1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Official android 2.2 (froyo) release for orange san francisco.General

1. OSF_noob

OSF_noob New Member

An official Froyo update would be awesome - I loaded a 2.2 ROM onto my San Fran, and it caused no end of screen freeze issues, so restored back to the Orange stock ROM.

One thing though - there's no "check for system software updates" option in the menus of my San Fran (like there is on other Orange Android handsets), so how do you presume you'd receive any update? Download a .zip on the PC and drop it onto the handset?
  2. EazyDuz

EazyDuz Active Member

3. Ilovetech

Ilovetech Well-Known Member

I agree I would love an official one. It is just when will an official update come out. Some apps are loosing functionality for 2.2 as well as 2.1
  4. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Well-Known Member

There is an official Swedish Froyo available
  5. Ilovetech

That sounds good, as it would all be fully functional, have any available links for more information? :)
  6. ElasticNinja

it requires a flashing method that changes the internal phone layout to what the devs call "Generation 2"
    however one dev has made it work on Gen 1 devices

If Orange do release an update, I'd presume it'd be Gen 2
  7. Ilovetech

Okay thanks for the information! At the moment do you think it is likely an update will become available? :) And would it be worth waiting for the update.
  8. ElasticNinja

I would not be surprised - the Blade is selling like hot cakes for Orange
    If they are though they likely would drop some hints - which has yet to happen
    I think you know my opinion on this :D
    Ilovetech likes this.
  9. Ilovetech

Okay thanks for the reply, Orange are doing well with the popular product. I am just really hoping for 2.2, and you can never tell with customer services. :)
  10. roland69uk

roland69uk New Member

I emailed orange last week regarding the 2.2 upgrade, i had a phonecall back a couple of days ago, and to cut a long story short, they have 2.2 and they are in the process of loading their bloatware onto it, it will be availible soonish, i aint gonna hold my breath on this one though
    Ilovetech likes this.
  11. Ilovetech

Thank you very much for the update. Well fingers crossed!
  12. Otherguyx

Otherguyx Well-Known Member

man i want this so bad, mainly because i dont want to root it as i will loose myw arranty, and also i want to save the stupid apps to the god damn sd card. i have 8 gb sd card and there is nothing inside... this is stupid!

uhhhgg i realllly want to save apps to sd card. If i can save apps to my 8gb sd card then i can get LOOADDSS of apps!
  13. Ilovetech

I agree, this would be a massive step forward for the Orange San Francisco, I am definitely hoping for the update. Your SD card issue is the same with me, this would be great for orange.
  14. ElasticNinja

I wonder how theyd roll it out, I mean, I'd presume itll be Gen2
  15. Otherguyx

Otherguyx Well-Known Member

just wondering, what is the difference between gen 1 and gen 2 orange san fran. i bought my san fran like 2-3 days ago and mines gen 1. Is that bad?
  16. ElasticNinja

Gen2 has a different partition layout, Radio etc
    It requires a change of kernel base address and new radio libs

Comviq in Sweden only upgrade phones when repairing them

Its easy to covert, not very easy tho and it requires more carefulleness than say, flashing a ROM
  17. Boff Bagwell

Boff Bagwell New Member

Hi there does any one Know if you can Run android 2.2 on a contract Sanfran without any problems ??
  18. ElasticNinja

Of course you can!
  19. BurnCK

BurnCK Well-Known Member

Swedish Spring 2.2 ROM is excellent (based on official Swedish 2.2 ROM for San Fran).
    I've got a feeling that you'll be waiting quite a while for an official 2.2 update from Orange...and with all the bloatware crap they put on it, you may be disappointed when it does arrive.
  20. Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 Well-Known Member

I installed the ZTE version of Froyo, which I found here

I also replaced the Boot Animation, so there is nothing left to show it is the Chinese ROM. The ROM is actually in English - only the logo on the original Boot Animation had any Chinese on it.

This is working very well - a lot more stable than the previous ROM I used (which was 2.1). I have the Froyo version of the Market of course and I can move Apps to my SD.

The only minor issue I have found - which seems to have started since I installed App2SD, not from the time I installed the ROM - is that some of the Widgets are not available to add to the Home screen. They seem to be still installed and I can add the Icon to the Home screen, but the Widget is not in the list. Some of the Widgets were already on the Home screen and these have disappeared, with no option to put them back.

This does not seem to be affected by whether the relevant app is on the Internal Memory or the SD.

Anyone else seen this please? Is there a fix?

Incidentally, my OSF is a Gen1. There is no sign of any remaining Orange branding. One minor issue is that I have lost the 'YourOrange' app which helped advise on the credit I have left (Orange PAYG), but this is trivial compared with the loss of the rest of the Orange bloatware and the use of a clean and stable 2.2 ROM.
  21. ElasticNinja

Android requires Widgets being in internal memory

If you are running low on space you may want to look at repartitioning your phones internal memory :)
  22. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Your Orange can be installed as a standalone app via the market, along with the Orange Wednesday one.
  23. Ilovetech

24. ElasticNinja

You should really upgrade. Oranges froyo will be laden with crap tbh, and CM7 is awesome
  25. Ilovetech

I have heard very good things about CM7, but some people say it can be slow on the blade. Does it offer, FM radio, and all the google aps? :)