Official 2.3 Gingerbread update available (EH09)Support

1. Zebulon

Zebulon Well-Known Member

Just tried to update via the "simple upgrade tool" and now I'm stuck in boot loops, so I guess I'll be running to the US Cellular store tonight.
  2. Bloomy6

Bloomy6 Well-Known Member

Noticing one thing. Every time I touch the screen the four keys at the bottom of the phone light up. Wondering if this is normal for gingerbread?
  3. kmf

kmf Well-Known Member

Did the update at the USCC store tonight. In and out in 15 minutes. Painless. Did not need to reinstall anything. Of course there were updates for my current apps. The phone is more responsive, with better signal strength and speed. WiFi speeds are better too. Maybe we finally got the Mes we were always supposed to have?
    LaTuFu likes this.
  4. Zebulon

Zebulon Well-Known Member

Update:

Got into the store at about 6:55 (service closed at 7:00) and was out with a functioning phone by 7:05. So far everything seems to be working pretty well. I did have to reinstall everything, which was probably for the best, since I'm not as dilligent as I should be about removing old apps that aren't getting used.
    LaTuFu likes this.
  5. Tonitz

Tonitz Active Member

I just got back from the US Cellular store. Got my update (EH09). Phone was completely wiped. My phone was also rooted when I brought it in, and after the update it is no longer rooted. He did not say anything to me about my phone being rooted. Took about 15 minutes for the tech to do the update.
    LaTuFu likes this.
  6. Bloomy6

Bloomy6 Well-Known Member

So far, the phone is performing fantastic. More like what I thought should have been while on froyo. Phone is much more responsive. I was truly to the point of wanting a different phone due to the lag and sluggishness prior to this update. Still not liking the fact that the bottom four keys light up everytime I touch the screen. I have looked for settings for this And can't seem to find any. Otherwise, happy so far.
    LaTuFu likes this.
  7. freewilly2

freewilly2 Member

i just did it myself at home and nothing was removed. my wall papers are the same my apps are all here and still have all my contacts, but there is a different notification bar so iknow it worked. why didnt i lose all my apps and data? im not complaining here just curious. i even have all my text messages from before the update.
    LaTuFu likes this.
  8. crimpshrine

crimpshrine Member

So I went to the store and got mine updated. I knew it would probably wipe everything out, which it did but I thought any apps I saved to my SD card would still be on there? I don't see any of them anywhere!? Am I missing something or did it wipe all my saved apps off my SD card too?
    LaTuFu likes this.
  9. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member Contributor

The mini kies update is not a full reflash.

The data for your apps may still be on your SD card. It just won't be visible until you reinstall the apps. Some of those apps may overwrite your data when you reinstall them, so it will be a moot point, anyway.
    Country_Gravy likes this.
  10. skotter

skotter New Member

Any changes to the portable wifi hotspot? If that still works and I don't have to actually get a "tether plan" i'm going to get this done ASAP. Please post after testing the Portable wifi hotspot
  11. crimpshrine

crimpshrine Member

Another problem I see is that when I'm in the browser and I want to go back one page and I hit the "back" button it closes the whole browser out. Is there not a way to back up pages in the browser anymore?

Also, before in the browser you could tap on a webpage and it would zoom the letters in so you could read the words better.

Am I missing something in the settings?
  12. LaTuFu

I can't answer for certain, as I have not yet gotten the update. However, USCC's official stance since the phone was released has been "tether plan required."

The WiFi hotspot app has still worked without a tether plan, and only counts against your regular monthly data cap.

I would be surprised if they removed that functionality after all this time, since its been one of the main selling points for this phone.
  13. 2acclaim

2acclaim Well-Known Member

did the update at home. A few visual changes are very noticeable. Notification bar, keyboard are two at top of my head. Also as someone previously stated, every screen press turns on the lights at the bottom of the phone(search, back, home key).

Seems to boot quicker and run smoother. A few updates had to be installed such as google voice.

Didn't lose anything in the reflash but also haven't made/received any calls since then either.

Wish I had some SIP friends to try that.

Easy as can be to do
    LaTuFu likes this.
  14. Country_Gravy

Country_Gravy Well-Known Member

My battery life with gingerbread has been amazing. After 12 hours of regular use (texting, phone calls, internet and some games) I still had 70% battery life.

This IS the phone that I thought I was getting over a year ago. Now I just have to wait for USCC to get the Galaxy SII in another couple of years.
    Rusticus and LaTuFu like this.
  15. crimpshrine

crimpshrine Member

So when I receive a text, my screen is staying lit up until unlock it? Why is this? I have it set for the screen to only display for 1 minute but it's staying lit!?!
  16. freewilly2

freewilly2 Member

17. 2acclaim

2acclaim Well-Known Member

18. LaTuFu

I decided to try downloading the update from the USCC site and give it a try, before I go in to the store. Its looking like it'll be a week or more before I can get over there, so I figured I had nothing to lose.

I had no issues with the software load, didn't lose any apps or data. We'll see how it goes for the next few days.
  19. Ziphless

Ziphless Well-Known Member

Reflashed at USCellular store today!
    So far it feels like a brand new phone!
    Signal strength at my house went from zero or one bar,
    now it goes from two bars to three bars!
    Love the new appearance of notification bar, and a few
    Other differences, so far that I noticed.
    LaTuFu likes this.
  20. crimpshrine

crimpshrine Member

Ok, I did a battery pull and that mixed my screen to finally timeout like it should but I'm still having trouble with the "back" button on the browser. It works find when I am browsing inside the actual browser, it's when I make a shortcut of a website and put it on my home-screen is where it doesn't work properly. Anybody have a clue?
  21. kmf

kmf Well-Known Member

I notice that my bottom controls do light up when I touch the screen. No problems with the stock browser. I assume that I have the full update: 2.3.4 EH09?
  22. Tonitz

Tonitz Active Member

From the home screen press Menu -> Settings -> About phone. Look at firmware & build number
  23. dukeofbluz

dukeofbluz Well-Known Member

I updated mine myself with no problems other then some missing widgets. Looks great, seems to work ok so far.
    Thank you,
    Duke
    LaTuFu likes this.
  24. Tsquared

Tsquared New Member

I had mine reflashed at the US Cellular store yesterday. The tech said it would take about 5 minutes because I already had the latest update prior and that he had not had anyone have anything, data or apps, wiped at all. It did take about 5 minutes and nothing was missing. There's a new app called 'downloads' that appeared. I don't like how the task manager now doesn't show how many open apps you have until you open the task manager itself. Other than that, I really like the way the navigation bar lights up when the screen is touched. It suits how I use my phone.
    LaTuFu likes this.
  25. Ziphless

Ziphless Well-Known Member

It seems as though colors are more vibrant and pictures are super clear with this new update. And the light at the bottom function buttons does go on when you touch the screen....i think that's an improvement and makes sense. I thought something was wrong because it kept going on.
    I recommend the update, and will update my wifes ASAP.
    LaTuFu likes this.