NYT asks Should You Buy the EVO? Pros and Cons of the Next Big Android Phone

Last Updated:

1. Bic101

Bic101 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Well-Known Member

That is a terrible article. It makes me crazy when people review gadgets without having one in-hand.

3. HarryKeogh

HarryKeogh Active Member

Awesome. It's going to have 730p recording! That's 10 better than I expected!!!

Covert_Death likes this.
  4. bunnymud

bunnymud Well-Known Member

So with all the bells and whistles it's still cheaper than an iPhone monthly

5. Bic101

Bic101 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

6. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Well-Known Member

LOL too hilarious.

7. ayman86

ayman86 Well-Known Member

kickstand as a con? if you list this as a con, that speaks volumes about the phone itself
    flash cant be a con as you dont have to use it

everything else are valid points IMO

8. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Not to mention that the writer doesn't even mention the unlimited Mobile to Mobile. This has been huge for my company. We went from using around 10,000.00 minutes to around 4000.00... I mean seriously I am not a fan boy at all but they save me a crap load of cash

Update:
    I saw that she addressed this in the comments but still go back and change the New York Times post

9. ZombieRace

ZombieRace Member

"Cons:

Umm, kickstand?"

10. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

The mobile hotspot thing is more than optional, and I doubt more than 10% of the people with Evo's get it.

11. evotitans

evotitans Well-Known Member

That has to be one of the worst written articles I have seen so far.

Why even try to review a phone you havent even used? And just compiling info from other bloggers/sites?

I like how she questioned the pricing even with the add on $10. So 79.99 for 450 minutes with unlimited everything else......

Umm hello, she forgets to mention that Sprint already has unlimited mobile to ANY Carrier mobile minutes....nights and weekends starting at 7pm.

Great way to write a review/blog, by leaving information out.

12. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

The article didn't post anything not already known, and it's summary of being expensive is flawed. Of course it will cost more than the cheapest Android options available - it's a new, high-end phone designed for people who want to consume a lot of data. What about not ever having to worry about what you stream, download, or upload due to size or speed?

Her summary is analagous to anyone that would say if you want to take advantage of websurfing, a high-end Mac sure is an expensive way to do it. Well, if you want cheap and to just websurf, don't get a Mac. Get an iPad or netbook of some type.

And yes, it's ridiculous to try to evaluate a device without using it.

And this is coming from the same online media outlet that plans to charge people after they access the NYT online site a still-unknown-to-me number of times. Wow, that's genuine!

13. SprintFun

I just posted the following comment on the Author's primary website "ReadWriteWeb":

14. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

The funniest part is when they mention the amount of minutes on the plan saying that if you want more, you'll have to add $30. What they fail to mention is the free nights and weekends, as well as the free mobile-to-mobile, so those limited minutes are only for land lines...that's just too funny.

15. Rigmaster

Note to Mr. Hesse: Charge NYT employees $100/mo for Evo so this article make sense.

16. Federer

Federer Well-Known Member

What about the update to froyo? It said sprint wouldnt even comment on the evo getting it in the future... We should all return our evos after 29 days if sprint will not confirm the update.

17. Rigmaster

Sprint, HTC, and Google have all alluded to Evo getting Froyo after N1. I don't keep track of everything I read, but I'm pretty sure I recall one of the three of them saying about 6 weeks after Evo release. Even if that meant from the supposed original mid-July release, we should still see Froyo by end-August.

I personally believe Sprint, HTC, and Google all want Froyo on this phone asap because Evo will be able to showcase Froyo far better than any other phone this summer.

clambert1273 likes this.
  18. wjrandon

wjrandon Well-Known Member

The author sounds like a whiny Apple fanboy sad their precious plastic has been dethrone. Love live King Evo!

19. SprintFun

I don't get that impression. Just because they may be uninformed doesn't mean they're some butthurt apple fanboy. And they do a pretty good job of gushing over the Evo where it is deserved.