• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Number prefix when dialing

Dan Davies

Dec 27, 2011
I am new to Android and imported all my contacts into my new phone from my old Treo. On the Treo, I just had to have the 10 digit number, without the 1- prefix. That is, if the contact liste 780-555-1212, you could set the Treo to automatically dial it as 1-780-555-1212. I cannot find such a setting on the Android. I have about 1100 contacts with multiple numbers each - will I have to edit each one to put the 1 in front?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan

Can you not export all the numbers to a spread sheet and edit them in one go?

Personally, I store all my numbers in 'international dialling' format. Even local ones. In the UK at least the service provider strips off the 'international' code and just 'does the right thing'. Means I don't have to change anything if I travel abroad. May be worth biting the bullet and making sure all your current numbers are correct (not necessarily in int. format).

Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones