obdii apps... do they exist?

1. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised that the search came back empty on this subject.

Anyway... Are there any apps available for android that allow you to check engine codes and reset your check engine light? I know there are cables available for WinMo units that allow you to interface via usb... but I doubt any phones available right now have usb-host. There are also Bluetooth and Wifi dongles available, which would be more plausible for this sort of thing. (I believe the older phones like the G1 only had bluetooth profile for headsets, but I don't know about the newer phones.)

Also, I know apps like this exist for the iPhone. This is an example:

iPhone OBD-II app - Hack a Day

If nothing like this exists, perhaps a developer would like to take a stab at it? I'm sure it would gain quite a bit of interest. :)

Advertisement
  2. Mike Padu

Mike Padu New Member

I was contacted by a guy from the University of Colorado that is working a on app for the Android. No time table was discussed.

Obd2 Scanners
  3. caliwagon

caliwagon Member

Add me to the list of people who would really love an OBD-II app for Android. Rev for the iPhone seems legit--wish we got something like that. The dyno apps are decent enough for now, but combining the two concepts would be awesome.
  4. prerunnerseth

prerunnerseth Well-Known Member

Im on for this too... would love to see it paired with a bluetooth obd scanner device.
  5. itype2slo

itype2slo Well-Known Member

That would be one of the most useful apps out there for us gearheads!
  6. thenapolitan

thenapolitan Active Member

i'm definitely in on this one! This would be sick! Add me to the list if there is one :)
  7. mully

mully Well-Known Member

I would also love an app for that.
  8. Coolsaber57

Coolsaber57 Member

Fantastic idea!
  9. malcom2073

malcom2073 Well-Known Member

It has begun....

[​IMG]
  10. thenapolitan

beta testing? :)
  11. malcom2073

Sure. Gimme a few days to polish up the UI. I have to add the ability to select from a list of currently paired devices to use, it's hardcoded to my bluetooth device atm :)

What kind of BT obd2 dongle do you have?

Edit: Ah I forgot... this is only for Android 2.0 since it has the new Bluetooth stuff
  12. thenapolitan

Well, I don't have a BT dongle...but would LOVE to get one. Any ideas where I could?
  13. malcom2073

RazzMaTazz likes this.
  14. malcom2073

New look to the gauge, I think this one is a lot better. I've also got the bluetooth communication in a service and stable now, ran it for the 30 minute drive home today.

[​IMG]
  15. JDuc

JDuc Well-Known Member

Sweet looking work there Mal! :)
  16. Verio

Verio Active Member

17. thenapolitan

I'll definitely be getting the BT connector! That looks awesome! What types of stats will we be able to view? I'm looking for all those and Voltage and stuff. I think the GM Tech II will show everything from the crank positioning sensor, to the knock sensors and how each spark plug is firing. Would be GREAT to have this all in the palm of your hand.
  18. bemenaker

bemenaker Well-Known Member

There is a lot of work on ODBII stuff that happens over at MP3Car.com in the forums. If you run into any issues with this app, that would be a good place to get information. They also have some libraries there available.
  19. JDuc

JDuc Well-Known Member

lol - I think malcom2073 knows all too well about the Mp3Car forums...;)

as do I...but that's rather inconsequential...lol
  20. bemenaker

bemenaker Well-Known Member

my user name is the same there too....

had this phone been out a year ago, I probably wouldn't have done that too my car...

*end thread hijack* :D
  21. malcom2073

Lol indeed. Fancy seeing you here.

I think I want to eventually incorperate datalogging and accelerometer/gps data in, but that will be a bit down the road.
  22. Fadelight

Is this going to be just a datalogger, or will you be able to pull/reset codes as well?
  23. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I'd like to have one just so I don't have to carry that stupid scanner around.
  24. malcom2073

I plan on having datalogging of OBD2 data to start. I am also looking into having "Addons" possible to allow datalogging of other things including GPS and accelerometers.

I also now have a name for it: OBDroid :)
  25. Fadelight

Love it!! I can't wait to see where this goes. Thanks for stepping up to the challenge!