Odd trip to VerizonGeneral

Last Updated:

1. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member This Topic's Starter

So I had to take my girlfriend's phone back to Verizon today. She has been having a bunch of network problems and 3g won't stay connected half the time. She is also having a weird issue with the battery where the icon goes grey and has an exclamation mark over it. For some reason she has been suffering in silence through all of March with these issues. It is still under warranty so I figured I would get it replaced.

I went in and after a short wait a nice girl called me up. I explained the problems and she looked through the phone. She couldn't figure out the network problems, but told me the battery issue had to do with an app on the phone. Confused I asked her which one and she said it wasn't just one, but that a couple of them were running in the background causing the problem. She then said she was going to install a wonderful app called Advanced Task KIller for me and that it would solve the problem. I told her to not even think about putting ATK on the phone and that it would not solve the issue. I also informed her that the phone is supposed to have apps running in the background. I explained that Android is designed to multitask and that having apps run is normal. I told her a few other things, but it is stuff you guys already know. She then told me that the VZW techs were telling the sales people to suggest atk as a cure all for Droid problems.

The manager walked up a few seconds later and said something that almost knocked me over. He simply looked at me and said, "Of the damned, huh?" I know I had a dear in headlights look on my face and I had no idea what to say. He then told me that he and a few other people there had the Eris. He said that they visit the forum all the time and it was obvious that I had been reading posts by OfTheDamned. He added that he recommends the forum to all new Eris users. We then talked about 2.1 and he didn't have a date, but did say that testing was coming to ab end. He also set up a replacement for my girl.

Odd and informative little trip.

Advertisement
    mikeymop and AdmSuvvuk like this.
  2. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

Duh, you're a freakin legend! Haha but yes, that would be a little spooky.

3. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I thought you were gonna say that you came across a werewolf but I have to say...wow! You're famous in the Eris world! :) So...did you fess up to being the atk hater or did you just let it go? :D Ha! Great story...glad you shared.

4. astrostrat89

astrostrat89 Well-Known Member

was about to update my own task-killer update, but I'll post here. Been going on 4 months+ since I dumped using any sort of task killer. Still running just fine, better then when I was running one.

5. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

+1

6. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

And now they'll reply to this thread and things will start to get really strange.

Goodbye illusion of anonymity. Hello Six Degrees to OTD.

7. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

LOL. Thats funny. But yeah, I run circles around all reps I've ever seen, every carrier.

I'm waiting to run into the few people here that reside in the Chi.

8. BoulderAndroidFan

BoulderAndroidFan Well-Known Member

Did you tell the manager that you were "THE" Ofthedamned (assuming you are disguised in public), revealing your true identity, or did you just say you were one of the thousands of devoted followers.

9. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

You should carry a Sharpie around with you.

10. Wraithbane

Wraithbane Well-Known Member

Okay, that is flipping hilarious, I guess you should be glad he didn't read your post about being afraid of sharp wooden sticks..... "Gee, I don't know boss, ever since we put that picket fence up, she won't come in the store..."

11. jlampson

jlampson Well-Known Member

That's pretty hilarious. At first it sounded like he "knew you" and that's how I would have reacted to. Then the follow up of "yeah, you and those other forum kiddies" (I'm paraphrasing) preceded your sigh of relief. You were safe for a moment. Just one of millions in your hundreds of years on our mortal plane.

12. yeahright

yeahright Well-Known Member

That's pretty crazy. By the way thanks for all your information on ATK because when i got my Eris the saleslady put that on my phone and i used it for a while until finding out the truth here

Thanks =]

13. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

That's the funniest thing I've read all day.

14. hookem

hookem Well-Known Member

I'm ready....

Great story!

15. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

I think it seems likely that the Droid Eris will get 2.1 at around the same time the Sprint Hero/Moment gets 2.1. I'm hoping for this month.

Funny story by the way lol. :D

16. K0CAW

K0CAW Well-Known Member

That's fantastic that they recommend these forums to new Eris owners. I'm sure in a few hours, we'll get the "Hey, I'm the manager you talked to...that was you?" post. Looking forward to that.

17. alexv

alexv Active Member

i dropped my task killer about three months ago, and i couldn't be happier. if it slows down, i know it's most likely an app i recently installed, or it's time for a reboot. that's pretty funny he knew of you... haha

18. DroidJW

DroidJW Well-Known Member

Bet you are right on the timing, but I suspect Verizon's holding it until the Incredible debuts -- so its the premier "2.1 with Sense" phone for Spring 2010 .

Didnt VZW do the same by holding Storm1 improvements until the debut of Storm2?

19. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

That is pretty funny that you have a reputation. But, anyone who goes in with trouble and gets an ATK installed should be ticked off.

20. OfTheDamned

Yea, it was pretty odd having things I've said quoted back to me. I also was a little surprised that atk was their answer to a completely unrelated problem. It makes me wonder how many people are out there with a messed up phone and just thinking that they all act that way. Makes me a little sad to know that some people are getting screwed by techs that don't know anything. And, no, I did not tell him who I am. I just let him talk for the most part. I was freaked at first, but once I understood what he was saying it was just funny.

21. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member

OTD, even though you did not tell the guy that you are THE OTD, now,
    you can be sure he knows who was he talking to... perhaps he is reading this thread right now:D

Peter

22. OfTheDamned

I thought about that. I just hope he has the decency to not post any of my personal info on here.

23. Peter123

That would be scary. On the other hand, you could sue him for that...
    .P.

24. tcbj

tcbj Well-Known Member

We all read this forum.
    We have access to it at work,(and we had to fight for it, just like crackberry.com)
    We have the knowlege.
    We have the technology.
    And---WE have the best food days in the tech support dept. Crockpots filled with sloppy joes, pierogies, theres taco salad, homemade cakes and brownies and cookies.
    Thats what the mute button is for on our phones. so we can eat.;)
    And I tell all my peeps on the phone "get that battery suckin', resource eatin, task killer of that phone."
    love ya

25. Peter123

... or, you could simply bite him!