• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OF or IF text prediction

judg3

Lurker
Jul 11, 2010
Hi,

I've found a strange one that seems to affect both mine and my brother's HTC desires. When typing a text or e-mail if I want to put the word "if" in the middle of a sentence it will auto correct to "of". "If" at the beginning of a sentence works fine.

As a result there are a lot of texts and e-mails that go out with bizarre "of"s instead of "if"s.

I've checked the user dictionary for any matching entries and found nothing odd.

Does anyone else have this issue and / or know of a work around or fix?

Thanks
Steve

Thanks for the advice, but it's not because I'm missing the key. I ensure that I press the buttons "I" and "F" followed by "SPACE" and it auto corrects to "of" with the "if".

The word "if" appears to the left of "of" but "of" is highlighted in green to signify this will be the option chosen if I press space.

From what you've suggested I guess that you don't see the same thing happen?

Also, it only happens mid sentance.. "If" (with capital) works fine but "if" becomes "of".

I'm starting to sound a bit loopy, quick call the funny farm! LOL

Upvote 0
He's not hitting the wrong key - I have exactly the same bug! You type "if" and it autocorrects to "of". I just typed "if" twenty times and selected to change to "if" rather than the offered "of", but it still hasn't learnt. How long will it take? It doesn't do this for any other real word that I've found. I'd be better off typing "ig" instead, because that autocorrects back to "if"!!! Crazy.

HTC Desire on O2 UK, as shipped; 2.1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones