Official 2.1 OR Custom ROMs?

Last Updated:

1. tanna

tanna Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey there people!

Just a quick one as stated in the title,

Finally SEA got a release on Hero 2.1 and I'm just wondering if I should get the official via OTA or should I stick to my existing VillainROM/SenseHero?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. stoney73

stoney73 Well-Known Member

I would stick to the rom you have for now, And if you do want to update to the official rom....just wait for the repack that will probably be available a few hours afterwards.
    At least that way, you won't lose root?

also remember, the custom roms have a few extra features than the official roms seem to. so well worth waiting.the official 2.1 won't have live wallpapers,and a cpl of other features. As htc reckon that our beloved hero doesnt have the power to run them. How wrong they are.

3. mgillespie

mgillespie Well-Known Member

Why not Official AND Custom ROM?

You won't have to wait very long for a repack of the standard ROM, that does not mess with things, but allows you to keep root and recovery image, and thus also keeping your options open for the future.

As I understand it, 2.1 offical is unrootable currently, so if you load stock, you can never move to anything else again.

4. tanna

I'm sorry, but can you guys explain what is repack and kitchen?
    So I shouldn't update OTA?

thanks!

5. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Repack = ROM dismantled, rooted then reassembled in an update.zip format.

Kitchen = web page where users can "cook" their own customized ROM by including/excluding various apps, features etc.

Not if you want to be sure of retaining root and the ability to flash alternative ROMs, no.

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

tanna likes this.
  6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

This thread looks promising: [ROOTED ROM] Official HTC OTA WWE 2.1 Update! - xda-developers

The download link is offline at the moment, but it seems to be a rooted version of the generic, stock 2.1 release.

Flashing that via the recovery menu would give you a stock ROM, but allow you to keep root access and your recovery menu.

tanna likes this.
  7. premiump

premiump Well-Known Member

Just noticed this thread, it seems the question to the new thread I have just posted is in the link above.

Excellent, now for a good read ...

8. premiump

premiump Well-Known Member

Looks like they are having problems right now, I'll give it a day or so ...

9. tanna

Hey thanks guys! You guys are of great help! :] Feel free to pour in more info! Thanks again! =D

10. bhkpop

bhkpop New Member

so currently if you have updated to 2.1 official ROM, you can't root it?

11. Xyro

bhkpop likes this.
  12. bhkpop

bhkpop New Member

Wow. Thanks for the fast reply. I want to try and compare between the official and of course the rooted one :D

So if ur 1.5 is unrooted and updated to 2.1 official, you can root it using the above link?

13. Xyro

Hang on, I just had a proper read through the post I linked to, and it seems that you can't yet get root access on official 2.1 firmware.

The guide tells you how to switch to rooted custom firmware, but not how to root the official firmware. (Although honestly, if you're going to root your phone, I don't seem why you wouldn't switch to the better custom firmware anyway).

14. bhkpop

bhkpop New Member

Hahaha... I haven't rooted my 1.5 as I was under warranty but now as my warranty almost up (left with 1 or 2 month), so why not root it anyway :D

I'll read through the posting to confirm whether it's okay or not.

Update:
    I think the main purpose on the tutorial is to get you to the be able to load custom rom and not in the official rom but have root access... Hmmmm.. Interesting.. Then I should just root my 1.5 and load cROM :D

15. Xyro

Yeah, I noticed as well like 10 minutes before you :p Sorry about that, I should've read what I was linking to first.

Like I said, if you're rooting you may as well install a custom rom. It's much better :)