ODIN + Ubuntu w/o access to VM = not possible?

Last Updated:

1. aequitas3

aequitas3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

sorry, i still have yet to find this answer, on this forum and any google search, but is it really not possible to flash the BH2 on ubuntu at this current time? as the title says, i do not have a VM nor do i have access to an install disc to create a VM on my ubuntu. i just dread switching between the dual boots on my laptop because it's so sluggish on the windows side vs the ubuntu side.

sorry if this seems repetitive, but i have yet to see any results of this question and really would like to know...

thx in advance,
    aequitas3

Advertisement
  2. mikenick42

mikenick42 Well-Known Member

3. skri11a

skri11a Member

I'd be curious to know if WINE works for ODIN.
    Please report back if you test it out.

4. foxdl99

foxdl99 Active Member

There isn't any known ODIN replacement for Linux, you have to use Windows for flashing, but you can still use Linux for adb processes. I haven't tried Wine, but I have tried VM. I'm a little curious about you saying you can't use VM. I know that virtualbox is free and is readily available in most any version of Linux, especially Ubuntu. They have an installable DEB file on their website. If you mean that you don't have a Windows install disk, I guess I get that. In any case, if you go to virtualbox.org and download the latest version, I think you'll find what you're looking for n a virtual machine.

5. megabiteg

megabiteg Well-Known Member

I have tried ODIN with WINE but I haven't had any success. WINE will start ODIN but it will not identify the phone in download mode. I have tried mapping the /dev/ttyACM0 to the COM1 in WINE but that hasn't worked.

I will keep trying to see if we get a workaround.

6. khunny7

khunny7 Active Member

VirtualBox works just fine.

7. aequitas3

If I'm able to use this without using a windows install disc I'll try it as soon as I get out of work..

EDIT: as for what megabiteg said, ODIN does open in wine, but it does not detect the phone as he said.

8. PhanLord

PhanLord New Member

How would one flash odin format ROM's for Behold II under Linux ?
    is there application or set of applications that could be used for that instead of odin ?

thx

9. aequitas3

there is no known application or set of applications as of yet that can flash the bh2 in linux. the closest thing, from what i've come to terms with, is setting up a VM in ubuntu for windows in order to use ODIN.

10. madsaya

madsaya New Member

Hi everybody!
    Odin is a software used to flash your mobile devices with CFW & C-ROM. You simply put your device in download mode and connect it to your computer via USB. I have tried and installed Odin under Ubuntu 11.04 x86 and run it successfully with a Samsung Galaxy SII. However, Odin doesn't recognize the mobile on its COM ports. I think there might be a problem with USB binding in Wine that is causing this issue.

will try winedbg and see

11. madsaya

madsaya New Member

For those who use Vmware and/or VirtualBox, when you start your Windows VM be sur to bind COM ports and USB ports between the physical host and the VM. Those are option that can be set by VM.

12. j0hnh0lmes

j0hnh0lmes Well-Known Member