• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[OFFICIAL] Are you getting The One? (price/carrier/color discussion)

Will you be getting this phone

• Yes!

Votes: 45 70.3%
  • No!

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I don't know yet!

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • I prefer the Samsung Galaxy s4

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I heard the price would be about $700-$775 when it comes out, but i don't know if thats true. What do you guys think the price will be? Also will they have a new line of devices? Do you think they will build off of this phone or not. Also, it seems like this is one of the, if not the first phone of the new Android generation/Wave of phones. What do you think will improve as this generation goes on.

I want to hear what you guys think.

Upvote 0
1) I heard the price would be about $700-$775 when it comes out, but i don't know if thats true. What do you guys think the price will be? 2) Also will they have a new line of devices? Do you think they will build off of this phone or not. 3) Also, it seems like this is one of the, if not the first phone of the new Android generation/Wave of phones. What do you think will improve as this generation goes on.

I want to hear what you guys think.

(I added the numbers in the quote to make it easier to understand MY answers (subject to correction :eek:)

1) Your price of $700-775 (unsubsidized) falls in line with what has been officially and unofficially speculated.

2) Again, pure speculation has it that at most, HTC will offer the One, and maybe a mid- and entry-level device this year. Word has it that HTC is going to concentrate on their flagship to ensure the product remains upper tier.

3) This is the first major release of the calendar year to my knowledge. Personally, I think we're about to hit a plateau of sorts as far as performance and technology (Much like the PC market). There will be improvements, sure, but nothing as great as in the past, outside improvements in reliability.

Those are strictly my view, opinions, etc, from what I've seen, read, heard, etc. I could be wrong, and if you listen to my wife, I probably am! :p

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Well March is here and my contact at at&t hasn't heard anything as of yet, I'm really hoping they push this out in the next week or so...

My 2 cents is that HTC and at&t better get they're game faces on and release this thing already...And I say that because the Samsung event is coming up very very quickly and if the One gets released around the same time I'm afraid it will deff get overshadowed. Samsung just has too much money to spend on marketing.

Upvote 0
I've suggested that myself, it's more logical.

Unless HTC just says no, we've had enough of variants (they have said that), but this time stick to that position.

I'd suppose that any contract commitments by Verizon have to be considered - I doubt seriously they'd offer the two side by side.

The Butterfly/DLX/DNA was the mid-cycle step up from the One X. Verizon seems to go with mid-cycle step ups, look at the Thunderbolt, etc etc.

In which case, the One wouldn't appear until later this year in any case.

Upvote 0
I'm getting it most likely. I want to pre order it, but I don't know how that works. Will I need to unlock it or what. Also, HTC is offering some $100 cash back program. Do any of you have more info on how that works, and what exactly needs to be done? :)

Also, I truly hope the phone will never be on Verizon. Does anyone know what's going on with that?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Upvote 0
Verizon is the reason that the gs3(US) wasn't quad-core. I just feel like somehow if this phone is on Verizon it will be looked at differently, and it might end up backfiring on HTC. The thing is that so many people have Verizon, so it's very likely to be on there (or you can just get it unlocked), so don't worry.

Upvote 0
Verizon is the reason that the gs3(US) wasn't quad-core. I just feel like somehow if this phone is on Verizon it will be looked at differently, and it might end up backfiring on HTC. The thing is that so many people have Verizon, so it's very likely to be on there (or you can just get it unlocked), so don't worry.

It's absolutely untrue that Verizon was the reason that the SGS3 was a dual core in the US - on all US carriers.

The US SGS3 phones used the Qualcomm S4 processor because its built in world modem made connecting with LTE and any of our other radio standards possible.

Furthermore, you make it sound like that was a bad thing.

The faster dual cores in the S4 were functionally equivalent to the slower Samsung quad core, it saved power without requiring separate modem chips, and it added reliability by reducing the part count.

There was nothing bad about it and Verizon had zero to do with that.

Please stop reading whatever blog you've been reading, for your sake.

Upvote 0
I got the info from one of the Premium members on the site. I didn't realize that to be a premium member you just have to pay. I thought you had to earn it like for Moderators and such. At first I didn't believe that, but I thought he was high up, so I trusted his source. But thanks for clearing that up for me!!!
It's absolutely untrue that Verizon was the reason that the SGS3 was a dual core in the US - on all US carriers.

The US SGS3 phones used the Qualcomm S4 processor because its built in world modem made connecting with LTE and any of our other radio standards possible.

Furthermore, you make it sound like that was a bad thing.

The faster dual cores in the S4 were functionally equivalent to the slower Samsung quad core, it saved power without requiring separate modem chips, and it added reliability by reducing the part count.

There was nothing bad about it and Verizon had zero to do with that.

Please stop reading whatever blog you've been reading, for your sake.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones