Official 2.3 Gingerbread update available (EH09)Support

1. dukeofbluz

dukeofbluz Well-Known Member

About the only problem I have not been able to solve so far is my volume control. Using the bar on the side of the phone to control the volume, I dont have vibrate anymore. It goes from low volume to silent.
    I do have another vibrate app that I can turn the phone to vibrate but its a hassle.

oops, one more thing, while on a web page I use to have a little spot to push at the bottom right corner of the screen to increase or decrease the size of the screen, its no longer there, yes i can still use the volume control but I was so use to having this function.

Duke

edit:
    I use to be able to go from volume high to vibrate to silent. Now I can only go to vibrate OR silent, depending on which setting I use.

My buddy has a new mesmerize then mine and his goes to vibrate, there is no silent when using the side volume control.
    LaTuFu likes this.
  2. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member

I've been very pleased with the update so far. My phone has been much more stable and all of the "glitchy" stuff appears to be resolved (so far).

It's what I expected this phone to be a year ago when the phone came out.

I can't really see much difference in battery life at this point, but given the size of the display, the power of it, and the size relative to the battery, I don't think there is too much that can be done about it anyway.
    Country_Gravy likes this.
  3. Zebulon

Zebulon Well-Known Member

You haven't noticed an improvement in battery life? That's odd. I think I'm getting at LEAST 50% more life out of mine. I can actually go a whole day without keeping it on a charger now.
  4. dixie_boysles

dixie_boysles Well-Known Member

So far I LOVE 2.3. I freakin hated 2.2 and switched back to 2.1 after i upgraded. I love the way 2.3 looks and feels. no lag in the keyboard anymore and I can actually type much better even with smaller keys.

The phone is much more responsive as well which I love. I agree with all the others, this is what the Mesmerize was made for!
    LaTuFu likes this.
  5. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member

It's definitely improved, I'm just not sure I can say how much. This is the original battery for my phone, so it's quite likely I'll see a huge improvement if I go get a new one.
  6. dukeofbluz

Same problem here, back button takes me all the way out of the web site, not just 1 page back.
    I did notice if I tap on the lower right side of a web page (provided there is not a link there) the size increases, decreases on the lower left side.
  7. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member

I have been using dolphin HD for so long, I don't even know what the differences are between the 2.2 stock browser and the 2.3 stock browser.

I can tell you that the back button still goes back one page on dolphin!

Maybe try hitting the menu button and see if the "back" button has a menu setting you can customize?
    dukeofbluz and Country_Gravy like this.
  8. Tofudisan

Tofudisan Member

Sitting here waiting for my charge indicator to read 100% so that I can perform the update. Can't wait. It's at 98% now. I'm assuming the warning for full battery before update is so that the system "knows" the capacity of the battery before trying to charge it?

Will report back on how the update went as soon as I can. Oh, btw, I rooted my phone using Super1Click a few weeks ago. Will let you know if I have to re-root or not.:cool:
  9. Tofudisan

Tofudisan Member

Well that sucks. The updater doesn't seem to be recognizing my phone. Just sits there trying to detect it.

Guess I'll try the upgrade on the home computer tonight. Very disappointed.:mad:

[​IMG]
  10. Tofudisan

Tofudisan Member

Sorry to be hitting the board so much. Got home and Windows7 64-bit seems to be the charm after the OS downloaded all the drivers for the phone the "Next" button in the upgrader was enabled!

Update is going as I type. Stay tuned.

Edit: Well that was quick. Update is finished. Now to play with the phone and compare it to my wife's Mes. :cool:
  11. Tofudisan

Tofudisan Member

Okay that was scary. Phone was stuck on the "Galaxy S" splash after the boot animation. Stayed there until I took the battery out. But it did boot finally after the battery pull.

I immediately see the interface difference. Not sure I care for it honestly but I can live with it. I see why people think they're getting better reception. Going from 0-1 bar on a 4-bar scale and now seeing 1-2 bars on a 5-bar scale could confuse some. Will have to see if I have better reception at work to really tell. My office is in a basement and there's literally 3 spots I can put my phone to get reception to send/receive texts (forget calls). So if that changes then I know for sure that reception is improved. Still that seems bound more by the antenna not software.

All of my apps & contacts appear to be there but I do need to root my phone again. Hopefully SuperOneClick is truly Gingerbread ready.

Build says EH09. Is that the latest? I'll have to look in the other threads I suppose.

Anyway here's a screencap that shows the new info bar at the top for those curious.
    [​IMG]
  12. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member

Yes, the signal bar is changed, but the signal strength has been improved as well. In places where I got 0-1 bar on 2.2/EE19, I was getting 3-4 bars with 2.2/EC10. Now I'm getting 4-5 bars in those same places with 2.3/EH09.

The phone was stuck on the splash screen for a few minutes while it went through the initial boot load of your new OS firmware. Its a one-time deal, won't take as long to boot from now on.

Let us know how it goes getting it rooted. So far, S1C does not work with 2.3.
    Tofudisan likes this.
  13. 2acclaim

2acclaim Well-Known Member

i've been getting much better battery life. I actually went 3 days without it needing a charge. Admittedly I didn't use it that much over the holiday weekend but there was no way even just idling I'd ever get more than 2 days out of a single charge.
  14. Tofudisan

Tofudisan Member

I have a co-worker who used to work in the cell industry . His theory is that the phone is negotiating with the tower to request the tower boost signal strength when the phone detects weak signal. Makes some sense.
  15. kmf

kmf Well-Known Member

What is the optimum signal strength numerically? If you go into menu>settings>about phone>status>signal strength you see the strength number. Right now my phone says 75dBm.
  16. Tofudisan

Tofudisan Member

My office confirms that I'm getting better reception after the EH09 upgrade. Where I once had to put my phone in one of two spots on my desk to get even 1 bar of reception; I now get reception (1 bar at least) everywhere.

Checking signal strength first said 99dBM and just now flipped to 102dBm. Moving to the two "good" spots, that I had previously identified, the phone says 96dBm at first and then climbs to 105dBm after a second.

I wish I'd thought to have checked signals prior to updating the build.:confused:
  17. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member

If you haven't yet updated your wife's Mez, you could benchmark with hers.
    Country_Gravy and Tofudisan like this.
  18. dukeofbluz

I installed Dolphin last night and it works great!
    Thank you,
    Duke

19. Bigbadbikernerd

Bigbadbikernerd New Member

Just waiting on a response on this question. I'm waiting on updating until I see an answer. Thanks!
  20. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member

WiFi Hotspot is still on the phone, and it still works just as it did with 2.2. I do not have a tethering plan, and I am able to use it with no problems.
  21. Zebulon

Zebulon Well-Known Member

Same here. It seems to work better than on 2.2 for me, mainly because of the better reception. When I was on 2.2, my 3G would go dormant all the time, so I would be in the middle of loading a page on my tablet and it would just stop.
  22. Tofudisan

Tofudisan Member

3rd Witness. In fact I had to use this feature just last night to connect 3 Toshiba laptops to the net to update their A/V software. Worked fine. Slower than I'd have preferred but it did work.
  23. kmf

kmf Well-Known Member

WiFi Hotspot works fine with my phone. I'm using it right now.
  24. gspdavis

gspdavis New Member

I upgraded to gingerbread last night from froyo with no problems at all but today I have had to charge my battery 3 times! I thought I was supposed to get better battery life? All my settings are the same as before so I don't know what the problem is. Any suggestions? I'm. Open to anything at this point.
  25. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member

You may want to do a battery pull restart of your phone. If that doesn't work, try swapping batteries at a USCC store.

One thing that has not been an issue with this upgrade is battery life. It has to be something specific to your phone.