• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Odin] Clockworkmod Recovery - Not compatible with Rom Manager yet

SuigintouLain

Jan 23, 2012
This does not mean you can flash CWM through Rom Manager yet! Do not try it. In fact, Rom Manager is not supported yet. You are warned.

I'm too tired to type a long post, so I'll be brief. Flash this with Odin found in the same forum as this post. Haven't tested flashing zips because I've never made one before. Nandroid works because I spent all day trying to get it to work. Your warranty is now void. Please don't sue me.

http://hardestyhosting.com/mirror/admire-cwm.tar

Almost forgot to thank Shabbypenguin for his proper BoardConfig.mk and for dealing with me all day, Unforgiven512 for getting Odin working, PlayfulGod for his input, DRockstar, Koush, and everyone else.

Steps:

1. Download http://goo.gl/3z64A (Odin) and http://k0nane.info/rom/indulge-drivers.exe (Drivers)
2. Install the drivers. There's not much to it.
3. Follow the steps to enter download mode at [ACS] THE ODIN THREAD: Return to stock OR in short:
a. Turn the phone all the way off, then remove and replace the battery and make sure the usb cable is unplugged.
b. Plug the computer end of the cable into your computer.
c. Hold down the Camera button, tightly. The Camera button is kinda flimsy.
d. While still holding down the Camera button, plug the usb cable into your phone.
e. Wait a few seconds. You should be at a screen warning you about how custom roms are dangerous to your warranty. You already know that, so hit Volume Up.
4. On your computer, extract Odin and open it.
5. Without touching any other options (don't do it, I'm not helping if you do,) click the OPS button and select the .ops file in the same folder as Odin.
6. Click PDA and select the cwm tar I posted in this thread and just click OK when it warns about an "invalid image."
7. Click Start and wait.
8. If your phone reboots, you have CWM installed and can boot into it by holding Volume Down and Back while turning on the phone. If the green bar with the timer doesn't move after about a minute, take your battery out and start over.

EDIT: Do not PM anyone I credited for ROMs. They don't know.

Gonna come back from the dead for about five seconds to explain why (in technical detail) I couldn't get Koush to include the Admire in Rom Manager.

For a port of CWM to be available for installation through Rom Manager, it needs to be able to be compiled from sources merged into the CWM tree. Unfortunatly, the method in which CWM supports RFS in the official tree is an ARMv7 binary which is incompatible with our phone which is ARMv6. In order for my CWM port to format RFS, I used the binary from the stock recovery ("fat.format") which is hard-linked to a binary called "linker" in /system/bin. On the stock recovery/rom, you cannot format /system, so the stock RFS format binary always expects /system to be mounted. In order for me to get RFS formatting to work, I had to put the "linker" binary on the initramfs next to the kernel on the recovery partition under /system/bin. This is very kludgy and scared off Koush because of initial fears that having /system contain files could break multiple things.

In any case, further development has been halted because I broke the phone's NAND and can no longer access /cache or /data due to bad blocks. I've got the poor thing running off the SD card completely. I'm still not asking for donations but I can gladly do a search for the sources I used for someone else to continue development.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones