off road navigation with OS UK

Last Updated:

1. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

HI all

I am a keen walker and mountain biker and make use off OS maps. I have been trying a few apps out for this since getting my desire. None quite do the job though:

Maverick comes close as you can create off line maps in many formats including OS on the pc and then put them on the SD card. No signal needed in the middle of the sticks. The only issue I am having. When you record a route, if you lock the phone, it loses the track. When you unlock it, it starts from new location

MY tracks is great. Records track perfectly and upload to Google maps. ONly issue, it uses Google maps which has no off road info.

OS atlas lite. Great OS info down to street level to if needed. STreet level better than Google maps. Problems, no SD cache. No signal, no map. Also, when recording a track, big gaps between points so it looks like you have cut big corners out.

I need something like maverick that works correctly. Any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

3. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

A waterproof Garmin is a better option. If it's peeing down, you're not going to want to get your Desire out to see where you are!

4. BarnumC

BarnumC Well-Known Member

Im with Stucky om this one
    +1
    If you need help on a mountain/open land your Desire will have run out of battery rather quickly. Get a Garmin and save your phone for making that call! Even if it is back to your bunkhouse to get the kettle on

5. jaybo1973

I know what you are saying. This was one of my reasons for getting a smart phone though. I don't get out as much as I did there days due to my twins. So my desire is it for now. Got a weekend in the yorkshire dales coming up though. Just want a decent app for now. Maybe one day ill get my life back and invest in one :)

6. bartlet

bartlet Well-Known Member

7. sandozer

sandozer Well-Known Member

Get ViewRanger, I have been using it for 4 years, started on Nokia N95 and ViewRanger allowed me to transfer licence to my HTC Desire. Incredibly accurate OS mapping, and works happily in background. I use it regularly in the Scottish hills.

They even supply a pretty good map for the whole USA which I used recently and found invaluable as no data connex is required. ;)

jaybo1973 likes this.
  8. jaybo1973

hey, this looks like the one for me. YEs I do have memory map. this looks ideal. I'll give this a go when I am not so shattered. Maverick seemed fine today but memory map will be better.

9. jaybo1973

I would get It if I could download :(

10. bartlet

I had problems updating it today. Could be the Market is overly busy on a weekend? Took about 5 attempts.

11. bartlet

bah - double post!

12. jaybo1973

hey. Had a go with this today, pretty cool. Only have free version at the mo so I can't do a lot. ONly downside for me is my memory map is from 2005 so maps are slightly out of date. Great app though, great to actually have memory map out and about with me