• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NVIDIA Tegra3 Quad Core vs Apple's A5X Dual Core Heavyweight Battle Coming Soon

I thought the exact same thing and still think it is too constrained, but the display is absolutely amazing and apps are fast, plus file management of large amounts of images and comics is a lot faster than any Android tablet I have tried.

I can also play Flash fine with Puffin and most codecs for video with AnyPlayerHD, which uses the gpu cores for acceleration.
Still, no non iTunes drag and drop sucks and ditto for no console emulators. Thrive and View work fine for that.

Added:

If the Infinity would release in the next 40 days, I would have an easier decision.

Reactions: GeekClass
Upvote 0
I got to play with an iPad in the Verizon store last night, no one was looking at them, and I could not get past the square screen, I felt stupid holding it and have no idea how anyone could think a GTab could possibly look like that!

Although every person that came in looking for a phone was told "Android is over there, but you can did IPhones still over the store, I think you would be better off with the iPhone 4s, let me show it to you" I think Verizon is stuck in a worse deal than Sprint with Apple, and they are not on target to make their quota...

Upvote 0
For a portable device with a 10" display and high resolution, I prefer the 4:3 dimension and the video is not compromised with black borders since the resolution is so high. To me, web pages seem less constrained and games also seem better. For full home desktop and consoles I am opposite, since not portable, close up use.

None the less, I can see why others prefer 16:9 like most Android tabs. Especially for video, since a lower res display for video would be compromised with black borders.

Reactions: GeekClass
Upvote 0
On a more basic level, Apple flat out said the A5X had more graphical muscle than the Tegra3, and it was truth.

I don't see Nvidia pushing back on the claim anymore and risking any further embarrassment.

You have to wonder what madness at Nvidia caused them to open their mouths. After the utter failure of Tegra 2, and even how close the A5 was against the Tegra 3? Bloody idiots.

Upvote 0
For a portable device with a 10" display and high resolution, I prefer the 4:3 dimension and the video is not compromised with black borders since the resolution is so high. To me, web pages seem less constrained and games also seem better. For full home desktop and consoles I am opposite, since not portable, close up use.

None the less, I can see why others prefer 16:9 like most Android tabs. Especially for video, since a lower res display for video would be compromised with black borders.

As a person that has owned tablets in both aspect ratios, I prefer 4.3. It just feels and looks nicer to use. More natural and book like.

Upvote 0
4:3 makes little sense. Apple likes to do random, pointless things that make little sense. This probably can explain why the choose it.

16:9 makes sense... Everything comes in this format... Probably why every TV has this ratio... I remember when I had a fullscreen 4:3 TV! Oh ya, that was 10 years ago haha. Hey Apple, the 90's called, they want their aspect ratio back!;)

Reactions: finndo77
Upvote 0
No such high heat or battery issues with mine. Side note, staying at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel at the moment and the area I am at in this huuuge hotel complex has weak and slow wifi for my usually good Razr, Thrive and T400 work laptop. The new iPad has full bars and streaming Netflix. I did not expect this and makes no sense to me. Expected the iPad to be just as weak as the others.

As far as the heat and battery issues some report, beginning to wonder if some new IPads have bum batteries.

Added:
Good point about LTE, since maybe that is a common issue. Mine is wifi only, but the LTE ones also have GPS, I do believe.

Upvote 0
You have to wonder what madness at Nvidia caused them to open their mouths. After the utter failure of Tegra 2, and even how close the A5 was against the Tegra 3? Bloody idiots.

Because they didn't expect Apple to pack a huge battery into the new iPad. They designed and marketed the Tegra 3 to be in power efficient slender sexy lightweight mobile devices with 5-30 Whr batteries.

The Transformer Prime gets over 9 hrs of life with a 1280x800 res and 22 Whr battery... giving a significant performance boost and superior display compared to last gen devices AND decreasing the battery capacity by 11% while improving battery life.

The Transformer Infinity is supposedly going to get the same life with a 1920x1200 res, bumped up clockspeed, and a 25 Whr battery. That goes to show you just how power efficient both the Tegra and that display are (The S4 version is also sporting a 25 Whr battery).

Tegra games still give a better visual experience than their iOS counterparts (as seen here: Side by side ).

The new iPad had to double their iPad 2 GPU count, crank the battery capacity from 25 Whrs up to 42.5 Whrs, quad the screen res, increase color gamut by 20%, increase weight and thickness by 14%, AND increase build costs by 21-25% just to keep from being completely outdone.

The result is that Apple fought off nVidia's superiority push but they ended up with the heaviest of breed that will probably be plagued with issues which will manifest later this year (that huge and very toasty SOC is pressed right up against that huge battery so I'm expecting user complaints about overheating iPads this summer followed by complaints about battery life decreases of around 15-25% by the winter).

PS - Sorry about that. Had to vent a bit after being bombarded with all the Apple marketing.

Reactions: Gooser91
Upvote 0
So the battery in the new iPad is twice as big as the Primes... Did anyone making the device consider the consequences of such a battery? it takes 6 hours to charge? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I would take a lower res tablet any day of the week over this crap-o-la! Hahahahaha, when your usable time is almost equal to the time it takes to charge, holy COW.

If I had a new iPad, I would return that hunk-a-junk! and just get an iPad 2, because they are the same exact thing, and ones cheaper.

Upvote 0
If you bought the 4G one in Australia, you can at least get a refund easily as Apple was deemed to be misleading customers in how it 'sold' the 4G element.

I wonder if any other countries will do the same? The 4G element is somewhat limited, but a lot of ordinary consumers may justifiably assume that a new iPad + 4G sold here in the UK will work on a 4G network, even though we don't actually have a commercially operational network here yet - and even if we did, the iPad still wouldn't work on it!

Upvote 0
The Infinity should be a great tablet and sans the radio issues of the Prime, but seems presumptous assuming a small battery with a much high res display is going to have great battery life on the Infinity. My guess is Asus will rely heavily on quoting specs using the keyboard attachment.

Tegra 3 and A5X appear to have similar power needs, so no magic bullet for either chip in regards to battery use for high res displays. Also, most people do not run their tablet down to nothing, pluse the time to charge from zero is not six hours. Running down to nothing and charging full takes five hours.

Seems a net zero to me comparing the two chipsets, since both have stengths. The standouts to me is scaling, since the new iPad scales lower res apps and video far better than the Prime. Zoomed games on the Prime and the iPad 2 are blurry, but even low res games zoomed up look good on the iPad. CPU muscle seems the standout for the Tegra 3.

Regardless, after using the evil Apple device since launch, I find using my Tegra 2 Thrive to be dull and laggy in comparison. The one saving grace is game emulators.

Upvote 0
The Infinity should be a great tablet and sans the radio issues of the Prime, but seems presumptous assuming a small battery with a much high res display is going to have great battery life on the Infinity. My guess is Asus will rely heavily on quoting specs using the keyboard attachment.

Tegra 3 and A5X appear to have similar power needs, so no magic bullet for either chip in regards to battery use for high res displays. Also, most people do not run their tablet down to nothing, pluse the time to charge from zero is not six hours. Running down to nothing and charging full takes five hours.

Seems a net zero to me comparing the two chipsets, since both have stengths. The standouts to me is scaling, since the new iPad scales lower res apps and video far better than the Prime. Zoomed games on the Prime and the iPad 2 are blurry, but even low res games zoomed up look good on the iPad. CPU muscle seems the standout for the Tegra 3.

Regardless, after using the evil Apple device since launch, I find using my Tegra 2 Thrive to be dull and laggy in comparison. The one saving grace is game emulators.

Tegra 3 has similar power needs to A5X? They get the same battery life, and the Prime has a battery that is twice as small? What???

5 hours to fully charge??? Dude, That makes me physically ill. I wouldn't ever buy a device that took that long to fully charge. holy COW that is horrible. 5 hours hahahahahahahhaahahahhahahahahahahahahha.

One more time, 5 hours to fully charge???????? hahahahahahahahah sooooooooo crappy!

Upvote 0

Only half way through this thread, and my head is already hurting!

Hey... my son just recently got the new iPad, and I have to say, the screen is beautiful! MUCH nicer then my wife's iPad2's screen.

Not sure how they look in bright sunlight.

I just got the Asus Transformer Prime, and happen to love it! Is it for eveyone?

No.

Of course not.

If my mom, who's in her 80's, wanted to get a tablet (and she's thinking about it), I'd steer her towards an iPad. It's easier to use for those not into technology, all her friends who own tablets have an iPad, and I honestly think FOR HER...it's a better fit.

She also already owns an iPhone, so the transition would be that much easier.

My 13 year old son, who owns a Thunderbolt, got an iPad. Why? I don't know. I personally think the TP blows the new iPad away.

But that's me.

To each his own... obviously, there are PLENTY of people who've bought iPads, and love 'em.

Apple must be doing something right!:p

Upvote 0
That is not with the official charger or a wall socket. Not tried that yet. Usually charge after six hours use, so only one dead charge to go by.

Seems superfluous considering all batteries follow same charge convention, so the Infinity will be no better or worse. The iPad is pushing almost for times the pixels for all apps. Of course the drain will be a lot more. Still have certain electrical circuit and resistance laws. Based on your response, you may not understand that.

Added:

Let us see the results of the Infinity. Comparisons are good.

Upvote 0
That is not with the official charger or a wall socket. Not tried that yet. Usually charge after six hours use, so only one dead charge to go by.

Seems superfluous considering all batteries follow same charge convention, so the Infinity will be no better or worse. The iPad is pushing almost for times the pixels for all apps. Of course the drain will be a lot more. Still have certain electrical circuit and resistance laws. Based on your response, you may not understand that.

Added:

Let us see the results of the Infinity. Comparisons are good.

Simplified: it takes 5-6 hours to charge the new ipad. Fact: that sucks and is horrible.

The battery is twice as big as the Primes (so it takes a lot longer to charge) You see?

If i had the choice between an HD Prime, and this Prime, I would take it handsdown every single time if it meant 1-2 hour charges. Also, I realized I wouldn't have a tegra 3 if I waited for an Infinity. I would rather have a Tegra that is slower than another chip. Nvidia stands behind their products and their games (tegra zone) do more with less every single time.... Tegra games are awesome.

The new ipad was and is an epic fail, considering the same one is selling for 100 less (ipad 2). You never buy in between generation. Always wait for the new improved generation. In one year, all the people who went for a "new" ipad will be burned.

Lets just be realistic, the new iPad sucks. Its an iPad 2... that takes two times longer to charge.... and gives the same use time.... EPIC FAIL.

Upvote 0
I think that's a teeny weeny bit OTT, but there are definitely issues with it - and if developers are p**sed off too, given they can't make games that take full advantage of the chipset because it causes the thing to overheat, Apple will probably have to work quite quickly on the next 'new' iPad.

I can see why people will be swayed by that lovely screen, but if you already had an iPad 2 it seems to me that the best advice would be to jump this one and wait for the 4th generation model - which will almost certainly, no definitely, have a new design too. Just as the iPhone 5 will, and why many iPhone 4 owners didn't get the 4S.

Mind you, I sold my MacBook Air 2010 model for a 2011 model so I guess Apple will get everyone one way or another. :)

Let's be fair - the new iPad has issues, but I bet a lot of the people who got one, or get one, won't be pushing it hard anyway. If you go by what people do when you see them using them on trains or at airports, cafes etc, it's pretty much reading email, web browsing or reading documents (including newspapers/magazines). Despite the power of the chipset, many really powerful 3D games aren't that easy to place with only a touchscreen anyway. I am sure Angry Birds Space won't cause them to burn up (!).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones