Official 4G/WiMAX Coverage Areas

1. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

If you want the OP updated then PM me, I can't check this thread everyday.

I think we could use this thread to keep track of 4G coverage as Sprint and Clear roll it out as well as rumored 4G spots. Here's a map and list of cities so far Clear has covered.

http://www.clear.com/coverage
    http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPACT.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Cov

Current Live WiMAX Areas (Official and unofficial)

Official: Confirmed by Sprint and/or Clear.
    Unofficial: Reported activity by users. Coverage may be very spotty or almost nonexistent.

California
    Los Angeles
    San Jose (unofficial)
    Visalia
    Merced
    Modesto
    Stockton
    Hayward (unofficial)
    Sherman Oaks (unofficial)
    Long Beach (unofficial)
    Walnut Creek (unofficial)
    San Francisco
    Sacramento

Colorado
    Denver (unofficial)
    Lakewood (unofficial)

Florida
    Orlando
    Jacksonville
    Pembroke Pines (unofficial)
    Daytona Beach
    Tampa (unofficial)
    Miami

Georgia
    Atlanta
    Milledgeville

Hawaii
    Honolulu
    Maui

Idaho
    Boise

Illinois
    Chicago

Maryland
    Baltimore

Massachusetts
    Boston

Michigan
    Grand Rapids

Minnesota
    Minneapolis-St. Paul
    Rosemount (unofficial)
    Hopkins (unofficial)
    Woodbury (unofficial)
    Shakopee (unofficial)

Missouri
    St. Louis

Nevada
    Las Vegas

North Carolina
    Charlotte
    Greensboro
    High Point
    Raleigh
    Winston-Salem

New Jersey
    East Rutherford (unofficial)
    Newark (unofficial)
    Bayonne (unofficial)
    Nutley (unofficial)
    Bloomfield (unofficial)
    Elizabeth (unofficial)
    Patterson (unofficial)

New York
    New York City
    Rochester
    Syracuse

Ohio
    Columbus
    Cincinnati (unofficial)
    Cleveland
    North Olmsted (unofficial)

Oregon
    Portland
    Salem
    Eugene

Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia
    Harrisburg
    Lancaster
    Reading
    York
    Pittsburgh

Rhode Island
    Providence

Tennessee
    Nashville

Texas
    Abilene
    Amarillo
    Austin
    Corpus Christi
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Houston
    Killeen
    Lubbock
    Midland/Odessa
    San Antonio
    Wichita Falls
    Waco

Utah
    Salt Lake City

Virginia
    Richmond

Washington
    Bellingham
    Everett
    Kitsap
    Tacoma
    Seattle
    Pasco

Districts/Territories
    Washington D.C.

Advertisement
  2. KRD

KRD Well-Known Member

I need it in Pittsburgh. Penguins and Steelers all the way!!!!!!
  3. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Clearwire has job openings for Executive, Manager, and Technician in Pittsburgh.
  4. TheAndroidWorks

TheAndroidWorks Well-Known Member

I have heard rumors of Nashville as well.
  5. billsmed

billsmed Well-Known Member

Thanks, SoFLO. I don't know if I could contain myself if Tampa Bay were to get WiMAX and the Supersonic were to come out soon!!!
    tigger2u likes this.
  6. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

They have one job opening in Nashville: Microwave & Transport Engineer - Nashville/Memphis & Surrounding Area.

No problem Bill!

I looked at the big cities such as NYC and LA....they have two pages of job offereings each which probably either means A) they're just getting started and will get Wimax later than other cities or B) they're just getting started and realized this so they want to catch and surpass other cities :p
  7. pkpmoa1536

pkpmoa1536 Well-Known Member

Clearwire also had recently posted job openings for the Kansas City area.

@KRD I know I live in KC, but been a life-long Steelers fan. This year we get #7!!!!!!!
  8. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

how about the oklahoma area LMAO! it'd be nice to have it when im up at school too, and not justwhen i visit home
  9. KRD

KRD Well-Known Member

The SuperSonic, 4G, and a seventh Superbowl championship. Sounds good to me.:D:D:D:D:D:D
    mcnutty likes this.
  10. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I don't see any listings or Twitter accounts Oklahoma but I would imagine in time they would get 4G as well, especially with a city like OKC.
  11. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

As usual I can't get the Clear site to load (great service, terrible website) but last time I looked, it didn't even show Baltimore which was one of the first places to get Sprint's Xohm service. I beta tested it last winter and got a free laptop out of the deal so I'm pretty familiar with it. Seems like their site sucks and the whole division was kind of halfassed (even after rebranding as Clear) but the service is great. Last time I counted, they had at least 30 cities and were adding another 10-15 by year's end this year. They won't be good in the country but by starting in more densely populated areas they can reach the maximum number of people with the least towers so it only makes sense.
  12. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Although this really belongs in the Sprint forum, I'll leave it in here for the time being as a sticky since the Supersonic would be the only phone that would utilize the 4G spectrum or until someone objects to it being here.

TS
    kritzell, PaulMcCartney and Norril like this.
  13. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Alright that's fine with me.
  14. bimmjo

bimmjo Well-Known Member

I mentioned on another thread, that I have the Clear service in my home now for about two full weeks. I am in the Ft Worth area. I just ran a test from Speedtest.com a couple minutes ago. My download speed on two consecutive tests was over 7 Mbps and the upload speed was right at 1 Mbps. I have peaked on my download at over 9 and upload at a little over 1. I have had it as low as under 1 for my download and .5 for the upload. It is pretty consistently between the 3-6 that they advertise.

I do a test about daily just because the first week I had lots of problems. THey changed out my modem free of charge and since then I have always had five bars and consistent service.

More importantly to me, their customer service has been OUTSTANDING. I have been on the phone with them 3 times and they get 10 stars out of 10 for two of them and about 20 stars on the other. I had one tech that answered my call about an email they sent for something I needed to do with my phone service. He asked me if I was COMPLETELY satisfied and I said no becuase my wireless router was not working. He spent over an hour with me and finally got it going. It had NOTHING to do with the Clear stuff, but when I made the change to them, I was not able to get it working after, so he stayed on until we had it going. He could have easily given up, but I think he enjoyed the challenge.

So for me, that is my Clear experience. If Sprints use of this stuff is as good, I think they will have some leverage with competitors. I for one am a Sprint fan also though because of how they have done me in the Customer Service end of things, and for their lower cost plans.
  15. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Great customer service is always an asset. I've never had Sprint so I don't know about their CS but I heard it's underrated, I'm sure they'll be like the Clear experience as well especially in the beginning trying to sort out any bugs. Those speeds are impressive as well, now I really can't wait :D
  16. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Organized the thread and added new categories.
  17. billsmed

billsmed Well-Known Member

Based on this website in Grand Rapids, Michigan, it goes to show you that there are probably many, many more cities we don't know about yet: www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/wireless

Thanks for keeping us informed, SoFLO. :)
    kritzell and PaulMcCartney like this.
  18. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Wow if that's the case I'm going to have my work cut out for me :D

Added Grand Rapids
  19. Covert_Death

i think CS is hit or miss with sprint, i've heard it's bad but the 2 times i've had to call in near 10 years of contract, both were quiet helpful and understanding of my situation.... i may have been lucky though idk
  20. neodorian

Make sure to add Baltimore, MD to this list. I have been using it as Xohm and later Clear for over a year here.
  21. pkpmoa1536

pkpmoa1536 Well-Known Member

great job with the investigative work soFLO, not to nitpick, but the Kansas City metro area is actually considered Missouri not Kansas. Kansas City, KS is smaller than KCMO, it is considered a suburb up around here. It's really kind of funny because Sprint's World headquarters are in Overland Park, KS, but everything gets all mumbled because of the metro criss-crossing across the two states. Keep up the good work.
  22. subzero123

subzero123 Well-Known Member

so I live in an area with "signal strength varies". Does this mean im screwed? I dont really mind the fact that my tiny little city will never get 4g (Charleston WV), but will I at least be be able to use the SS with decent service? I dont know anyone who has sprint personally, so I cant ask
  23. Covert_Death

see if you can "rent" a sprint phone to test service, just tell them you want to carry around a phone for a day to see how service is for your daily commute
  24. subzero123

subzero123 Well-Known Member

pretty great idea, assuming they will let me do this. Ill call tomorrow. Thanks
  25. neodorian

Pretty sure you get a 30-day window to cancel as well. I'd just as soon wait for the release and buy it. Test it for 30 days and if it works well you can cancel the old phone. If it sucks you can return it (unless I'm mistaken).