OC'ed Droid VS Nexus One

Last Updated:

1. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I got a chance to use the N1 today. A coworker brought it in; brand new, no apps installed. The thing is pretty damn fast. Definitely faster and smoother than my Droid was stock. So the story starts with him asking if I'm impressed with the speed. He's been talking down my phone ever since he ordered it. Of course I wasn't, since I'm running BB ROM @800, my Droid was definitely as fast, if not faster in transitions, app loading, and web page loading. So I gave him the Droid and let him play with it. Shock ensued. I was satisfied.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the Nexus. It's a sweet phone. It's fast as hell stock and it's very sleek and nice to hold. The screen was less than impressive though, still like my Droid's better, and with the processor at only 800 (could go higher of course) it's smoother and faster than the N1 from the time I spent comparing the two.

Figured I'd post this in case anybody was curious. I didn't do any scientific tests, but in "feel" the OC'ed Droid won hands down.

Advertisement
  2. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's my kind of story. I agree 100% that is a great phone, I just love my droid, I'm part of the cult now.

3. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Well, even the Droid stock at 550 is fast with nothing installed / widgets all over the place.

Anyways, wait till your coworker installs Cyanogenmod and then you oc to 1GHz. Then that'll be a real shootout.

My money's still on the Droid, though his N1 will put up 17 MFlops on Linpack (skewed with JIT of course).

4. ejlax

ejlax Well-Known Member

Push it for the 1Ghz...i used the BB @ 800, then tried it at 1G and i won't go back. such a difference. You will love it..and if you don't or are afraid of setting it on fire, just clock it back.

5. pinesal

pinesal Well-Known Member

Well, we managed to overclock and match the nexus but it still has twice the ram and I don't think there is anything we can do about that.

6. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

*gets out soldering iron*

7. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

I doubt the majority of DROID owners (or N1 owners for that matter) are maxing out their RAM. There just aren't that many (if at all) Android apps that consume massive quantities of RAM. Basically, both DROID and N1 owners have a lot of free (read: wasted) RAM. I mean, do you know how many apps you have to be running at the same time to max out your RAM?

8. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

Yeah I heard Cyanogen made it SUPER fast! Especially with JIT installed, wow.. Just in time; not sure what it does but I read it makes the phone just overall a heck of a lot faster. I am considering getting the N1 once it comes to verizon, I'll probably keep my Droid still but it'll be fun to test the two and stuff. :)

9. joneee

joneee Well-Known Member

Will overclocking reduce the life of the processor? I read that 800 seems to be a pretty safe speed to oc it at, but how bout long term?

10. raremage

raremage Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a question of maxing out the RAM usage; instead, think of the PC as an example: in most cases an OS runs smoother and faster with more memory available. There's a point of diminishing returns, but doubling the available RAM can only help performance.

11. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Almost certainly. Chances are though, that even with the lowered processor life, the chip is still going to outlast the rest of the phone hardware. I think it's much more likely that something else goes wrong with it, or people just replace the phone before the OC'ing has any chance to kill the processor. I've OC'ed a lot of computers, and I've never had a CPU die on me before I replaced it due to obsoloscence or necessity.

12. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

thats what worries me, that the phone will give out due to processor, but i really am starting to think not! i run it at 250mhz while charging or while on idol! so it really slow it down and now, while charging, NO OVER HEATING! i just can't do much else haha