• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Odin not working

jmawebb

Lurker
Sep 25, 2009
Hi all,

I'm trying to flash my new Galaxy using Odin (because I got it sim-free and I don't have the market). I'm doing this on WinXP inside VMWare on Linux, unfortunately. It had only this to say:

<1> Added!
<1> Detected!

That is, after I filled in the filename and pressed start, the two boxes went yellow and the timer began counting but there was no other output. I killed it after about 45 mins. I've tried this with the II5 (one file) and IH7 (multiple files) firmware versions linked to from this site.

Now, I guess the obvious culprit here is VMWare, but it seems odd that it would find the device and then give up (and NPS and mass storage work as well as expected). Also, even if I don't connect the Galaxy to the PC, the only way I can find to leave the 'downloading...' screen is to pull out the battery - is that normal?

I did try with native WinXP on an old laptop too, but it's a 7-year-old installation and it wasn't playing ball... so I'm hoping someone here has a suggestion for how to proceed that doesn't involve a fresh Windows install... anyone?

Current 'baseband version' is I7500JVIG4.

Thanks

/J

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones