• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 4G/WiMAX Coverage Areas

Well, this part's going to sound like a cop-out, but I can't as it's all under NDA; but I can say my previous client is developing an LTE handset.

Yes, it does.

... from one of the companies pushing WiMax over LTE, and who makes chipsets for WiMax ...

Why is that any less valid then your previous argument about how Verizon and AT&T went with LTE because it is superior? At least the company I've referenced has actually published figures to show why one technology is better than the other.

It's more than that.

I thought I'd listed this in the original post when I talked about it, but I realize I'd omitted the impetus for trying out VZ LTE in the first place. Where I stay when I commute to NoCal has a very strong signal (-65 dBm) but the tower is oversold and there's plenty of WiFi interference (which is another 2.5GHz WiMax weakness- even my Cradlepoint router warns not to retransmit on WiFi channels > 3 else you'll interfere with the WiMax signal) so my thruput bounces all over the place, going from as low as 700 kbit/sec all the way to about 8Mbit/sec- even the Speedtest.net graphs bear this out.

I'm sure some of that is due to to congested pipes (and I've told Sprint more than once about that tower) but I know I get a more-consistent connection on VZ, and I've never had more than ~40% (-68 dBm) LTE signal. Part of that is also due to superior technology, and the better building penetration of 700 MHz. In either case, wherever I've been in the Western US where there's been both VZ LTE and Sprint WiMax signals available, the VZ solution has been more consistent each time.

I've been reading some pretty specious things on these boards re: WiMax vs. LTE (like how any WiMax user can roam to any WiMax network, or how "it's easier to disallow services on LTE than it is on Wimax"), so I take a lot of things that don't have a basis in the underlying technology with a grain of salt.

But in any case it'll be a moot point as every carrier transitions to LTE, Sprint included.

As I've been saying all along, it's the buildout of the network that is the problem, not the technology. 2.5GHz is not a weakness of WiMAX, it's a weakness of the buildout. WiMAX could be run on lower frequencies as well for better building penetration and less interference.

Upvote 0
Do you work in a tent? I could not connect to Sprints Wimax network unless I was not moving and there were no clouds in the sky. Even then I get 5x the speed on Verizons Lte then I did Wimax.

I work in a Sprint store as a technician actually. No there is nothing here that boosts signal, and I have 2 bars on my 4G right now. Usually I connect to WiFi here though for battery life.

Upvote 0
If your not interested in downloading the app you can get an idea of where 4g is being detected by going to sensorly.com/Map/4G/USA/Sprint/wimax-sp I did find that just beacuse it works for some dosent mean it will work for all. I have had a cell close to me but never been ale to connect.

I wonder what's more accurate....

The coverage map, or sensorly? :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones