don't know if it is the case with this phone as well but in my old desire i had to have sync on as well. If you don't have it then switch it on. although there is no weather account in the connectivity and accounts settings so not sure
  21. Manpon

Manpon New Member

I'm having the same problem. Tried everything. Turning the phone on/off, pinpointing myself with "Latitude". Nothing seems to work.
  22. aje99999

aje99999 Member

I always assumed it was the Sun Index for Sunburn times! !
  23. Grrman

Grrman Active Member

Same problem here. I read somewhere that there might be a bug with the weather widget. The only way I've found to get the "current city" to reflect my actual location is to turn if off, then back on. A pain indeed!
  24. Krunk83

Krunk83 Well-Known Member

It's daylight savings time, you have to disable it in the clock app. Go into the clock app-hold down the city you are currently in that is reflecting the weather widget-select DST settings-select none and adjust time.
  25. speedfan

speedfan Well-Known Member

you can open the weather app and select the add location button and then select current location and it will force a change that way. alot better than power cycling the phone.