NY & NJ EVO Owners, How's the coverage/reception ?

Last Updated:

1. scott99

scott99 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

I'm an iPhone 3G owner at this moment. My contract with AT&T is ending in September. I am seriously thinking of switching back to Sprint and getting an EVO. I had Sprint from 1998-2007, and switched to AT&T to get an iPhone in 2007. I live on Long Island (Great Neck), but spend a lot of time in Manhattan, Queens and Jersey City NJ (where I work). I must admit, from 2007-2008, my reception on my iPhone and then iPhone 3G blew away my coverage I had with Sprint. In my office in Jersey city, I had terrible reception with Sprint, and much better reception with AT&T.

Fast forward to 2009 & 2010, and I'm experiencing terrible coverage with AT&T in Jersey City NJ, and some parts on NYC and Long Island. On a trip home from a trip to Tenessee, while in Virginia, my sister who's on my AT&T plan had great reception (she doesn't have an iPhone), and mine was nill on my iPhone.

So I was wondering, how is the Sprint reception in NYC with the EVO, and you NJ EVO owners, please chime in as well, especially if you are in Jersey City. Thanks for any input, it may help me make a decision between the EVO or iPhone 4. The iPhone 4's new construction, with the antanae integrated in the case may make the reception better, so I need to read reviews on that as well.

Advertisement
  2. phearx

phearx Well-Known Member

I have great reception (Queens NY), but when I had my HTC hero on Sprint I constantly got dropped calls. With the Evo I get clear reception with no dropped calls as of yet. But It's better that you get the EVO soon so you can try it out for 30 days, so if you decide to switch you can get the iphone 4 in time of release. Hope it works out with whatever you decide.

scott99 likes this.
  3. nycbhh

nycbhh Well-Known Member

Hi Scott, I just came from a 3G and the signal I’m getting on the EVO blows away the signal (or lack of one) I was getting on the 3G. I work in the World Trade Center area and I would only have a signal at work on the 3G maybe 10% or 20% of the time. Now I’m getting signal almost 100% of the time, even in elevators and some subway stations. I’m also getting a great signal at home in Washington Heights. YMMV, but I am thrilled to finally be getting cell phone reception again. That said, I am having an issue with staying connected to the internet which I’m about to post about in a separate thread because I suspect it is related more to the phone then the network (it problem usually corrects itself when I reboot).

scott99 likes this.
  4. Rhonen

Rhonen Well-Known Member

I've been a Sprint customer in the NYC area for over 6 years. I've never had a problem with coverage or dropped calls. I can even get reception in several subway stations.

I currently live in Brooklyn and never have coverage issues. When I visit my parents in NJ (Manchester), I have full signal strength the whole way. In the NY/NJ area, Sprint coverage is excellent.

scott99 likes this.
  5. freshbasil

freshbasil Active Member

Been a customer for 2 years now while living in Manhattan and haven't had an issue. Coverage is also good when visiting friends and family in LI, PA, MD and NJ. In more rural areas, I usually pick up the 1x Verizon service - which is slow on data, but fine on text/voice.

Hope that helps

scott99 likes this.
  6. vikingjunior

vikingjunior Well-Known Member

The EVO has a very strong radio much better then my BB Tour and of course Sprint is very solid in NY always has been.

scott99 likes this.
  7. joc5785

joc5785 Member

I am in midtown Manhattan and have not had a problem with coverage, a great feeling coming from my iPhone which always seemed to give me trouble.

scott99 likes this.
  8. scott99

scott99 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm actually going to wait until September to make my move. I don't want to have to pay several phone bills to try the EVO. If I try it now, even if I get my trial month free (June), that means I'd have to pay two bills each for July & August (AT&T & Sprint). I'm not the type that needs things at launch, I like to do research.