• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official] AF Member Nexus 6P Review Thread

So I've had my 32GB N6P for a few days now and seeing as nobody else has penned any thoughts, here are mine!

Unboxing: I liked the box, it's different, nicely packaged and the subscription to Google music was a nice touch. I was confused about the £50 Play credit but I believe that a code will be sent by email. Powered up the phone, plenty of juice out of the box which is always nice to have. Setting up the fingerprint scanner was painless and I synced my Nexus 6 to transfer apps and settings etc. Overall a pretty painless experience.

The phone itself: Initially I was a bit underwhelmed with the 'Premium' stuff. It didn't feel particularly special for the first day or so. The graphite finish is beautiful, lighter in tone than I expected and catches the light well, it has a shimmery quality which I like. Coming from a Nexus 6 I immediately noticed the smaller size, weight loss and in particular the thinness. As I have got used to the phone it does have a quality feel to it, it feel solid, sturdy, the fit and finish is first class. It feels, (and I hate to say it), Apple. The reduction in width definitely makes it easier to use one handed but I was happy with the N6 with sizing anyway, the bigger the better. The camera 'bulge' on the back isn't as exaggerated as it looks in photos, it's definitely not offensive and in graphite it pretty much blends in with the rest of the phone. The power button is nicely damped and the texture makes it easy to differentiate from the volume keys. The speakers now being flush is a good touch also.

Imprint: Easy to set up, only stored a couple of prints at the moment. It is so rapid and accurate that I rarely have to reposition my finger, taking it out of my pocket and unlocking the device at the same time is now a natural movement. I can't imagine not having this feature on a phone again. Yes there is merit in having a front facing sensor when the device is on a table etc but it's not a deal breaker for me. Good work Huawei.

Screen: Bright, colourful and I don't find it overly saturated, not compared to the N6 anyway. It's bright in daylight and seems to dim much lower than the N6 which is useful for bed time use. I usually have the brightness pretty low anyway so I haven't got any concerns about burn in at this point, certainly no hint of it at the moment. The new aspect ration is great for watching films and qHD content on Youtube looks absolutely superb.

Camera: This is one area which I haven't had much chance to play with. I tried some 240fps video, it was in poor light and the footage wasn't fantastic but this is something I will have some fun with and I'm pleased it's an option.

Battery: As I stated before I usually have the brightness down low and with moderate use I'm returning home from work after 11 hours with 60-70% charge remaining. This is from web browsing, phone calls, and messaging. I'm not a heavy heavy user, rarely watching videos lasting more than a couple of minutes and I don't play/stream music or game regularly. I have exceeded 24 hours on a single charge and doze definitely works as intended, overnight drain is minimal. The pro reviews have stated battery life is a bit iffy, it might be for me but I'm very happy at the moment. Fast charging.

USB C: No complaints here, easy to plug in, I keep forgetting it doesn't matter what way the cable is attached but I appreciate the simplicity. The adaptor cable supplied in the box is welcome but I haven't had any cause to use it yet. It will be a bother for some people in the short term but I'm embracing the future!

Final thoughts: Very pleased so far, while it took a while to get a feel for the phone it's living up to and exceeding expectation for far. I haven't commented on Marshmallow as it has been discussed in depth elsewhere but this is the best Nexus yet, slick and premium. Just what we were promised.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0
My only qualm thus far is the placement of the volume buttons. When I go to hook it in my phone holder in my car, the volume buttons are right where the clamps go around the phone. Other than that I am very pleased with it. Battery life seems a lot better than my previous phone (LG G3). The real test will be at work. The G3 on it's best days would be at 60% after 8 hrs, most of which were in my pocket. Plus I just ditched Verizon and am on the Google Fi network. I hope there is a huge difference.

Upvote 0
I'll try to stick with the same formatting @Greenplastik used.

Unboxing: I've never really been real big on the whole unboxing experience, but the set was well put together. Whats more important for me is what comes with it. In this case you get the phone, setup manual, SIM tool, a USB-C to USB-C cable, USB-C charger, and (TINY!!!) USB-A to USB-C Cable. The A to C cable must be meant for connecting to the PC, as its far too short for much else. I'd recommend people buy some more USB C charger now, or at least the USB A to C cables to replace the ones in your current charger.

Hardware - The phone is premium. I love the aluminum finish and the screen is amazing, as we could have expected with the newest generation panel from samsung. My absolute favorite part of the phone so far is the fingerprint unlocking. I wasn't sure I'd be big on it when I had it but now its so convenient I actually use a lockscreen PIN/pattern, which I usually went without before. Pull it out of your pocket, place your finger where it would normally be anyway, and the screen wakes up, already unlocked and on your homescreen. Coming from the Nexus 6 I appreciate the dual front facing speakers. They are loud and sound is clear even when up all the way. One thing I also noticed right away is the nexus 6P's vibration motor is much better than that on the nexus 6. Its not as loose.

My one complaint is the bezels are a little large. Making the phone long. I'll get used to it though. The narrowness of the 6P is much easier to hold one handed than the nexus 6.

Camera- This has lived up to the hype for me so far. Photos are crisp, clear, and the HDR mode takes shots MUCH faster than on the Nexus 6

IMG_20151101_132444.jpg
IMG_20151030_113034.jpg
IMG_20151029_140128.jpg

Battery Life:
I'm an Ingress player, so battery life on any phone doesn't last long for me. With that said, Doze mode does wonders. Standby battery drain is essentially nothing when that is on.

Not much else to say, I love the device so far! Had it for about 4 days now.

Reactions: Zmeg22
Upvote 0
Ugh can't wait. I have the 128gb ordered and it's still in pending from Google while all accessories have been here for weeks and my friendd have gotten their 64gbs already.

Has anyone tried to use one of those wireless SanDisk connect USB drives with one? I want to get one to drop tv shoes and movies for commute onto so I can stream.

I've seen the phone in person though and it does scream.

Can anyone speak to the multitasking? My biggest gripe with my Note 4 and the 3 before it was that I could open a Web page, open a newsreader like Feedly and then Gmail and when I tried to switch back and forth between them it would always refresh the app... Very frustrating as I'm usually jumping from 4-5 apps often.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Can anyone speak to the multitasking? My biggest gripe with my Note 4 and the 3 before it was that I could open a Web page, open a newsreader like Feedly and then Gmail and when I tried to switch back and forth between them it would always refresh the app... Very frustrating as I'm usually jumping from 4-5 apps often.

I haven't noticed that with either the nexus 6 or 6P. In fact, its quite the opposite. I'll go into the google play app or chrome from recents and find its still on a page I was looking at days ago ;)

Upvote 0
The more I use it, the more I like it!

Unboxing- sad, but I was annoyed that there was a slight dent in the side. But, nice box, glad it came with extra cable, surprised no headphones?
Love the feel of the phone, but as the back is shiny and therefore slippy, got a clear soft case straightaway, which is now grippy but you can see the Nexus name.
The setting up was easy and quick, and the fingerprint way is the future yeah?! So easy, so right. Have my screen on full brightness all the time, and can get full days use no probs. Watching HD vids is stunning, esp with the great sound.
Love the camera, am able to take some great pictures for sure, even in low light. Flash is superb.
On wifi is super fast, and even on 4G still very fast.
Multitasking is cool, no longer need to press and hold like on the Note 3, just press the button and there they are, all easy to scroll through to where you left them. Awesome!
I like the fast usb 3 charging, but would happily go back to usb2 so I could use all my old chargers- I have 3 at home, one in the car, one at work, and I can use my work Nokia Lumina on them all as well- wasn't that the point?! But this is my only gripe.
I love it. But I know its hiding stuff from me, things I may never find. So ill probably only ever use 40% of its capacity. But that's cool, cos its fricking awesome!

Upvote 0
Got my 128 Aluminum yesterday. Haven't had enough time with it yet but one thing definitely annoys me - button placement. I am constantly hitting the power and volume buttons. They are too far down on the side of the device. I wish they'd take a page from Apple and place them higher up, and place one on each side of the phone.

Upvote 0
Had my 64gb aluminum for a few days now.

Unboxing: who the hell cares about the box, it's garbage.

Hardware: has a pretty cool look to it and surprisingly light. The spreadsheets are awesome, very loud and balanced. The buttons are reachable. Surprisingly it's easy to handle despite its size.

Camera: breathtaking

Battery life: too early to tell but it seems legit so far. Getting a full day out of a charge with moderate use.

Performance: surprisingly impressive. Wicked fast. Been using the hot spot to connect with Xbox live and over pulled host a bunch.

First phone I haven't felt NEEDED root. Having said that I will be rooting.

Attachments

• 14476890624011850454130.jpg
    14476890624011850454130.jpg
    986.4 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0
I ordered the N6P on Wednesday night when I saw that it was being offered for a $50 discount (thanks again for the heads-up, @codesplice! :)).

Merry early Christmas to me!

The device arrived Friday evening and I've been transferring stuff to it and setting things up since then.

- the screen/display is amazing!
- typing on this over my N5 is much easier for me
- went to bed last night with a 100% charge, woke-up 8-hours later and it was only down to 98% :cool:
- right now, it's been 20 hours since the last charge & its only down to 91% (granted it was very lightly used today)

Still getting to know it and discover its features, but I'm very happy with my choice / purchase.

:)

Note / word of caution: if you ordered the folio case for this device from Google, be warned that it's very, very! difficult to remove the phone from the case. It literally took me 30 minutes to figure out how to do it without damaging the case or the phone. I needed to remove the device from the case to put in my new micro SIM.

edit: merged my post into here :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones