• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official AT&T Q&A Thread

MarcMaiden

Android Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2010
Bay Area, ca
If you have any questions about AT&T services whether it be about plans, 4g, early upgrades, or anything AT&T related, this is where you can ask them. As an AT&T employee, I'll do my best to answer them, and if I do not know, I'll find the answer for you.

Lets keep this thread clean and strictly for those who have questions and need answers for AT&T products.

Note: Before posting, use the search thread button at the top right of this thread box to see if someone has asked your question already

Here are some FAQ:
Q: Can I keep my unlimited data plan?
A: As long as you have it now, no one can take it away from you. Even if you move from Iphone to Blackberry to Android and back to Iphone again, you can always keep it!

Q. How can I keep my Unlimited Data plan?
A: Here is what you can tell an AT&T employee or third party retailer in different scenarios:

scenario 1:
I want to upgrade another line on my account, but want move the phone and keep the unlimited data on my current line:

Tell them to upgrade the line of your choice. Then tell them to swap that phone onto the line you want it on, and tell them to keep the unlimited data. Tell them to "change equipment" on the line you just upgraded and tell them to remove the data plan (so you dont get charged for an extra data plan you do not need).

Scenario 2:
I want to simply upgrade my line, which has unlimited data already:

Tell them to keep the unlimited data. If they tell you that you can't, Ask for a supervisor and tell them MarcMaiden will come and haunt you in your dreams if they dont let you keep your unlimited data.

Q: What is an early upgrade and how does it work?
A: If you use the term early upgrade, that actually means you want to upgrade to an "Iphone strictly" The term you are looking for is "Exception upgrade." (in AT&T lingo). As long as you are 6 months away from your upgrade, AT&T will allow you to do an exception upgrade which means instead of paying the full retail cost for the phone, you will pay the upgrade cost + $200. For example, you want to get the HTC Inspire, and you want to do an exception upgrade, the phone will be $100 (upgrade price) +$200 (for the exception upgrade). NOTE: This WILL extend your contract for 2 more years.

AT&T Wireless customer care: 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from the cell phone)
make sure that as soon as it give you menu options, just hit "0" twice to take you straight to an operator. It's much faster that way.

AT&T Wireline customer care: 1-800-288-2020 (Note they are only open M-F 9-5)

Reactions: SS2006
Hey Marc, I have a question about how "early upgrade" works, or if it's just not available.

Does AT&T pro-rate the upgrade? i.e., if the outright price of a device is $600 and the 2 years contract extension price is $200 ($400 difference), do they offer, for example, the phone for $400 if you're 12 months into your 2 year contract?

...or is it a yes/no thing, where the only option is an outright purchase for full price (and then you get your regularly-scheduled-upgrade when the normal time rolls around).

FWIW, at the end of February '11, I'll be ~7 months into my upgrade/2-years (used an upgrade on the Captivate back in July '10.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hey Marc, I have a question about how "early upgrade" works, or if it's just not available.

Does AT&T pro-rate the upgrade? i.e., if the outright price of a device is $600 and the 2 years contract extension price is $200 ($400 difference), do they offer, for example, the phone for $400 if you're 12 months into your 2 year contract?

...or is it a yes/no thing, where the only option is an outright purchase for full price (and then you get your regularly-scheduled-upgrade when the normal time rolls around).

FWIW, at the end of February '11, I'll be ~7 months into my upgrade/2-years (used an upgrade on the Captivate back in July '10.

Thanks!

its more of a yes/no thing. Because you are 7 months in (like most people who bought the captivate ;) ) you will have the ability to get the atrix at the early upgrade price which is the normal upgrade price +200. So if the phone was $150 (like im hoping) you will have to pay $350 to upgrade.

even though its a yes/no thing, they still want a reason for you to upgrade early, just say your phone was lost or stolen, or just doesnt work.

Reactions: DT
Upvote 0
Can you get an early upgrade through Best Buy or does it have to be through an AT&T store?

FWIW, I'm on an older unlimited plan, and have been grandfathered in for a few upgrades. I've always found not going through AT&T makes that more complex or even impossible - the non-Corporate stores always seem to have a specific number of plan options (none of which seem to be carrying over a plan "no longer available").

Upvote 0
I have a question but it's about upgrading. My contract is up in April. Is that $200 fee going to apply to me as well? I haven't upgraded my phone since I bought it nearly 2 years ago. If it does, I'm fine with waiting until April. I've waited this long to upgrade...what's a few more months?

Also, is the Atrix a true 4G phone? I keep reading conflicting things. Plus, my current phone is the iPhone 3G. I have a lot to learn about Android and wasn't serious about switching to Android until the Atrix.

Upvote 0
I have a question but it's about upgrading. My contract is up in April. Is that $200 fee going to apply to me as well? I haven't upgraded my phone since I bought it nearly 2 years ago. If it does, I'm fine with waiting until April. I've waiting this long to upgrade...what's a few more months?

Also, the Atrix a true 4G phone? I keep reading conflicting things. Plus, my current phone is the iPhone 3G. I have a lot to learn about Android and wasn't serious about switching to Android until the Atrix.

Well most of the time you can upgradea couple months before your contact expires . Especially because gou have an iphone 3g

The atrix is a 4g phone that uses hspa+ and not lte so that is sonething to think about

Upvote 0
I have a question but it's about upgrading. My contract is up in April. Is that $200 fee going to apply to me as well? I haven't upgraded my phone since I bought it nearly 2 years ago. If it does, I'm fine with waiting until April. I've waiting this long to upgrade...what's a few more months?

Also, the Atrix a true 4G phone? I keep reading conflicting things. Plus, my current phone is the iPhone 3G. I have a lot to learn about Android and wasn't serious about switching to Android until the Atrix.

I think At&t lets you upgrade before the two years is up. I called them about my contract status and they told I'm already clear to upgrade. I could have sworn it will be two year this February.

My suggestions is to just call them and ask. They've always been pleasant when I talked to them on the phone.

1-800-331-0500 or 611 from your wireless phone

Upvote 0
To MarcMaiden...

here is my situation, as everyone's is different...

My account says I am eligible for upgrade come May 29, 2011. Contract expires December 28, 2011.

I am currently using an iPhone 3GS and have been since I upgraded to it and renewed my contract for 2 years on December 29, 2009.

My question is, do you think it will be possible to upgrade early when the HTC Inspire 4G comes out? I have zero intentions of leaving AT&T, and I want this phone.

Is this doable? Possible? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
To MarcMaiden...

here is my situation, as everyone's is different...

My account says I am eligible for upgrade come May 29, 2011. Contract expires December 28, 2011.

I am currently using an iPhone 3GS and have been since I upgraded to it and renewed my contract for 2 years on December 29, 2009.

My question is, do you think it will be possible to upgrade early when the HTC Inspire 4G comes out? I have zero intentions of leaving AT&T, and I want this phone.

Is this doable? Possible? Thanks in advance.

Not totally sure. Early upgrade for sure, but full upgrade probably not...They usually let you upgrade 6 months before you contract is up which is why they said may 2011 for you. I know its a dumb rule since you are so close to your upgrade, but at the same time, you are close to your upgrade.

Upvote 0
Not totally sure. Early upgrade for sure, but full upgrade probably not...They usually let you upgrade 6 months before you contract is up which is why they said may 2011 for you. I know its a dumb rule since you are so close to your upgrade, but at the same time, you are close to your upgrade.

HAA HAA!

Contacted AT&T today... spoke with a gentleman is the cancellation department. We spoke for well over 40 minutes.

By the end of it, I had his email address, and the deal that when the phone is released, I am to contact him, and he will get me the phone at a new user/upgrade pricing.

How'd I do that?

I threatened to buy out my super tiny ETF and go to Verizon or Sprint.

:D

Upvote 0
HAA HAA!

Contacted AT&T today... spoke with a gentleman is the cancellation department. We spoke for well over 40 minutes.

By the end of it, I had his email address, and the deal that when the phone is released, I am to contact him, and he will get me the phone at a new user/upgrade pricing.

How'd I do that?

thats how you do it! good job!

Upvote 0
HAA HAA!

How'd I do that?

Ugh! I wish I could do this, but I already used the cancellation excuse to get Unlimited Data on another line of mine that I just got a few months ago :( So I don't think they'll give into what they did for you

Upvote 0
I also have a question about the upgrade thing. Its probably really dumb, but whatever. I bought a HTC Aria about six months ago, and have been wanting a little bit more from my phone. I also dropped it a few weeks ago and shattered the screen (though the phone still works fine). I would have to pay $100 to get a new one, so I decided if I was already going to be spending money, then I might as well try and get a better phone (as long as its not too expensive). I've decided that I will probably be getting the Atrix, unless something better gets announced before its release. Would it be easy for me to do the early upgrade thing if I just bring in broken phone? I think I'd be okay with spending $350, but if anybody has any tips about getting it cheaper if at all possible that would be cool too.

Also I have a few questions about the phone besides the ones that have already been asked. I wonder do you actually need a dock to connect the phone to a TV. If I'm not mistaken it does have an HDMI output, so the dock shouldn't be need to view photos and videos and whatever else on a TV.

Also are people going to have to pay extra for the "4G" network?

Upvote 0
I also have a question about the upgrade thing. Its probably really dumb, but whatever. I bought a HTC Aria about six months ago, and have been wanting a little bit more from my phone. I also dropped it a few weeks ago and shattered the screen (though the phone still works fine). I would have to pay $100 to get a new one, so I decided if I was already going to be spending money, then I might as well try and get a better phone (as long as its not too expensive). I've decided that I will probably be getting the Atrix, unless something better gets announced before its release. Would it be easy for me to do the early upgrade thing if I just bring in broken phone? I think I'd be okay with spending $350, but if anybody has any tips about getting it cheaper if at all possible that would be cool too.

Also I have a few questions about the phone besides the ones that have already been asked. I wonder do you actually need a dock to connect the phone to a TV. If I'm not mistaken it does have an HDMI output, so the dock shouldn't be need to view photos and videos and whatever else on a TV.

Also are people going to have to pay extra for the "4G" network?

Im sure you will be able to early upgrade. AT&T is usually pretty good about early upgrades.

as for your phone questions:

You can connect through HDMI out with out having to use the docks.
And you do not need to pay extra for HSPA+ however nothing is known about LTE/LTE pricing yet.

I believe HSPA+ is a lot more inexpensive to keep/maintain then LTE is. If Verizon starts charging more for LTE, then there is a good chance AT&T will.

Upvote 0
Just signed up just so I can ask a question I haven't see answered...
I've been with AT&T sine the original iPhone, and am currently an iPhone 3GS user who comes up for a full iPhone upgrade on the 20th. If I jumped ship and picked up the Atrix, what would happen to my grandfathered unlimited data plan? Loosing that is most likely a deal breaker.

Upvote 0
Just signed up just so I can ask a question I haven't see answered...
I've been with AT&T sine the original iPhone, and am currently an iPhone 3GS user who comes up for a full iPhone upgrade on the 20th. If I jumped ship and picked up the Atrix, what would happen to my grandfathered unlimited data plan? Loosing that is most likely a deal breaker.

you would keep it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones