• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Occasonial email not left on server

winky

Dec 9, 2009
I check my POP email account with my Hero and have the setting set so that the emails are left on the server. However, every once in a while, an email that I get on my phone will later not be downloaded when I check my email on my laptop.

Any help or thoughts?

This started happening to me when Virgin, my isp, recently dropped there own mail servers in favour of google mail services to host the virgin email accounts.
On the old servers it was working as expected.
Even though I had set not to delete emails on download on the Hero the google mail server deleted them so I didnt get them on my laptop.

I havnt been able to fix it so far. So have been using webmail instead through the web browser on my Hero. Actualy it works quite well as its optimised for smartphones.

Edit:
Just done a quick search.
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/virgin_adsl/3709339-virgin-mail-changing-to-google-platform.html
Maybe the same setting of the pop download for all messages will help you.
Im trying it myself over the next day or so.

Gordon

Upvote 0
Gordon, could you not use IMAP in stead of POP? That way keeping track of coppies of emails on the server/phone/pc isn't an issue, because there's only one copy of the email but it's viewable from any of those devices.

I'd suggest IMAP for you too if it's available winky (don't know if it is though, since you didnt mention how it's set up).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones