O S browser upgrade?Support

Last Updated:

1. Galo1950

Galo1950 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've been trying to find threads specifically for the S, but haven't, so...
    Is there a better browser or is one even needed for the S (I know of Opera and the Firefox beta)?
    I haven't done much surfing yet(I can't where I work-bowels of a med/sci bldg, no signal), but...

Thank you for any ideas :)

Advertisement
  2. jinwons

jinwons Well-Known Member

The stock android 2.2 browser seems pretty fast and good. The only drawback is not tabbed browsing, but I'm ok with multiple windows. So I don't feel the need for alternative browser much, but I installed Dolphin HD. It has tabs on top and better UI with similar browsing speed. Opera mini is another good one, but I'm not so comfortable with its tab interface. It caches, compresses the web pages on their server before loading it to the phone to increase speed. But sometimes that process simplifies the page in some weird way. Opera mobile 10.1 is probably without such problem. If you need flash video, you may try skyfire though I feel it a little buggy than others and don't like facebook integration.

3. K4KAI

K4KAI Well-Known Member

You might try the free app DolphinBrowser HD. I like it better than the default browser, but as each of us likes different things....you might find something else you like better, such as Opera or something else. Do a Market search on "browsers". Surely, you will find something you like (and yes, I know your name isn't "Surely";).

4. jinwons

I like Dolphin HD too. It has good UI and many features not included in the stock browser. My only gripe is it feels a little heavy and slower. I saw the news that they developed Dolphin mini which is much lighter, faster, but I didn't find it on the android market yet. Has anyone tried it?

5. NOMster

NOMster Well-Known Member

Get steel. Its faster than any but its basic.

6. Galo1950

Thanks for the in-put! And KK, thanks for the "surely" ;);)

7. Jessicalt1

Jessicalt1 Well-Known Member

Dolphin HD is a good one, but if you want to view videos... you can try Skyfire. It will usually let me on sites that other browsers have problems with.

8. jinwons

Has anyone tried new opera mobile 10.1? I thinking of installing either opera mobile or skyfire, but not both. Is skyfire stable, smooth on Optimus?

9. Kmfiremedic111

Kmfiremedic111 Well-Known Member

I tried skyfire and Dolphin HD. Found both are good but very busy with stuff. I uninstalled both and stuck with original browser. Sometimes the original is the best. In my humble opinion.

10. Galo1950

Very true! I'm not much on experimenting, so I'll just stay with the original 'til I get the urge...

Thanks all!!!

11. jinwons

Yeah, the stock android browser in 2.2 is really good one. It's pretty fast and stable. But I wish it had tab on top toolbar instead of multiple windows. That's why I like to have couple of alternative browsers.

I really like the bottom toolbar on the Opera mini with back, forward, stop, reload and tab windows. Dolphin HD has nice tab on top similar to Chrome. I will probably end up with faster Dolphin mini, and Opera mobile once they come out of beta.

12. MarylandBill

MarylandBill Member

I liked Opera Mini... I think it is the best friend of anyone who wants to browse on a feature phone or an older smart phone that is stuck with EVDO Rev 0. On the Optimus or other newer Android Phones, I think there are better browsers...

--
    Bill