[Off topic] Helped the FBI with my xoom

1. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

I am an airline pilot and was hit by a laser last night coming in to land. I saw exactly where the laser came from so I asked athorities to meet meme at the plane when we got to ththe gate. Police and FBI showed up, I pulled out the xoom, opened up google maps an showed them exactly what house it came from. I was able to pull up the exact address in a short amount time. Don't know if they got the guy but if they do they could get up to 20 years in prison. They loved the xoom!

Advertisement
    :
    kennychaffin likes this.
  2. ninja_reject

ninja_reject Well-Known Member

Wow, Congrats on your exciting life! Once, I helped an old lady find where her friend's house was with Google maps. I guess you win though, lol.
  3. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

Are you absolutely certain of the exact location of the source of the laser? Was the Google Maps data current? I'm only asking because regardless of whether or not an arrest is made, they will probably make someone's life hell. I hope it's the person who lased you because they certainly deserve it. I also hope the FBI doesn't make the same decision as another agency who recently said "no android" because its IT department isn't competent enough to "lock it down."
  4. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

No I didn't tell them that I was absolutely certain. I told them that it came from that neighborhoodand it appeared to come from a corner of the neighborhood surrounded by fields. I did say that I couldn't be sure of the exact location though. They used my information as a starting point. They launched a police aircraft to try to verify this. A total of 6 aircraft were hit by the laser. I doubt they trusted my info to make an arrest, just to narrow their search.
  5. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

Wow, I hope they get the guy. I was wondering if it was so blatant that you could report the location with certainty. I just know how the FBI rolls. Someone over there is going to be sorry about it. If whoever was doing that was being so overt like that, they'll probably get themselves in a whole world of hurt.
  6. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

My guess is that they'll use the info plus whatever info they get from the other pilots to stake out the area to watch for future occurrances. This evidence doesn't place a specific individual at the scene... only identifies a general area where the crime is believed to have occurred.
  7. bgrutter

bgrutter Well-Known Member

Probably a stupid kid and is parents are going to be VERY ANGRY. lol
  8. veccster

veccster Well-Known Member

20 years...for something I wasn't even aware was a crime! Common sense tells me not to do it but I guess it never occurred to me how serious something like that could be.

Did it hit your plane or actually shine into the cockpit? If they are playing with their new $2 laser pointer and hit your wing for shits and giggles, how do you know?

I'm an adult and possess common sense but 20 years ago, I can see myself testing my laser to see if it can reach a plane. Times are different now.