• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

squeekster

Apr 15, 2015
I just got the One M9 this last weekend. And someday I may learn to leave well enough alone. LOL

Having said that, I was messing around changing fonts just because I could and also because I wanted to see what they looked like on the phone. Somehow, some of the fonts are, for lack of a better description, hollow letters. Most of the time it only shows up in titles of sections...for instance when I am in settings on the phone, the titles of different sections, ie: "Wireless & Networks", "Personal", "Phone". Also it shows up on Facebook in odd places such as in each post, the time the post was made and the "Whats on your mind" title at the top of the timeline. I realize my descriptions leave a whole lot to be desired. Sorry about that.
Changing the fonts now doesn't do a thing to change these back to whatever normal was. I honestly can't remember, but I'm *almost* sure it wasn't what it is now. All I want to do is change it back to normal.
The font in question looks like the one on this page...
Arialic Hollow Font - 1001 Free Fonts
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sorry about the late reply. Under settings> personalization you have the font style set as default font, and the size set as medium?
Yes it is. However, I have tried all the different fonts listed (5) and all the different sizes for the fonts. But the font in question *never* changes no matter what else I do.

I honestly don't remember whether this particular font was always there from the time I got the phone or not. If it was, I'll just learn to like it I guess. But if it isn't, then I want it back to normal.

Upvote 0
OK,still haven't themed anything yet.
Let's get back to your phone.
If you didn't get the font from the theming store,where/how did it come from?
Did you download anything from outside the Google Play Store?
Did you download/use a font changing app from anywhere?
If you can't retrace your steps,a factory reset may be in order.

Upvote 0
I haven't downloaded anything that wasn't on my previous phone and I seriously have no idea where it came from. All of which makes me think it might be part of Android 5.0.2. But *WHY* can't I change it?

I'd really really hate to do a factory reset, only to find out that when I was done, the same font is still there.

Upvote 0
I haven't downloaded anything that wasn't on my previous phone and I seriously have no idea where it came from. All of which makes me think it might be part of Android 5.0.2. But *WHY* can't I change it?
I'd really really hate to do a factory reset, only to find out that when I was done, the same font is still there.
I understand,FDR's are down the list of things I wanna do today......
Only two other things come to mind to take a look at:
1) Did you go into Developer Options & change anything?
2) If the above is No,then I'd wipe the Cache Partition,see if that doesn't clear things up:

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-20857

If you still have issues after those steps,I'll load up some items from the theme store & see if I can't replicate.
Sorry I'm not much help ATM,still at work,I'll be on,uninterrupted,later this evening.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
It took some doing since I'm not really a computer genius. But here is a screen shot. The font in question is the one in the title of each section. ie: "PERSONALIZE (in the brown area)", "FONT", "KEYBOARD", "DIALER".

Screenshot_2015-04-18-07-33-28.png

Reactions: Mikestony and KOLIO
Upvote 0
It took some doing since I'm not really a computer genius. But here is a screen shot. The font in question is the one in the title of each section. ie: "PERSONALIZE (in the brown area)", "FONT", "KEYBOARD", "DIALER".
That's OK,NO BIGGIE,pardon the pun.........;) :D
The screenshot helps,a lot:
I'm betting there's a theme,or,remnants of a theme,from your ZEDGE app.
I'd start there.
If that isn't where it came from,it had to be an app that you downloaded,unless you made the mod via hooking up your phone to your PC & loading something up that way.

Either way,boot into Safe Mode:
http://www.androidexplained.com/htc-one-m9-safe-mode/

If the fonts are back to normal,then,its likely an app (betting its ZEDGE).

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I restarted the phone in Safe Mode. No change. So, the way I'm understanding this, it can't be an app I downloaded because nothing changes in safe mode. And since I've never hooked the phone up to the computer, that eliminates that possibility.

Maybe I'll just have to learn to live with the font. After all, it's hardly worth doing a factory reset over, even though I don't like the font.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I restarted the phone in Safe Mode. No change. So, the way I'm understanding this, it can't be an app I downloaded because nothing changes in safe mode.
Maybe I'll just have to learn to live with the font. After all, it's hardly worth doing a factory reset over, even though I don't like the font.

Sorry you got off to such a rough start w/your phone.
BTW........
WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS Don Byrd ! :thumbsupdroid:

Can't fathom choosing to "Live With It" for the following reason:
Would you want something on your PC,not knowing where it came from?

I'm not goin' down the rabbit hole of anti-viral apps/etc.....,that's another discussion,& one that can be avoided altogether.
Something is on your phone,whether it be through a browser/appstore/etc..... fonts don't just up & change on their own.

JMHO,but,a factory reset now is a small price to pay for potential trouble down the road,if nothing else to get rid of something that's front & center on everything you look at & wish for it to be gone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones