Odd music playback problem, need suggestionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I really need to use headphones that have an inline remote with pause/play. I found some, but this creates an interesting problem.

I have two sources of audio: the music player and Doggcatcher for podcasts. Whenever I listen to a track in the music player and then stop listening, it remembers and keeps it "ready". Then I go and listen to a podcast and, again, the last thing played remains ready to play at any point.

So, here is the problem. When I go to listen to music, I can get into the music player and hit play, no problem. But, the first time I use the inline remote to pause and then play, that "play" command turns on the podcast player as well and BOTH start playing, music and podcast.

Oddly, when I am just in Doggcatcher and play a podcast, the inline remote will not automatically start the music player.

Any solutions out there? Is there a way to make sure DOggcatcher will not start when I want to listen to the music player? I suppose I could load up Google Listen and see what would happen with that program instead.

Advertisement
  2. eric.doggcatcher

eric.doggcatcher Active Member

3. Vance

Thanks, will look for it. Another problem when just running doggcatcher with my iPhone headphones with inline remote is that when I press play on the remote it just starts a loop of a second or two and I have to kill the app. Other headphones don't do this.

4. eric.doggcatcher

Never heard of that :)

Give it a shot with the standard android music app. If you get the same weirdness, that would narrow the problem to the headphones.

5. Vance

Ah, but I can't do that because of the other problem! :0) Whenever I try the iPhone headphones with the music player it launches Doggcatcher and plays the most recent track. Once that is solved I can see.

My guess is that the iphone headphones are just not going to work for me on the Droid, but the others I have found with inline remotes are big and bulky.

6. eric.doggcatcher

Ok, well let's wait until I get the bug fixed and then we'll see where we can go from there.

7. Vance

I read that other post and, yes, that is the same issue. But, I can also see the problem. When there are two apps with audio loaded up and ready to play, how would the headset know which you want? I suppose we will have to just use something like Taskkiller to keep only one active at a time, and then have Doggcatcher only "bind" when it is actually running. I usually have to go in and get the track running anyway, and all I would have to do is just make sure Music is killed, or vice-versa.

8. eric.doggcatcher

There isn't any good way for android to know which app should get the button event. Apps set priorities for how important they are. :)

I'm not sure what you are describing is going to work because when I fix the bug, DC will bind to button presses (if you have the preference enabled) even when it is not running. That is at the request of users, because when they are using DC and android evicts it while you are doing something else, then when you press the button, they want DC to start back up.

9. Vance

Yes, I think that is a useful feature, and given that I will be using Doggcatcher a lot more than the music player, I would want that feature as well.

So, then, if I wanted to use the music player using the headphones, I would just go into Doggcatcher and unbind it temporarily. That is workable.