• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 2.2 Froyo OTA thread

How did your update to 2.2 turn out!

• I had never rooted, and it worked fine.

Votes: 108 57.4%
  • I had rooted, and it worked fine.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I had never rooted and got stuck at the MOTO screen.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • I had rooted, and got stuck at the MOTO screen.

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters
It's been out barely three weeks. And one update has already been sent. Relax.

It has been released for three weeks, but they have been developing it for many months.This all a marketing ploy in hopes of driving D2 sales.Frustrated DX holdouts will buy the D2 because they are tired of waiting for the DX to get it and have no firm date as to when it will get it.

Upvote 0
It has been released for three weeks, but they have been developing it for many months.This all a marketing ploy in hopes of driving D2 sales.Frustrated DX holdouts will buy the D2 because they are tired of waiting for the DX to get it and have no firm date as to when it will get it.

What gain do they get from that when both phones are from the same company...."Motorola!"

Upvote 0
the reson droid got it so quick is because it is stock 2.2 not blur 2.2... And why would they wait to upgrade the X because of the droid 2 when the droid has it and they are all from the same company and phone carrier?

Because it creates more demand for the Droid 2.Every company wants a large demand for its products.They could release 10 phones a month a part, but they would still want the demand to be there for each one.It's about the overall picture they want to build a large amount of hype around each phone.

Upvote 0

Google has been developing it for many months. 2.2 AOSP was released three weeks ago for Motorola/HTC and other companies to do what they want with it, and since Sense and Blur are such heavy modifications to the stock 2.2, that takes time to get it ported.

Google should really force manufacturers to allow a completely bone stock version of Android. But they won't because then Verizon won't be able to charge for tethering with the built-in tethering of 2.2.

Upvote 0
copy/paste from a guy with 11 posts here isn't something I like.

copy/paste from a mac, is something that I suspect, hence the ?/diamond characters.

my 11 posts here are because i am new to droid coming from Modaco(maldonj1)/PPCGeeks/and XDA, not new to the world of getting tips and letting fellow forum users know.

and the copy paste diamonds are because the i lost the formatting when i did copy paste from the pdf file i received.

Upvote 0
my 11 posts here are because i am new to droid coming from Modaco(maldonj1)/PPCGeeks/and XDA, not new to the world of getting tips and letting fellow forum users know.

and the copy paste diamonds are because the i lost the formatting when i did copy paste from the pdf file i received.

u have to love those that make assumptions :)

Reactions: Foxgguy2001
Upvote 0

ppc/xda, I know ya from there. You are good to go here :D

Upvote 0
its all good, :) on that note, i have been informed original Droid by motorola will receive the updates first starting yesterday and today and working its way up the chain of devices, not sure why they are doing it that way, only thing i can think of is from a support point of view... just a thought.

I already have my conspiracy theory worked out: Release it on the D1 to work out any pre-launch bugs left. Look at the D1 forum, and there are a few complaints. Everybody is desperate to avoid an iPhone 4 launch...

Keeping things real for just a moment, DX has moved 350K + units in one month. That's ~5 times the total membership of this forum, which is pretty huge for this sort of thing. Does anyone really, honestly think 2.2 factors into the vast majority of buyers consideration?

A better 2.2 gives D2 a minor, very temporary marketing edge (BTW, not in the TV blitz, just for a handful of online weenies), but the real decider for 90% of buyers will be the form factor--keyboard, or big *ss screen?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones