OF or IF text predictionSupport

Last Updated:

1. judg3

judg3 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I've found a strange one that seems to affect both mine and my brother's HTC desires. When typing a text or e-mail if I want to put the word "if" in the middle of a sentence it will auto correct to "of". "If" at the beginning of a sentence works fine.

As a result there are a lot of texts and e-mails that go out with bizarre "of"s instead of "if"s.

I've checked the user dictionary for any matching entries and found nothing odd.

Does anyone else have this issue and / or know of a work around or fix?

Thanks
    Steve

Advertisement
  2. Bonce34

Bonce34 Active Member

I get that a bit and I put it down to the I and O key being next to each other. Try recalibrating your touch settings on your keyboard.

Menu > Settings > Language & Keyboard > Touch Input > Text Input > Calibration Tool

3. judg3

judg3 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the advice, but it's not because I'm missing the key. I ensure that I press the buttons "I" and "F" followed by "SPACE" and it auto corrects to "of" with the "if".

The word "if" appears to the left of "of" but "of" is highlighted in green to signify this will be the option chosen if I press space.

From what you've suggested I guess that you don't see the same thing happen?

Also, it only happens mid sentance.. "If" (with capital) works fine but "if" becomes "of".

I'm starting to sound a bit loopy, quick call the funny farm! LOL

4. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Just make a habit of tapping the 'if' option instead of the 'of' one and it will correct over time.

5. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

'of' is more widely used than 'if' in most text, so it defaults to the former, assuming that you probably hit the wrong key. As said above, the easy solution is to select 'of' from the predictive text choices and the phone will learn over time.

6. richcobley

richcobley Member

He's not hitting the wrong key - I have exactly the same bug! You type "if" and it autocorrects to "of". I just typed "if" twenty times and selected to change to "if" rather than the offered "of", but it still hasn't learnt. How long will it take? It doesn't do this for any other real word that I've found. I'd be better off typing "ig" instead, because that autocorrects back to "if"!!! Crazy.

HTC Desire on O2 UK, as shipped; 2.1.

7. Jhaeh

Jhaeh Well-Known Member

Use SwiftKey Keyboard.

8. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

x2

I don't have the If/Of problem, but doing the above i've found helps make different words a priority.

9. StoneDeCroze

StoneDeCroze Well-Known Member

No if/of issues here.

10. seanxwong

seanxwong Well-Known Member

Just checked out my Desire and I dont find such an issue. When I intended to type "if" in the middle of the sentence the prediction highlighted "if" by default. I dont use Touchinpu much.

11. richcobley

richcobley Member

Update: 2.2 fixed this. No issues any more.