OC Kernel keeps going back from 1300 to stock 1000 on reboots

Last Updated:

1. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I edited the build prop for stagefright, unrelated to kernel, and rebooted, and the 1.3 is now 1.0 again.

This happens on a nandroid restore as well. Goes back to stock kernel - this was never the case on the D1.
    Any advice?

Advertisement
  2. Cilraaz

Cilraaz Well-Known Member

It sounds like you missed the optional steps in this post, which make the change permanent. Otherwise, you're just dumping values into /proc/overclock. Anything in /proc is refreshed on reboot, so there has to be a script to put those values back into /proc/overclock.

3. inssane

<optional(only do after thoroughly testing what works for your DroidX in setscaling.sh)>
    # cp install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    # chmod 755 /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    </optional>

# mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mcblk1p21 /system

Run Instructions

adb/terminal:

$ su
    # insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
    # setscaling.sh

Run ALL of these in order?
    I don't think I did it because it said optional, and there was no explanation as to what it did.

4. Cilraaz

Mount R/W before those two steps. Mount back to R/O afterward. That will make your changes permanent.

The install-recovery.sh script simply includes the insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko and /system/xbin/setscaling.sh commands. It will be run on boot, resetting the frequency and voltage options you've put in your setscaling.sh file every reboot.

Make sure that your phone is stable at the values in your setscaling.sh before you make it permanent. Also, if you decide to try different values (higher clock, lower voltage, etc), I'd suggest renaming the install-recovery.sh script to a .bak before doing so. Otherwise, you may get stuck in a boot loop if the CPU isn't able to operate on the new settings (and this script is constantly trying to set those values).

inssane likes this.
  5. inssane

overclock.ko file "exists" but is failing when I run the code in term em.

Suggestions?

Mounted as RW - I only ran the one click program mentioned before, so I edit the frequencies and it just installs them. I am assuming it uses the same commands as the manual way.

6. Cilraaz

The insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko command is failing? What error is it failing with? If the file is indeed in /system/lib/modules and it's still failing, it may have become corrupted somewhere between the initial download and move to its final destination.