# of rings before voicemail?

Last Updated: 2010-02-16 16:36:05
  1. Droidood

Droidood Well-Known Member

Is there any way to change the number of times your Droid rings before the voicemail kicks in? Some people say it's a limitation of the carrier, others say it's an option on most phones... I don't know who to believe but I haven't found the option on the Droid :confused:

My last phone rang 4 - 5 times (# of rings the caller would hear) at most, but I'd say the Droid is somewhere around double that. It's all fine and dandy if I have the phone in my hand or pocket to silence it, but whenever my phone is sitting a few feet away it's frustrating to listen to the seemingly endless ringing.

Advertisement
  2. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Ring length is definitely a carrier setting. You'd need to call your carrier.

Are you using your carrier's voicemail or an alternative? That can definitely have an impact on number of rings as well.
  3. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

It's a function of how often your phone polls the tower to check for a call. On the eris, there was a secret menu that you could change how often the phone polls the tower. That will be sure you get the most rings. Otherwise you might get 1-2 before VM.

Of course it will eat more battery.
  4. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid Well-Known Member

I called customer service when I could not adjust this feature. It was going to voice mail after two rings. The idiot I got on with first said it could not be adjusted it was a function of the service. I then explained that my other Verzion phones did not do this and he said there was nothing he could do. I politely told him I needed to talk to his supervisor. He then came back on the line after a few minutes and said it had been adjusted. We tried it and it went to voice mail in 5-6 rings (I don't remember exactly). Call them, but don't let them bs you.
  5. buckyweet

buckyweet Active Member

Haven't needed to do this on my Droid, but I had to call Verizon Wireless to have them adjust the ring duration before. They did it with no problem
  6. Droidood

Droidood Well-Known Member

Interesting, I didn't expect to hear of different people with different default number of rings on the same model phone. I'll have to try giving them a call.

My dad and I both have Droids but he NEVER sets his to vibrate and always leaves it sitting in another room, so I have to listen to his dumb ringtone for what seems like eternity when he gets a call :p