• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Odd behavior while playing games

ToxicToastKatz

Android Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2009
Aurora, IL
I'm having an issue that just popped up yesterday and I can't figure out why.

While playing games (it has happened during Home Run Derby 3D, Angry Birds Space, NFL Flick Quarterback and Sonic CD so far) my Xoom will exhibit odd behavior. During Sonic CD, it randomly brings up the "Pause" menu. During NFL Flick Quarterback it will go for a minute and revert to the splash "Loading" screen before returning to gameplay. During Angry Birds the screen goes black and pauses the game. HRD3D does the same thing. I will be in the middle of a game and the screen will go black. When I tap the screen again, the "Pause" menu is up.

I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on. The odd behavior began yesterday with the games, however, a few days ago I was on a Skype call and the screen was acting goofy. I've used Skype on my Xoom plenty of times and that was the first time I'd seen it act that way.

A day before this had happened, I installed and used Bobsled calling so I thought that could be the culprit. I have since uninstalled that application and reset the device (not a hard reset). It's still doing the same thing.

Has anyone ever heard or seen this? It's not the "flickering" that you can see on several older YouTube videos, this is something different that I couldn't find any info on. I haven't been able to replicate it while using Facebook, watching a video or browsing the web. It only appears to be happening while playing games.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd rather not hard reset the device, but if that's what it comes down to, I guess I'll have to try that before I send it in.

Again, if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones