Odd 3G/wifi 'bug'..General

Last Updated:

1. G1Apps

G1Apps New Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 9, 2008
    I generally have wifi available in my office and at home, so the phone stays connected to the wifi AP..

BUT I have noticed, if the screen locks, when i 'wake' the phone up, the 3G icon shows (along with white flashing arrows of activity) momentarilly before the wifi icon replaces it.

The same thing happened today when I hung up from a phone call - 3G icon flashed for a couple seconds before wifi came back.

Does the G1 revert to 3G when on a phonecall or when the screen is locked? if so, and data-rich apps are running in the background, surely this is a huge waste of 3G data allowance?

Or is this just a bug - like I hope, and wifi is remaining connected when available (which let's face it, is how it should be) :confused:

2. RobFisher

RobFisher Member

Oct 30, 2008
    I'm seeing something possibly related to this. After using WiFi for a while, the 3G icon disappears and won't come back until I reboot the phone. Obviously 3G service is available but the phone needs a kick to go and look for it. Just turning off WiFi doesn't seem to help. This problem is intermittent. If anyone has seen this and has found a way to get 3G back without rebooting, I'd be interested.

BTW, searching for help on this problem on this forum is made very difficult because the search term "3G" is "too short". Hmm.