• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Odd problem when connected to PC

danomolis

Lurker
Aug 17, 2010
I do not have or use and SD card...only the internal memory. When I'm not connected to a PC it recognizes this. All of my ringtones and notifications are present.

When I connect to a PC, though, the phone seems to want to only use the SD memory. I can't see my custom tones, all applications want to use SD memory, and apps only want to download new info to a non-existent SD card.

Is there a way to change this behavior? It's driving me nuts. When I'm connected to my PC and my phone rings...it uses a default tone. The first time it happened I had no idea what the sound was.

Howdy!

Keep in mind that the internal, user storage is referred to as SDCARD. When you have an "external" SD card installed, it mounts under /sdcard as /sdcard/sd

Once you've connected and chosen 'mount' from the notification menu, you should just see the phone mounted as a drive and have access to all the user storage, like /sdcard/media/audio/ which will have directories for notification and ringtone.

Upvote 0
When you mount your internal SDcard to your computer your phone loses access to it. At least to certain aspects of it...like customized settings such as your ringtone. If you have a widget on your homescreen you'd notice that it returns to default settings (like skins etc) when you plug it into your computer. When you unplug, it all returns to normal though.

I'm also confused by your post...when you say "the phone seems to only want to use..." are you referring to manipulating your phone via your PC or actually playing on your physical phone while it is connected to your PC?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones