Offical 2.1 Update and disabling of root

1. Syphon

Syphon Well-Known Member

So I have seen rumors that the offical 2.1 update will disable the ability to root. I have a rooted Hero running Fresh 2.0d (about to update to 2.1.1 or Toast) however my wife has a stock Hero. She is not a major geek so I have not roooted her phone yet, however I plan on doing it soon. I was going to wait til the offical 2.1 came out to see if she liked it and if she didn't I would root her phone.

Will the offical 2.1 make it so I can not root her phone? If so, I need to root her phone before Sprint pushes this out OTA.

Advertisement
  2. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

It's NOT OTA, but rather a download to your computer, then install, so you don't have to worry, you will have a choice!
    Download here: HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Hero? (Sprint) - Downloads
  3. Syphon

Syphon Well-Known Member

Ah ok. Is it confirmed though that it disables the ability to root the phone?
  4. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Yes, for now. The general feeling here is that the DEVs will figure out a way to root it at some pint, just how long that will take...???

I'm in the same boat as you... I am leaning toward rooting, then installing the leaked version of 2.1 that retains root, but I haven't made my final decision yet. Waiting on more feedback from the 2.1 official update.
    Syphon likes this.
  5. Syphon

Syphon Well-Known Member

Yeah I will have to see. The biggest plus to be rooted is the fact that with 2.2 in sight, we all know the Hero wont get an Official one till like next year so if I root her phone, I can get her up and running on 2.2 once the ROMs come out.

The biggest things she wants is the WiFi Tethering as we use my phone as our main internet connection at our apartment, however we are moving to a new house in a few weeks and I will be purchasing high speed internet making her have no need for it. ...CHOICES CHOICES! lol
  6. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

Assuming the Hero can handle 2.2, of course.
  7. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Well-Known Member

mmm 2.2 sounds delicious!
    i bet our hero can run it (aren't our hardware specs similar to the droid?)...but maybe we need apps2sd because sense bulks up android so much.
  8. dhero

dhero Well-Known Member

If the official release is the same as the most recent leak, as reported elsewhere, then the official release was rooted several days ago - get it here! :p
  9. tailsthecat

tailsthecat Well-Known Member

if the android os has been so optimized that froyo is up to 450% faster than previous versions, im pretty sure the hero can handle 2.2.
    mhz isnt everything.
  10. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

I don't think it will. It's looking like a lot of the newer Android phones are running the Snapdragon and Humming Bird processors, and coming packed to the gills with on board memory. I don't expect to see 2.2 on the Hero, nor would I expect Google, HTC, or Sprint to make it happen anyway, in the same way I don't expect Microsoft to make an OS for my Pentium 486 (sidenote, you can port Windows 3.1 to Android, that's like one plus from Android 2.1).