• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

% of Eris Users Rooted

What % of Eris Users are Rooted?

• I'm rooted and I like it

Votes: 166 67.2%
  • I'm rooted and I don't like it, may unroot

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I'm not rooted but plan to

Votes: 19 7.7%
  • I'm not rooted and can't decide yet

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • I'm not rooted and never will, don't need to

Votes: 15 6.1%

• Total voters
The only reason I would want to root is for the over clocking. For rooters, is it that much of a boost in performance?

The reason why I'm undecided is because from what I've been reading, most of the cooked ROMs have issues themselves that the developer needs to fix all the time. I don't know if I want to constantly be re-flashing ROMs in order to get a fully function phone.

Upvote 0
The only reason I would want to root is for the over clocking. For rooters, is it that much of a boost in performance?

The reason why I'm undecided is because from what I've been reading, most of the cooked ROMs have issues themselves that the developer needs to fix all the time. I don't know if I want to constantly be re-flashing ROMs in order to get a fully function phone.

Yes it is that much of a boost

Upvote 0
Considering root, have a couple of questions.
First what exactly is "overclocking"?
Also, what is a custom rom (just for curiosity what does rom stand for)?

Overclocking is the process of pushing past the default clock speed of the processor. The Eris has a default clock speed of 528 MHz. Overclockers have successfully run 710, 768, 787, etc.

A custom rom is a changed up version of the google android OS. It is customized to achieve a certain motive, whether it be faster, lighter, flashier, etc. ROM = read only memory.

Upvote 0
For me, an unrooted Eris is a phone I will not put up with. Thanks to root I don't have to shell out some considerable change for a phone any time soon.

Thanks to Root, I have realized that Sense has many shortcomings and is mostly hype. The only Sense features I like are those social sync features packagable into the non-sense xtrROM. And, for those of you with root, if you haven't tried xtr, you really should. It's as quick and snappy as KaosFroyo imo and much more stable. All features just seem to work, and I have the best battery life on this ROM.

Now that LauncherPro is developing Sense-like widgets, I can live without Sense altogether. Really, for me, the Sense widgets and the social sync features are the only reason to have sense. The rest just slows the phone down.

Upvote 0
I am currently on my third Droid Eris. The first Eris I got was perfect - no issues at all. I had what I thought was a software bug with location-based services that VZW couldn't fix over the phone so they sent me a [dirty, flithy] Certified, 'like-new' replacement. (The issue ended up being a non-issue) While grocery shopping with my family my kids (3 and 7) knocked the replacement Eris out of my hands while running circles around the shopping cart. (I was using ShopSavvy at the time) I had some chips and dents in the casing after that, but could never say the right things on the phone to get a replacement. At most VZW replaced the battery.

I installed the 2.1 leaks like most did, all the way up to v3 in anticipation of the 2.1 OTA. I foamed at the mouth like a rabid dog until it was pretty much determined the v3 leak was the same as the OTA. I was also dejected like many that my phone with the v3 leak was unable to obtain root access for the time being, and that many devs were turned off at the prospect of working on it further because of the hyenas in the forums bugging them daily for rooting on v3 installed devices.
A month and a half had passed since the last call to Verizon to get support on my phone. With some prodding on my part I was able to get another replacement and it had not been tampered with. I followed the guide over on XDA and I was able to get rooted no problem. I picked a good time to root - the vanilla roms were coming out around that time. Over time I'd adopt White Widow as my build of choice, and started the official Google Wave discussion before it was later atacked by the haters. Later I moved to Conap's ELB as I debated keeping my Eris for different reasons.

While I didn't change up my device as frequently as some of the more serious offenders, I still did a lot of tinkering with my phone. In the end, whether this phone can do a million things at once or not, it's still a phone. Not every rom was perfect, or even stable enough for full-time usage. I'll leave most of my negative, unconstructive comments to myself because the devs are doing more with these devices than I could or have time to. I really do appreciate their work.

So, earlier this week, I unrooted. Why?

If I need to use my camera, I want the stock app to work. I don't want to spend a few bucks on something my phone should already have stock. I don't want to have to use Handcent for MMS. You know, things like that. And yes, over time bugs are fixed - such as stock MMS working on ELB 2.8. I actually do have patience, and held out for a while and tried different builds and incoporated .apks or APNs that were compatible to get around certain issues I encountered.

But, I also had to know why something worked. I am not the type of person that will just do something because it works. I have to know why. I couldn't devote as much time as I would have liked to for rooting and exploring Android. I didn't want to be another "me too" guy with a custom build that was just using it because it did "XYZ" and it was the cool thing to do. So when things like the camera preview in Conap's Froyo 1.4 didn't work, or I couldn't use Root Explorer properly, I admittedly got frustrated because I didn't understand why or how to try and fix it on my own.

Bottom line: my phone has got to work. The only quirks I had with 2.1 stock were:

Notes in Contacts (w/ HTC Sense) didn't expand
Dialer lag
"Slowness" is subjective, and for the time being I can't say I've got a laggy device other than dialer lag.

With root I had issues with the following:

Camera - generally working @ 50%
Stock MMS - early on working only w/ Handcent (eventually from Stock)
Compatiblity issues - apps2sd on ELB 2.8 going to Froyo, for example, root explorer not working

And maybe its me, but going back to stock I'm not seeing much of a slowdown on my Eris. I was never really a major multi-tasker and I never seemed to tax my device beyond what it was capable of doing. I got the Eris because I live out of Google Apps, plain and simple. I wanted a better device for handling PIM than what I was accustomed to from RIM and Microsoft. The Eris succeeds in that based on the Android pedigree it is based on, and its tight integration with Google Apps.

If the Froyo builds stablize and stock apps work - meaning I don't have to go out of my way to download "compensating apps" from the market to make up for lost functionality by flashing the build - I will root again.

Reactions: jpzsports
Upvote 0
Rooted a few days ago and am LOVING IT!! Installed Evil Eris ROM, but couldn't get Apps2SD to run. Flashed the xtrSENSE3.0 ROM and got Apps2SD up and running in a flash :)

I have also deleted all unwanted stock apps and will be playing around with some Live Wallpapers and Overclocking after work today. Root, Root, Root!!!

Upvote 0
Rooted the other day using the engtools3 method. It was very easy but I took my time and after reading what seemed like a thousand post I took the plunge. I wish I had done this months ago. OCed at 748 with the Evil Eris 3.0 Rom, got a2sd working last night, and now gonna work on wireless tethering. Just remember to nand backup. Lifesaver. Also Mybackup pro is a must.

Upvote 0

if you were to go to a rom like t2noobs plain jane ....it is basically just stock sense with a2sd and oc built in ..... extremely stable and everything works, a2sd is not mandatory ....if your SD card is not partitioned it doesn't use a2sd ..... this is really solid build of HTC sense with OC ..... my wife can't tell the difference other then the fact that her phone does things faster ...... thats all that she wanted ..... (unlike me who is constantly tweeking or reflashing) she gets no FC's ...mms works ....HTC camera perfect .....

just saying ...... lots of good roms out there .....but stock OC'd try t2noobplain_jane ( he has all the updates built in including the last one verizon sent out)

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
it's not that i DON'T like it, i just havent noticed a REAL difference. only thing i really see is that the dialer is a bit more laggy since i rooted. i need more time to play with it i guess. still on the 1st day.

I see that you're on Evil Eris. Believe it or not that was my first after rooting, and I thought I could do better, so that started the ROM jumping I did for quite some time.

Upvote 0
if you were to go to a rom like t2noobs plain jane ....it is basically just stock sense with a2sd and oc built in ..... extremely stable and everything works, a2sd is not mandatory ....if your SD card is not partitioned it doesn't use a2sd ..... this is really solid build of HTC sense with OC ..... my wife can't tell the difference other then the fact that her phone does things faster ...... thats all that she wanted ..... (unlike me who is constantly tweeking or reflashing) she gets no FC's ...mms works ....HTC camera perfect .....

just saying ...... lots of good roms out there .....but stock OC'd try t2noobplain_jane ( he has all the updates built in including the last one verizon sent out)

If just wanting to OC, then it would probably be easier to root then just flash engtools and zanfurs OC.

Upvote 0
it's not that i DON'T like it, i just havent noticed a REAL difference. only thing i really see is that the dialer is a bit more laggy since i rooted. i need more time to play with it i guess. still on the 1st day.
Well the nice thing is, if you don't like the current dialer in whatever ROM you download, you can always use a different one as your default. Dialer One works really well.

Upvote 0
Resisted for the longest time then finally rooted. Had to go the Android Master App route because my girlfriend's stupid computer has issues with the SDK (like it can't find it even though I'm clearly looking at it and can give it the path, but NOOOOO. Just get "Error Message: File SDK Tools not found" - sorry, it's a sore subject.)

I still feel as though there are things I'm missing out on due to a lack of SDK.
Sorry to hijack the topic, but does anyone know if a terminal emulator can solve my lack of SDK?

Upvote 0
Astounding percentages, so far.

We'll need a poll later on to see what rooting method has been the most used.

I'm thinking that we're seeing many rooters attracted by the new "for dummies" scheme posted by ErisUser1.

Maybe we need a poll olso on which ROM is the the most popular.
The other thing: a summary of features and bugs of the ROMs available would be very useful. ROM names like white witch, black midget or blue troll don't help you when it comes selecting a ROM.
Peter

Upvote 0
Maybe we need a poll olso on which ROM is the the most popular.
The other thing: a summary of features and bugs of the ROMs available would be very useful. ROM names like white witch, black midget or blue troll don't help you when it comes selecting a ROM.
Peter

ROM selection can be either daunting or fun, depending on the approach, in my opinion.

The place to begin is in the postings by the developer of each ROM, mostly at XDA but a few here as well. Read those threads because the developer is often responding to bug reports and issues by tweaking the next version and/or by explaining what the issue is about.

I've also noticed that the developers of ROMs are very responsive to PMed questions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones