O2 phone coverage West Midlands

Last Updated:

1. Steve_S_T

Steve_S_T Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

We had a shock at work yesterday when our Orange bill arrived charging me

Advertisement
  2. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

O2 no longer do unlimited data plans,they stopped them in june.

All they do is up to 1gb plans and unlimited wifi.

Saying that the coverage in wolverhampton is very good.

http://www.webmap.o2.co.uk/map.asp

3. Desire D

Desire D Well-Known Member

I don't think any of the UK networks now do truly unlimited packages, check the 02 site, think there are 500mb or 1GB packages for new customers. My Virgin contract is 1GB a month, not sure about the others.

1.5GB a month is serious usage, you need to install something like 3G Watchdog and fast. Have you been using Youtube or similar?

Hope you manage to reach a settlement with Orange over your bill :(

EDIT: I type too slow

4. Steve_S_T

They're sending me an itemised list of my data usage but actually I do very little YouTube/ video watching. I'd also add that when I'm at home and work downloads should be coming down through my routers on WiFi, which makes the data usage even more ridiculous. Previously I was on the BlackBerry Internet Service (until the end of June), and on that you don't pay much attention to e-mails etc as it's all inclusive, but on Android I've been using K-9 mail which automatically downloads attachments at the moment. One of my customers frequently sends out e-mails, sometime 10 a day, with Excel documents attached and these easily average 5mb each. A few days of that would increase the data usage significantly, and some podcasts I download can be over 100mb, but I'll see what this report that Orange send me says. In the meantime I'll install 3G Watchdog (thanks for the tip Desire D) and keep my eye on things.

Seems I misread the O2 blurb and that it's the WiFi that's unlimited, not the data. What does unlimited WiFi mean anyway - does that mean free connection to BT Openzone and public networks such as on Virgin Trains?

5. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

I believe it means unlimited access to the Wifi Zone - The Cloud that you can get in mcdonalds and wetherspoon pubs.

6. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

T-Mobile are best as they offer a 3gb limit for Android phones. If you go over that I don't think you get charged, only restricted to certain hours.

7. Steve_S_T

Tried T Mobile once and didn't get on well with them, plus it was extra painful for me as they were sponsors of West Bromwich Albion at the time, euggghh! Wonder if that 3gb allowance will drop when the merger with Orange takes full effect?

8. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

You must have been doing some serious streaming.

Hope your boss is understanding, as mine would simply pass me the bill and tell me its coming out of my wages!

Another vote for Tmobile.

9. Steve_S_T

Ha ha, fortunately I am my boss.

Steve.

10. master_yoda

master_yoda Well-Known Member

You could try the 3 network. I have very good 3G coverage here in the west midlands on 3, and if you lose the signal it roams on orange 2G. Most 3 contracts come with 1GB of data and for an extra 5 pound you can add an extra 2GB per month.