• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

# of rings before voicemail?

Droidood

Nov 3, 2009
Is there any way to change the number of times your Droid rings before the voicemail kicks in? Some people say it's a limitation of the carrier, others say it's an option on most phones... I don't know who to believe but I haven't found the option on the Droid :thinking:

My last phone rang 4 - 5 times (# of rings the caller would hear) at most, but I'd say the Droid is somewhere around double that. It's all fine and dandy if I have the phone in my hand or pocket to silence it, but whenever my phone is sitting a few feet away it's frustrating to listen to the seemingly endless ringing.

It's a carrier setting. Call your carrier to have it changed.

It's a function of how often your phone polls the tower to check for a call. On the eris, there was a secret menu that you could change how often the phone polls the tower. That will be sure you get the most rings. Otherwise you might get 1-2 before VM.

Of course it will eat more battery.

Upvote 0
Is there any way to change the number of times your Droid rings before the voicemail kicks in? Some people say it's a limitation of the carrier, others say it's an option on most phones... I don't know who to believe but I haven't found the option on the Droid :thinking:

My last phone rang 4 - 5 times (# of rings the caller would hear) at most, but I'd say the Droid is somewhere around double that. It's all fine and dandy if I have the phone in my hand or pocket to silence it, but whenever my phone is sitting a few feet away it's frustrating to listen to the seemingly endless ringing.

I called customer service when I could not adjust this feature. It was going to voice mail after two rings. The idiot I got on with first said it could not be adjusted it was a function of the service. I then explained that my other Verzion phones did not do this and he said there was nothing he could do. I politely told him I needed to talk to his supervisor. He then came back on the line after a few minutes and said it had been adjusted. We tried it and it went to voice mail in 5-6 rings (I don't remember exactly). Call them, but don't let them bs you.

Upvote 0
Interesting, I didn't expect to hear of different people with different default number of rings on the same model phone. I'll have to try giving them a call.

My dad and I both have Droids but he NEVER sets his to vibrate and always leaves it sitting in another room, so I have to listen to his dumb ringtone for what seems like eternity when he gets a call :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones