• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Odin] Clockworkmod Recovery - Not compatible with Rom Manager yet

Well, for whatever reason, I still have not been able to get my phone to boot into CWM, followed the steps exactly 5 times now, phone re-boots but will only boot into normal recovery...I don't have a clue as to why...I've re-downloaded all of the files 3 times and followed all of the steps on two different Win 7 PC's and still no CWM, just normal recovery...any suggestions...?

Upvote 0
I can CONFIRM it works!! Just Flashed.. WooooooT!!!!!!! And YES "Install zip from sdcard" option is available! Niceee work here bud!! Let the ROMS pour down!! haha

:thinking:Exactly what did you do to get this method to work? The files downloaded from the link does not contain any .tar files (for the PDA) and there is a boot and two recovery images from the files downloaded, how do I use them? and whatabout the other files included with the download?:thinking: The .ops file was the only one on point. Sorry for sounding like a newbie but the instructions are lacking.:(

Upvote 0
:thinking:Exactly what did you do to get this method to work? The files downloaded from the link does not contain any .tar files (for the PDA) and there is a boot and two recovery images from the files downloaded, how do I use them? and whatabout the other files included with the download?:thinking: The .ops file was the only one on point. Sorry for sounding like a newbie but the instructions are lacking.:(

try putting the tar where it says one package... the tar should be cwm... you need that first to continue on with a rom, etc..

Upvote 0
After much tinkering, I have successfully rooted, installed CWM, Titanium Backup, partitioned my SD card, and moved what I could from the very anemic internal storage to it. And all without making it a brick!

One hurdle I found was the Odin downloader file posted at the minus.com site. Saving it somehow converted it into a .bin file. Renaming it from that to an exe solved that nonsense. Don't know how I managed to be the only one this happened to, but hey, it forced me to use what remaining synapse activity I have.

I might play around with a custom ROM after this phone hits its 1-year anniversary, or I might just go get a new phone.

That said, many, many thanks to all the VERY talented people who are hip-deep in the development environment! I'm hoping to make a few contributions after the refund comes from Uncle Sam (if my parole officer, I mean wife doesn't confiscate the bulk of it).

Thanks guys! :D

Reactions: xext
Upvote 0
This is one of the most useful additions to the Samsung Admire. I appreciate you for posting this, as it helped me plenty of times recovering my phone while I learned flashing my device. Truly thankful for you submitting this!

This does not mean you can flash CWM through Rom Manager yet! Do not try it. In fact, Rom Manager is not supported yet. You are warned.

I'm too tired to type a long post, so I'll be brief. Flash this with Odin found in the same forum as this post. Haven't tested flashing zips because I've never made one before. Nandroid works because I spent all day trying to get it to work. Your warranty is now void. Please don't sue me.

http://hardestyhosting.com/mirror/admire-cwm.tar

Almost forgot to thank Shabbypenguin for his proper BoardConfig.mk and for dealing with me all day, Unforgiven512 for getting Odin working, PlayfulGod for his input, DRockstar, Koush, and everyone else.

Steps:

1. Download http://goo.gl/3z64A (Odin) and http://k0nane.info/rom/indulge-drivers.exe (Drivers)
2. Install the drivers. There's not much to it.
3. Follow the steps to enter download mode at [ACS] THE ODIN THREAD: Return to stock OR in short:
a. Turn the phone all the way off, then remove and replace the battery and make sure the usb cable is unplugged.
b. Plug the computer end of the cable into your computer.
c. Hold down the Camera button, tightly. The Camera button is kinda flimsy.
d. While still holding down the Camera button, plug the usb cable into your phone.
e. Wait a few seconds. You should be at a screen warning you about how custom roms are dangerous to your warranty. You already know that, so hit Volume Up.
4. On your computer, extract Odin and open it.
5. Without touching any other options (don't do it, I'm not helping if you do,) click the OPS button and select the .ops file in the same folder as Odin.
6. Click PDA and select the cwm tar I posted in this thread and just click OK when it warns about an "invalid image."
7. Click Start and wait.
8. If your phone reboots, you have CWM installed and can boot into it by holding Volume Down and Back while turning on the phone. If the green bar with the timer doesn't move after about a minute, take your battery out and start over.

EDIT: Do not PM anyone I credited for ROMs. They don't know.

Upvote 0
Tried this 5 or more times... lost track... and just kept failing. I could connect, but never got the green bar or success after hitting start...

Tried every usb port on the pc... 2 different cables.. It was running XP..

Moved to another PC... worked the first time... as advertised.

Just sharing as a tip if anyone else is looking for another option when things are not going right.

Have CWM and Cy7 running now. Life is GooD!

Thanks everyone!

Mike

Upvote 0
Yah Rom Manager is NOT compatible with Samsung Admire. If you were to look at the setting after downloading it you will see it does not support Admire.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully someone will create a ROM with no BLOATWARE in it. I like MetroPCS service for the price I pay for four phones, but hate that internal memory is used right of of the box...177mb out of 198...Jeesh Metro give me some space already!

It would be nice to have a ROM with just basics installed to run the phone, let me put on the apps I want. I like to download and try before I buy so I can custom my phone to my use.

Thank again to all the dev. out there.

Upvote 0
I did all of that. but when I got to cwm I didn't know what to do there. I tried to instal from zip but I got the E fie location directory error. I played around with it (Bad Ideal..) now my battery will not hold a charge or charge my battery. If I use my friend battery I can still access odin and cwm.. I just don't know what to do when I get there... any help will be appreicated.........sorry also I have a samsung admire R720.

Upvote 0
I did all of that. but when I got to cwm I didn't know what to do there. I tried to instal from zip but I got the E fie location directory error. I played around with it (Bad Ideal..) now my battery will not hold a charge or charge my battery. If I use my friend battery I can still access odin and cwm.. I just don't know what to do when I get there... any help will be appreicated.........sorry also I have a samsung admire R720.
You need to have a CPU to install the recovery to your phone via ODIN. The OP provides the link to the way to recovery along with the files required to put it on your phone.
Follow the instruction in the OP here as there is enough instruction to complete the mission.:thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones