• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Android 2.2 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless I've missed something there hasn't been any official date announced yet. However Google IO is on the 19th May, and it is widely assumed Android 2.2 will be announced then. How long it'll take HTC to pull their shit together and release an update for us is anyones guess.

Agree, I think the smart money is that 2.2 will be announced on the 19th/20th of May. What I don't understand is why people are confident this will come to the desire quickly. I hope it does but the Hero experience doesn't fill me with confidence. The N1 clan will surely be rubbing their hands together.

Upvote 0
Actually, I think the best hope for the desire to get 2.2 quickly would be by taking an N1 port of 2.2. The downside is that you would lose sense and all

Agree^^

Though if 2.2 gives the performance boosts on the Desire, apps2sd, flash 10.1, tethering, divx support, 720p video.... and whatever else gets in, even though i love sense, it's going bye bye for an N1 2.2 port.

Upvote 0
Well I read somewhere earlier that a new Yoghurt statue has been spotted at Google HQ and these usually turn up before a new release and indicates it arriving next week (which obviously ties in with the 19th date too)

Hopefully someone at Modaco/XDA with add Sense to the 2.2 ROM as they have done for Nexus. I really want these new features especially Flash but I like Sense.

Upvote 0
I think you have to have the original software installed in order to get the OTA update.

In other news, Ryan Stewart (the guy who made the Flash/Nexus One video on the previous page) said on his blog that there will be a public version of Flash 10.1 made available at Google's I/O.

Now what he means by public, I don't know. He might just mean that it will be made available to developers.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why some people would say that 2.2 will roll out very quickly from HTC for the Desire.

The HTC Eris (Verizon) JUST got its 2.1 last week (Droid Eris 2.1 Update Began Rolling Out Yesterday | Android Phone Fans)

Th HTC Hero (Sprint) will get its 2.1 soon (May 21 Now Being Heralded For Sprint’s Hero 2.1 Update | Android Phone Fans)

My Touch 3G will get its 2.1 soon (MyTouch 3G To Get An Upgrade To Android 2.1 | Android Phone Fans)

If you noticed the trend...it's taking HTC about 4 months to roll out the updates to the US...I believe it's even slower to other part of the world (Canada/Europe)

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why some people would say that 2.2 will roll out very quickly from HTC for the Desire.

[snip]

I've heard that hardware issues were the main stumbling block in upgrading the older handsets. This shouldn't be a problem with the Desire.

And also, since HTC are currently making the flagship Android devices, I would hope Google have had the good sense to keep them in the loop and have passed on early builds of FroYo over the last few months.

I'm taking the optimistic view :)

Upvote 0
Agree, I think the smart money is that 2.2 will be announced on the 19th/20th of May. What I don't understand is why people are confident this will come to the desire quickly. I hope it does but the Hero experience doesn't fill me with confidence. The N1 clan will surely be rubbing their hands together.

The issue with the Hero IMO, is that its a 1.6 Android system. Plus the specifications of the Hero are lower than that of the Desire, hence whi it might be a little more difficult putting on a full version update. To go from 1.6 -> 2.1 is quite a jump, and they may have stability/performance issues with the release hence why its taking so long to sort out.

However the 2.2 is a minor update with improvements and bug fixes, so in theory it should be released quickly. Plus the Desire is a current phone which they will want to continue to keep customers happy.

Upvote 0
HTC has a poor record on updates, and while I accept there will probably be issues - I am not convinced they're so hard to overcome that it is taking such a long time to roll out the upgrade.

The Magic was promised upgrades (even the Sense UI) but that didn't happen - or at least not that I am aware of. The Hero was a flagship product (won loads of awards - even ours) but hasn't had the update. Ditto the Tattoo. I'm sure there are others (and we could also look to their WinMo models too if we want?).

History helps back the theory that HTC may not be very fast to update the current models, or even do so at all.

Time will tell - but I get this nagging feeling that HTC is doing this so you will be compelled to upgrade to the next device (another one being announced tomorrow, although that's 2.1 too).

HTC seems happy to blame the lack of upgrades (sorry, delay of upgrades) on the integration of Sense, but you can be 100% assured that when 2.2 is released they'll have a new device out that will run it and use Sense UI.

It isn't just HTC though. Sony Ericsson is also dragging its heels. Despite the fact that when you begin to understand the way the OS is built, neither Sense nor things like TimeScape are so 'deeply integrated' that they can't be relatively easily to port over. What's more Sense UI, lovely as it is to look at, isn't so unique that you can't do most of the same things with native 2.1 and a few third-party apps (some you might pay for, but the cost is minimal).

Upvote 0
HTC has a poor record on updates, and while I accept there will probably be issues - I am not convinced they're so hard to overcome that it is taking such a long time to roll out the upgrade.

The Magic was promised upgrades (even the Sense UI) but that didn't happen - or at least not that I am aware of. The Hero was a flagship product (won loads of awards - even ours) but hasn't had the update. Ditto the Tattoo. I'm sure there are others (and we could also look to their WinMo models too if we want?).

History helps back the theory that HTC may not be very fast to update the current models, or even do so at all.

Time will tell - but I get this nagging feeling that HTC is doing this so you will be compelled to upgrade to the next device (another one being announced tomorrow, although that's 2.1 too).

HTC seems happy to blame the lack of upgrades (sorry, delay of upgrades) on the integration of Sense, but you can be 100% assured that when 2.2 is released they'll have a new device out that will run it and use Sense UI.

It isn't just HTC though. Sony Ericsson is also dragging its heels. Despite the fact that when you begin to understand the way the OS is built, neither Sense nor things like TimeScape are so 'deeply integrated' that they can't be relatively easily to port over. What's more Sense UI, lovely as it is to look at, isn't so unique that you can't do most of the same things with native 2.1 and a few third-party apps (some you might pay for, but the cost is minimal).

The horror stories I've heard with HTC upgrading the Canadian Dream/Magic just gave me unwated terror. I didn't want to be like those unlucky owners (Dream stuck at 1.5). So unless I start seeing some different new trend with them, I refuse to get an HTC (Sense) phone.

Well if getting fast updates is high up on your list, there's the Nexus One; which is twin to the Desire. The only difference is that it is running the vanilla Android OS (i.e. no Sense)

Upvote 0
HTC has said a lot of things. I follow them on Twitter and they've promised upgrades are coming for ages.

Until they actually DO arrive, I have very good reason to be cynical! All it takes is for them to upgrade the devices they say they will and someone can say 'Hah - told you so!' to me.

I'm waiting...

Yeah as much as i love their handsets - I have little trust when it comes to them updating software

Upvote 0
Hope you don't mind the noob question: I got my Desire at the weekend and was going to root it tomorrow and install Apps2SD. When HTC release their build of 2.2 with official Apps2SD will I be able to install the update manually straight away myself or will I have to flash my phone back to the stock T-Mobile ROM and wait for T-Mob to release it OTA?

Should I be patient and just wait a couple of weeks?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones