obdii apps... do they exist?

1. malcom2073

malcom2073 Well-Known Member

No problem, I'm learning a LOT about java and android doing this, and loving it :).

Come early January, I'm going be spending 9 hours in a car on the way to CES, so I'll have time to play with this with two different bluetooth scantools (the cheapie one, and the expensive one). That ought to let me get 99% of the bugs worked out of the actual bluetooth communication code.
  2. BOO5TED

BOO5TED Well-Known Member

Man, this would be the best app of all. :D
  3. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Awesome work. I'll be at CES as well, you should buy me a beer...err...I'll buy you a beer! Hit me up on PM...Same goes to any other members that will be there...
  4. malcom2073

I have a working beta app complete. If anyone is interested in being a beta tester let me know. Requirements would be:

Android 2.0+ phone
    Bluetooth OBD2 dongle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. BOO5TED

BOO5TED Well-Known Member

Grrrrrrrrrr.......... :(

Looks really good tho.
  6. malcom2073

Well, thanks to backport.android.bluetooth, I believe I will be able to support 1.6 now. Anyone who wishes to try it for 1.6 let me know... I'd be interested to see if this works.

There IS a way to make a linux computer with a bluetooth adapter act like a bluetooth OBD2 dongle just for testing btw ;)
  7. indiana542003

indiana542003 New Member

Subscribed!
  8. malcom2073

Alright so I've gotten the gauges pretty much solid... what I need now is a beta tester that has a repeatable check engine light! (Odd request, right?). I think after I get trouble codes working, I'll be able to release at least a trouble code reader (without the gauges for now), just to get something out there on the market.
  9. curtdragon

curtdragon Active Member

Looks good, sorry not CEL here, however I think if you know where your O2 sensors are you can most likely trip a code if you disconnect one of them for a short while. Most cars tend to need to you to run for about 15 minutes or have 3-4 start cycles
  10. indiana542003

indiana542003 New Member

I have a friend with a CEL on in his truck I could try it out on. I was more interested in a code reader app anyway.
  11. jrj127

jrj127 New Member

Hi Malcom, does your app require the BT OBD interface from scantool.net? I saw a cheaper, smaller ELM327 module and wondered if it would work?

DealExtreme: $54.67 ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle

Is there anything special about the OBDLink device that this cheaper BT module could not do?

It would be cool to get telemetry information from OBD-II and combine it with the accelerometer in the phone to provide G-force data during a drive, as well as GPS location. Could all of that be combined into a datalog file (speed, rpm, throttle position, braking, g-forces, etc.)?

This guy wrote a tool for Linux to gather all kinds of information and log it: OBD GPS Logger for Linux and OSX

Do you need USB to get enough of a sampling rate, or is BT fast enough?

I have the HTC Hero with Sprint (currently Android-1.6). Once I get an interface device, I could try it out.

Jared
  12. malcom2073

jrj:

I have tested with the dealextreme device, and can confirm that it works.
    One of the eventual intents of this application is to datalog things like acceleromters, gps, and the like along with OBD2 data. I actually know the guy who wrote the obd2gps logger, and have worked with him extensivly on OBD2 related stuff.

I have not managed to get the 1.6 backport working, so for now the application is 2.0+ only.

13. jrj127

jrj127 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply! Is there any advantage to buying the more expensive Scantool device? Can the cheap Dealextreme device connect at 38400 baud and stream all the information you need fast enough?
  14. malcom2073

I don't think it's quite as fast, however the main advantage of the Scantool device is that it implements an extra set of commands to greatly extend what the tool can do. For right now, they are about equal for this particular application. I will always keep base elm327 compatibility though, so any elm327 should in theory work.

Also, the cheaper ELM clones (like the dealextreme device) don't read right on some vehicles.
  15. zyxwvu44

zyxwvu44 Active Member

will this pull engine codes as well? eg: oxygen sensor broken, etc.
  16. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

Don't most newer vehicles throw a code if you leave your gas cap off? That might be an easier way to check if it is reading trouble codes rather than looking for someone with a CEL.
  17. davros

davros Well-Known Member

i need this :) thx
  18. malcom2073

Yes, I'm currently working on that feature right now, and will release a DTC reader on the market without gauges as soon as I am finished. I'm thinking free DTC reader, and $0.99 to clear the DTC,

Glad to hear it, it should be available soon :)

Yeah.... that's what I thought, my 2002 does not :/. My next thought is gonna be to unplug a spark plug or an injector, but I haven't gotten around to it.
  19. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

Just find someone with an Audi S4. We call our dash warning lights "Christmas tree lights" because they hardly ever go out. It's sad but true.

If you lived near me, I have a ton of cars throwing CELs that you could use to test with.
  20. zyxwvu44

zyxwvu44 Active Member

awesome, well worth $.99
  21. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

i gotta CEL in delaware if anyone wants to test :D lol
  22. DarkOwnage

DarkOwnage New Member

Wow! This would be an AWESOME application to have man! I can't possibly thank you so much for doing this for us! Thanks :D!
  23. malcom2073

I finally gave in and did the $25 fee to get a developer account on google. I'm going to put up a free DTC reader under the premise that it's a beta, give people a chance to download and try it if they have a reader without having to contact me and get me to send them an apk file. Hopefully that will expidite working out any bugs that may remain.
  24. malcom2073

Search for OBDroid or obd2 and you'll find it, I have released a beta on the market.

Edit for a QR Code

Attached Files:

OhGrossAZ likes this.
  25. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

i already have a VAGCOM cable which is for vw/audis and i can control every aspect of the computer and do logging and stuff but this is so much easier on me as i dont need to boot up my netbook which i keep in my hatch near my spare tire. pretty nice i can do it on the fly and also use it on all types of cars. think im gonna grab the bluetooth dongle thing and test it out.

quick question.. is it able to display boost levels? my GTI is a turbo powered car and even though i have a boost gauge (its analog) and id like to get a more accurate reading if possible