• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OFFICIAL: All things Cupcake Thread

So...not to be a noob or anything but what is cupcake supposed to do? I've only had my G1 for about a month and am still learning about it.

Straight from the Android's mouth:
cupcake is still very much a work in progress. It is a development branch, not a release.
Source: "cupcake" development branch ?(Android Open Source Project)?

So essentially there is a Cupcake Development Branch. There is no "cupcake update" but the CDB is working on a bunch of highly anticipated features (like onscreen keyboard, stereo bluetooth) and they will roll them out as they become available. It's confusing because so many, even bloggers, refuse to make that distinction.

Yes, the features are being worked on.

Yes, they will be released in future updates.

NO, there is no one, singular, all-encompassing "Cupcake Update".

If you got RC33 you already got one CDB Feature, the ability to save MMS attachments.

Upvote 0
Straight from the Android's mouth:
Source: "cupcake" development branch ?(Android Open Source Project)?

So essentially there is a Cupcake Development Branch. There is no "cupcake update" but the CDB is working on a bunch of highly anticipated features (like onscreen keyboard, stereo bluetooth) and they will roll them out as they become available. It's confusing because so many, even bloggers, refuse to make that distinction.

Yes, the features are being worked on.

Yes, they will be released in future updates.

NO, there is no one, singular, all-encompassing "Cupcake Update".

If you got RC33 you already got one CDB Feature, the ability to save MMS attachments.

@punk - when you think of a tree, does the cupcake branch mean that it is a place where things branch off, instead of say a ServicePack in Windows where everyone should get this "update". I am not sure how the lingo is used.

In other Linux things like Ubuntu there is a media server branch, which is for users who want to setup a media server with their box instead of use it like a desktop. Does this make any sense?

Upvote 0
I guess the word "Branch" is throwing me. The more I read, it seems Android may have other uses so maybe the Cupcake Branch is for mobiles while other future branches would be for netbooks, etc.

If we even try to base this on Google's past performance with G1 ... It surely means we know only after it happens and then the mud and complaints will fly as "why this or why that ?" ... just for US, just for UK, Just for Spain ..etc ... they (google) seems answerable or not responding to any of us in the user world and are marching to their own drum ...!!

Upvote 0
If we even try to base this on Google's past performance with G1 ... It surely means we know only after it happens and then the mud and complaints will fly as "why this or why that ?" ... just for US, just for UK, Just for Spain ..etc ... they (google) seems answerable or not responding to any of us in the user world and are marching to their own drum ...!!

Well while I agree with you, most software companies vs. Open Source projects don't disclose their full roadmap and timeline.

What I was actually referring to though was their use of the word "branch" in conjunction with cubcake. (sp on purpose)

Upvote 0
I guess the word "Branch" is throwing me. The more I read, it seems Android may have other uses so maybe the Cupcake Branch is for mobiles while other future branches would be for netbooks, etc.

In software development, a branch is (conceptually) a copy of the existing code base. Often developers create a branch so they can add new features (to a development branch) without losing the ability to release bug fixes (which would be made on the release branch).

The changes in the development branch can be merged to the release branch in the form of patches. When the changes in the release branch are ready, a release is cut.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branching_(software)

Upvote 0
In software development, a branch is (conceptually) a copy of the existing code base. Often developers create a branch so they can add new features (to a development branch) without losing the ability to release bug fixes (which would be made on the release branch).

The changes in the development branch can be merged to the release branch in the form of patches. When the changes in the release branch are ready, a release is cut.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branching_(software)

That is how I understood it, thank you for the reinforcement. Maybe the loose way it was being discussed threw me at first.

Upvote 0
I'll start off, love the new keyboard, widgets, camera is better, contacts options much improved, gps seem to be more accurate and faster....
the bad thing i noticed was it turns off wifi when the screen goes off or "sleep",
so even at home i have to keep re-establishing the wifi. another thing it takes longer to charge... why is that? i am not getting a longer battery life that is significant. screen transitions seem to take longer too, actually everything seems to take longer. there are others but these seem to bother me the most. anyone else have complaints?

by the way this is the manual update, not the ota, shouldn't be a difference

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones