• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

obdii apps... do they exist?

Love it!! I can't wait to see where this goes. Thanks for stepping up to the challenge!

No problem, I'm learning a LOT about java and android doing this, and loving it :).

Come early January, I'm going be spending 9 hours in a car on the way to CES, so I'll have time to play with this with two different bluetooth scantools (the cheapie one, and the expensive one). That ought to let me get 99% of the bugs worked out of the actual bluetooth communication code.

Upvote 0
No problem, I'm learning a LOT about java and android doing this, and loving it :).

Come early January, I'm going be spending 9 hours in a car on the way to CES, so I'll have time to play with this with two different bluetooth scantools (the cheapie one, and the expensive one). That ought to let me get 99% of the bugs worked out of the actual bluetooth communication code.

Awesome work. I'll be at CES as well, you should buy me a beer...err...I'll buy you a beer! Hit me up on PM...Same goes to any other members that will be there...

Upvote 0
I have a working beta app complete. If anyone is interested in being a beta tester let me know. Requirements would be:

Android 2.0+ phone
Bluetooth OBD2 dongle

Gaugedisp-1.png

Gaugedisp-2.png

Gaugedisp-3.png

Upvote 0
Alright so I've gotten the gauges pretty much solid... what I need now is a beta tester that has a repeatable check engine light! (Odd request, right?). I think after I get trouble codes working, I'll be able to release at least a trouble code reader (without the gauges for now), just to get something out there on the market.

Upvote 0
Hi Malcom, does your app require the BT OBD interface from scantool.net? I saw a cheaper, smaller ELM327 module and wondered if it would work?

DealExtreme: $54.67 ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle

Is there anything special about the OBDLink device that this cheaper BT module could not do?

It would be cool to get telemetry information from OBD-II and combine it with the accelerometer in the phone to provide G-force data during a drive, as well as GPS location. Could all of that be combined into a datalog file (speed, rpm, throttle position, braking, g-forces, etc.)?

This guy wrote a tool for Linux to gather all kinds of information and log it: OBD GPS Logger for Linux and OSX

Do you need USB to get enough of a sampling rate, or is BT fast enough?

I have the HTC Hero with Sprint (currently Android-1.6). Once I get an interface device, I could try it out.

Jared

Upvote 0
jrj:

I have tested with the dealextreme device, and can confirm that it works.
One of the eventual intents of this application is to datalog things like acceleromters, gps, and the like along with OBD2 data. I actually know the guy who wrote the obd2gps logger, and have worked with him extensivly on OBD2 related stuff.

I have not managed to get the 1.6 backport working, so for now the application is 2.0+ only.

Hi Malcom, does your app require the BT OBD interface from scantool.net? I saw a cheaper, smaller ELM327 module and wondered if it would work?

DealExtreme: $54.67 ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle

Is there anything special about the OBDLink device that this cheaper BT module could not do?

It would be cool to get telemetry information from OBD-II and combine it with the accelerometer in the phone to provide G-force data during a drive, as well as GPS location. Could all of that be combined into a datalog file (speed, rpm, throttle position, braking, g-forces, etc.)?

This guy wrote a tool for Linux to gather all kinds of information and log it: OBD GPS Logger for Linux and OSX

Do you need USB to get enough of a sampling rate, or is BT fast enough?

I have the HTC Hero with Sprint (currently Android-1.6). Once I get an interface device, I could try it out.

Jared

Upvote 0
I don't think it's quite as fast, however the main advantage of the Scantool device is that it implements an extra set of commands to greatly extend what the tool can do. For right now, they are about equal for this particular application. I will always keep base elm327 compatibility though, so any elm327 should in theory work.

Also, the cheaper ELM clones (like the dealextreme device) don't read right on some vehicles.

Upvote 0
will this pull engine codes as well? eg: oxygen sensor broken, etc.

Yes, I'm currently working on that feature right now, and will release a DTC reader on the market without gauges as soon as I am finished. I'm thinking free DTC reader, and $0.99 to clear the DTC,

i need this :) thx

Glad to hear it, it should be available soon :)

Don't most newer vehicles throw a code if you leave your gas cap off? That might be an easier way to check if it is reading trouble codes rather than looking for someone with a CEL.

Yeah.... that's what I thought, my 2002 does not :/. My next thought is gonna be to unplug a spark plug or an injector, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Upvote 0
Yeah.... that's what I thought, my 2002 does not :/. My next thought is gonna be to unplug a spark plug or an injector, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Just find someone with an Audi S4. We call our dash warning lights "Christmas tree lights" because they hardly ever go out. It's sad but true.

If you lived near me, I have a ton of cars throwing CELs that you could use to test with.

Upvote 0
I finally gave in and did the $25 fee to get a developer account on google. I'm going to put up a free DTC reader under the premise that it's a beta, give people a chance to download and try it if they have a reader without having to contact me and get me to send them an apk file. Hopefully that will expidite working out any bugs that may remain.

Upvote 0
i already have a VAGCOM cable which is for vw/audis and i can control every aspect of the computer and do logging and stuff but this is so much easier on me as i dont need to boot up my netbook which i keep in my hatch near my spare tire. pretty nice i can do it on the fly and also use it on all types of cars. think im gonna grab the bluetooth dongle thing and test it out.

quick question.. is it able to display boost levels? my GTI is a turbo powered car and even though i have a boost gauge (its analog) and id like to get a more accurate reading if possible

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones