Offical Android 3.0 Gingerbread discussion

Last Updated:

1. Anil Sreedhar

Anil Sreedhar Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

Well lets move on to the next level. The wait for Froyo is over. Now we can look for he Ginger Bread. Lets see whats google has in store for us...any surprises??

and if you are saying that GingerBread is nt coming in near future this article is for you...

Advertisement
  2. peter7769

peter7769 Well-Known Member

Maybe your wait for Froyo is over but there are a lot of users out here still waiting :mad:

3. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

should be september for t-mobile users buddy :)

4. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

So the wait for FroYo is over is it? Funny that......the vast majority of Desire users haven't got it yet.

Besides, from what I've read so far, rumour has it that 3.0 is intended for next gen phones and pads because some features need a 1.5 processor speed, where the current Desire only has 1.0.

5. peter7769

peter7769 Well-Known Member

Yeah thats what i heard, just cracks me up that people are talking about the next thing even before we all have 2.2 and the bugs have to be ironed out :rolleyes:

6. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

First bit of good news is that the piccie is supposed to be running on a Nexus. If it runs on a Nexus then it will be very quickly running on a Desire in some form or other, probably before HTC releases a new version.

What are supposed to be the key features? It's a full version release so presumably something pretty drastic. The only think I can recall is that it is supposed to restructure the OS to make things like Sense a lot easier to overlay = less day in releasing official manufacturer versions.

7. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

to be honest, i'd be very surprised if the desire sees an extra OS upgrade. somehow, i feel that the desire will get the 2.2 update, then will be nerfed for the next top HTC phone in line, which will ship with 2.2 and get the update to 3.0 when it is released.. but then again, by the time 3.0 is released, we'll all be due upgrades :D

8. Nodders

Probably, but the point I was (badly) trying to make is that if it comes out on Nexus then it doesn't matter what HTC does. Someone will port it over to Desire in much the same way we saw with 2.2.

A big lesson I've learned from owning a Hero and Desire is to buy an unbranded HTC model that has the same infrastructure as a google product (as Desire, Incredible, Evo are with the Nexus One).

9. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

This is a bit like the Hero. It saw 2.1 even though it had been replace ( sorry 3 UK users I know you are still waiting for 2.1) but only AFTER the Legend Desire Got it. So Desire may well see Gingerbread but not till after its replacements get it.
    I don't believe the 1.5 minimum processor rumours. Androids entire reason for existance is to get Google apps into the hands of as many people as possible and limiting it to high end phones is not going to help

10. Nodders

As I said though - this is not like Hero because the Desire shares its hardware with a google branded device, which the Hero didn't. Desire will see Gingerbread shortly after Nexus gets it (for rooted phones at least). The driver is what google does with it's handsets, not how HTC plays with its replacements. Of course google might wait to port it to the Nexus until after its replacement gets it, but the fact that the sneaked shot shows the new OS on a Nexus is promising.

I feel like I'm not making my point very well, but hopefully the last 3 posts I've made sort of get it across.

11. Bonce34

Bonce34 Active Member

12. TonyHTC

TonyHTC Active Member

This is also what I've heard:

The 2.x builds will continue to develop for mobile handsets and the 3.x builds will be for tablets etc which have faster processors. (And presumably for newer mobile handsets with better spec). Google say they will not stop development of the 2.x builds for current handset owners.

Here we go:

-Android 3.0 Gingerbread will be released in mid- October (around 15 -16th), 2010. First handsets shipping in November/December – for the Holiday Season.
    -Minimum hardware requirements for Android 3.0 devices are: 1GHZ CPU, 512MB or RAM, displays from 3.5” and higher. (We all, of course, heard that Android handsets with 2GHz CPU’s are coming)
    -New 1280

13. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

14. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

Yes but even the guy who wrote the above story now admits that it is all just based on speculation and rumour. Nothing has actually been confirmed.

15. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

Root users will most certainly get Gingerbread in a few months :D

16. seanxwong

seanxwong Well-Known Member

I am not sure if I can still wait untill the day of the 3.0 being released. I take it that Gingerbread would prolly eat a lot more of internal storage than Froyo does. iPhone 4 is prolly the next phone of mine.

17. Paranoid_Android101

Paranoid_Android101 Active Member

lol this article has no substanance what so ever, pure speculation!

18. islandmixed

islandmixed Well-Known Member

Hate to kill the fun but folks act like a update will change their lifes..i mean i just updated to 2.2. its not a major difference to me at all, its good to have a update but my gosh, i dont see no miricles happen when updated LOL. abit faster maybe, different programs etc but thats about it. maybe its just me, i dunno. i deffo will update to 3.0 on my unlocked/unbranded phone.

19. benchmark

benchmark Well-Known Member

There is no smoke without a fire.
    Rumours always have some element of truth .

20. Nodders

No they don't

21. Infinifail

Infinifail Well-Known Member

Geez. You just got an update and you are already screaming for another one.
    Here's a little tip from me. Don't count on 3.0 coming to the desire.
    Maybe it will, but don't count on it. Updates cost money, a lot of money.
    We should be happy we apready got 2.2 (or for some of you, that we are going to get it).

22. Incredible_Nat

Incredible_Nat Well-Known Member

I have a similar feeling........by the way, anyone knows of a link (like to a vid) that demos Gingerbreads UI, etc.? Thnx

23. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

It's almost certain you'll be able to get 3.0 by rooting the desire. It's inevitable someone will port it over, no matter what is involved in doing so! And if/when that day comes, sod 2.2, I'm rooting. ;)

24. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but the Desire will probably never get Gingerbead. I doubt HTC will be happy about letting us upgrade to Android 3.0 with it being a native OS with no custom UIs over the top. That would mean bye bye Sense.

25. willis

willis Well-Known Member

I agree. You could root but by the time its official, Htc would've forgotten about the Desire. Its a major chore for them each time as we've seen, even with a relatively new handset.