• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
watch out, if it's anything like Vodafone, they new FUP is introduced universally, covering all contracts including existing... you can only get out if you can prove it has increased your bills (same happened last year with TMobile and Orange, although they screwed up)

There is this risk, but I recorded 670MB in 20 days of my monthly billing and I think for some of that time I was still on a blackberry.

Upvote 0
watch out, if it's anything like Vodafone, they new FUP is introduced universally, covering all contracts including existing... you can only get out if you can prove it has increased your bills (same happened last year with TMobile and Orange, although they screwed up)

Can they legally do that?

If they change the contract am I not able to leave the contract without having to pay any drop out fees?

Upvote 0
Can they legally do that?

If they change the contract am I not able to leave the contract without having to pay any drop out fees?

Its touch and go. When o2 changed it so 0800 and 0845 numbers were no longer free, a colleague of mine rang them and said he was not happy, they terminated his contract and let him keep the phone.

Whether we can argue our way out of it though, I am unsure.

I'll call them

Upvote 0
maybe so, mate, just a warning based on experiences. O2 have been my favourite carrier, but they were so tight when it came to upgrades a year ago (they were downgrades, really) that I went elsewhere... they're all about as bad as the other, a necessary evil!!

O2 are the best for the places I live/visit a lot, and they're the only ones who (currently) have an "unlimited" plan that I'll likely never hit the limit, so I chose them :D

Upvote 0
I spoke to o2, they said it wouldn't effect existing contracts. Only. New ones taken out after October or renewing existing contracts after October. Orange did indeed attempt something last year whereby they tried to alter the standard call charges to existing customers once they had used up there free minutes. They claimed initially that only a handful of customers would be effected. And they would be free to leave should they wish. What they failed to take into account was that phones 4 u, carphone warehouse etc, were using this to get customers to terminate their contracts early, so they could sell them a new contract. Orange backed down after a fortnight and reversed there decision to alter existing contracts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones