Odd behavior after being droppedSupport

Last Updated:

1. mrootes

mrootes Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can the "CPU" in the Inc get damaged after being dropped? I dropped mine a couple days ago while it was on. I rebooted it and it went to some tech startup screen. It gave options like HARD RESET and SOFT RESET or something like that.

Since then, the camera didn;t always take pics and sometimes the screen went black after taking pics. And sometimes, it had no sound at all for the camera.

I did a total factory reset and I THINK it is fine, but I was curious if anyone knows about that tech startup menu and if there's any such thing as the processor being damaged after a drop.

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

That help is over my pay grade. Did you purchase the insurance option?

3. mrootes

mrootes Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

yes, I have an AWESOME insurance deal with State Farm, but I never thought a drop could effect the microprocessor. And to have my phone boot up in some type of diagnostic tech mode was surprising.

It seems to be fine since my factory reset, but I will always be wondering if a drop could effect the CPU.

4. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

There are probably 1000+ solders on the mainboard of the phone. A couple of components might have come lose, or crappy solder joints could have broken. So it's very possible for something to be damaged. (note: it's unlikely for the CPU itself to be damaged) If you're having intermittent problems, that is probably your problem. I don't know what is up with the tech startup menu (recovery menu perhaps?)

EDIT: It just occurred to me the at something could have gotten corrupted if the battery got ejected in the drop. Not my first guess, but possible. If the problems went away after the factory reset, I say count your blessings. If something got damaged, you are probably NOT going to be able to fix it.