Odd little quirk...

Last Updated:

1. ToxicToastKatz

ToxicToastKatz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this, but it has happened to me 2 or 3 other times, and it's usually after the "up time" is approaching or over 100 hours.

Every so often, the phone will reboot....but not a full reboot. It won't power cycle down and then power back on, all that happens is the black "HTC" screen comes up for about 10 seconds, and then the "scene" reboots itself. Nothing is lost and the "up time" remains counting (it doesn't reset). It's not really a huge annoyance, since it usually happens when I'm coming out of an app, but it's just odd.

Anyone else see this?

BTW, not rooted, regular old stock ROM.

Advertisement
  2. ecaggiani

ecaggiani Well-Known Member

Yes, this happened to me today, and I believe once before. I, too had my Hero on for several days just before. Seems like some sort of memory leak or something?

One odd side effect was that when it came back up, the Handcent thumbnail wouldn't load on my home screen...just a little broken square with an error in it. Happened both times. I wonder if this is related to Handcent?

3. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

The latest version of Handcent, 2.9.16, fixes this problem. There are still problems with other apps, though, such as Google Skymap and Where (though Where doesn't mess up the icon, just the entry in the "Add Shortcut" list), and a few others I'm forgetting now.

jd

4. ToxicToastKatz

ToxicToastKatz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hmmmm...I've never had problems with icons not working or showing up. Like I said, it's more of an odd quirk. I'll have to keep an eye out for that behavior though.

At least I'm not the only one. I'm assuming it's some sort of "bug" that's causing a reload of Sense UI or something. Not quite a full reboot (as I've had that happen 2 or 3 times....but not recently, and it was a daily occurrence with my Touch) but just a reload.

The odd thing is, despite the fact that this happens after long periods of uptime, the longer my phone is "up" after a reboot, the smoother it seems to be. Right after a reboot, it is terribly slow (mostly because it's updating everything), but now (after 120 hours) it's flying. weird.

5. LTZguy

LTZguy Well-Known Member

We shall see if mine does it. i'm at 98 hours right now. i'll post back and let you guys know...btw i'm at 11% awake time.

6. g0tr00t

g0tr00t Well-Known Member

Mine does this when I exit Pandora. Just a quirk I guess...I like the phone, so I just chalk it up to a bug. :)

7. gnarlyDUCK

gnarlyDUCK Well-Known Member

Mine does this if when my phone gets REALLY sluggish.

It might be clearing hanging processes?

8. Tisnatch

Tisnatch Member

Happens to me but I haven't noticed a trend yet. I assume it happens when the app I'm using (or combination of apps) consumes too much RAM and the Android OS randomly selects the HTC Sense UI as an "app" to kill to free up memory. I submitted a ticket to HTC about it and their response was to perform a hard reset. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Hope it gets fixed in 2.0/2.1