o2 c'mon where is froyo

Last Updated:

1. jay_snizzel

jay_snizzel Active Member This Topic's Starter

As the title says, no updates from O2 to say when they expect Froyo to be re-released, nothing from the @o2 on Twitter nothing from no one except people asking the same question as me.
    Where is it?!

Advertisement
  2. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

Didn't they put it up for one morning last week then pull it because it killed a load of Desires?

3. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

lol i think many people are asking the same to HTC where their update went aswell.

not just o2 mate, something is amis with the wireless delivery system it seems

jay_snizzel likes this.
  4. jay_snizzel

Yeah o2 had delayed the release of it as they wanted to test it etc, then after the testing they released it last week, and after complaints that it was bricking Desire's they pulled it with no mention of when it will be ready!

Good to see that the o2 QA team are working hard for the money they're paid.

:)

5. Rastaman-FB

well actually the update itself is fine, its been tested by many here as its the same as the RRU o2 package that got leaked 3 weeks ago.

its the wireless delivery thats the issue and im guessing thats why its been pulled as its still delivered by htc once its been accredited for release.

all updates have risk even if its the best quality update round. there are too many variables that can cause issues especially wireless as it doesnt wipe the device content and user cache.

as for bricks, people use this term too loosely. it can be recovered by manually flashing the RUU package as o2 germany have already uploaded and tested which means its not a brick. just a software failure.
    True bricks cannot be recovered

jay_snizzel likes this.
  6. jay_snizzel

OK well thanks for clearing that up

7. Rastaman-FB

if you dont want to wait for it you can flash the o2 RUU package, it will wipe the device but it will be the official o2 uk package so it will not voice warranty

jay_snizzel likes this.
  8. jay_snizzel

Thanks but I think I'll just wait a little longer and get it OTA.

9. williamj1

williamj1 Well-Known Member

I have to say, i'm pretty disappointed with O2 on this one.

Luckily, I was one of the very few who got it officially OTA when O2 released it before pulling it again and mine installed with no problems or difficulties whatsoever.

Having said that, they have still clogged up the memory with all that random german sat nav stuff which is incredibly frustrating.

Unfortunately though, I think really all you can do is sit and wait or root. And I wouldn't even bother asking customer services - I tried before and literally 2 of the 10 employees I spoke to had heard of android, and neither knew what the hell froyo was. As is ever the case with O2, if it isn't an iPhone, they simply aren't interested.

10. Rastaman-FB

thing is though can you blame o2 if htc are pulling their own updates?

11. Jingizu99

Jingizu99 New Member

I waited about as long as I could handle and then just went vanilla froyo. O2 debranding and degunking is now done and the entire process was easy. Now I don't have to rely on O2 for updates. Sure I've invalidated my warranty most likely, but that's only for software issues - I'd trust vanilla froyo more than O2 froyo...

12. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

Same here m8,i got fed up waiting for o2 so i created a gold card and flashed the HTC generic rom onto my phone and am now running the latest version of 2.2 and i dont have to wait for o2 to their act together,all future OTA firmware upgrades will come from HTC directly ;)

13. Rastaman-FB

people dont read, htc pulled their latest update too.
    if you want to re-validate your warrantee theres an o2 rru 2.2 official package available.

many people on the earlier stock froyo missed the wireless update before it got pulled from official HTC aswell.

most times i blame providers for alot of things but i think its unfair to blame o2 for pulling a wireless update when htc have pulled theirs from the same wireless delivery system.

get their act together? you do realise that they released it and pulled it for your best interest?
    the software itself worked fine the only problem was wireless delivery and htc have pulled their own from that so it shows theres a problem with the system being used to deliver it.

use the RRU if you want an official o2 build of froyo

debranded is better though just cos its debranded