o2 with Android and HTC Desire

Last Updated:

1. Fatspark

Fatspark New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello.

I have recently made the move back to o2 - the grass was not greener on the other side.

I have taken delivery of the HTC desire, and am not really happy.

The signal is poor. Out of 4 possible bars, I only get 1 or 2 when at home.

I checked out the 3g coverage with o2 and the map says that the coverage is excellent. Post code is OL14 7HB.

When I see the low signal bars, 'H' is displayed, so I assume that the signal bars are showing the 3g HSDPA signal strength.

If change the network settings to GSM only, the signal bars shoot up to full.

My question is;

When I am in an area of low 3g coverage, should the Desire automatically revert to 2g, and in the case of me being at home, show full signal?

I am not bothered about not having a great 3g coverage at home as I use Wi-Fi, but am bothered that if my phone is set to GSM/WCDMA Auto, that I will not get calls.

In the GSM/WCDMA Auto mode, what has priority GSM or WCDMA and if the priority one goes off or low signal, does the secondary one kick in?

Thanks in advance.

Fatzzz

Advertisement
  2. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

I think the 'auto' option means that your phone uses GSM by default, but can turn on WCDMA automatically when you, for example, start a sync, check email, or click an internet bookmark.

Maybe install a switch on your homescreen that switches from 3G to 2G when you're at home using wi-fi? Then you get a good GSM signal for calls and texts and you won't need to worry about the 3G quality.

3. DjLukeW

DjLukeW Well-Known Member

Just leave it on GPRS unless you need 3G. Its what I do. My city has got amazing 3G/H coverrage, but I live in an old house that gets only 1bar on 3G.

You can get a widget to switch 3G on or off

4. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member

Do o2 offer a 'cooling off' period if you take out a new contract?

I know this came into the UK last year I think, but not sure if all providers use it.

Basically if you get home and you haven't got signal, you're entitled to cancel your contract. This might help you find another provider to help you.

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

If you're on h and go to 0 bars signal, it will switch to the next best which nay have a stronger signal. Are you having issues with call quality or straight to voicemail? If not don't worry. It's working as designed

6. DjLukeW

DjLukeW Well-Known Member

yes you can if you get 0 signal, but if you get a good 2G signal and youve used your phone then they dont have to return it as it does work.

Personally I do coverage check swith all of my sales and attatch it to contracts so nobody can call me a liar :)