• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OFFICIAL : Behold 2 Tips n Tricks thread

dan0zone

Nov 29, 2009
I didn't notice a tips n tricks section or a sticky , so maybe we can start here ,.
Here's my first tip
Go to settings_manage applications>look for device management.apk and clear the data , This app stores 40mb to 48mb of data for some reason . I cleared mine and been checking my information on the phone and its all still there . I don't know what the app does or what info it stores ,but I regained 48mb of internal storage .freshly restored phone with this tip =153mb of storage..
Any more tips or tricks please add them here .....

How to get the HTC Hero Keyboard (Android)

081209-0916-howtogetthe1.png
081209-0916-howtogetthe2.png

If you are tired of the keyboard on the left and want something a little more useable like the keyboard on the right then keep reading.

Note: If you have Astro installed you could do all this from your Android device without the need of a computer or AppInstaller.

Search the Android Market for ‘app install’ and install AppInstaller.
Download this file **LINK REMOVED**
Extract the .apk file from the .zip file
Copy the .apk file to your G1 or myTouch’s microSD card
Go to Settings > Applications and check the box for ‘Unknown Sources’

081209-0916-howtogetthe3.png

Run AppInstaller and click to install HTC_IME.apk

081209-0916-howtogetthe4.png

From your home screen, go to Settings > Locale and Text > and check the box ‘Touch Input’
Bring up the browser or messaging and long press the text input field
Select ‘Touch Input’ from the popup menu.

The new keyboard should now work. Pressing on the gear button will allow you to choose one of the other two keyboards available. For those of you that are used to a 12 Key pad for texting there is a similar keyboard. For 20 key or Shadow enthusiasts there is a very similar keyboard layout called ‘Compact Qwerty’ available as well.

081209-0916-howtogetthe7.png

If you need more control over a specific key, long pressing will bring up additional options as in the image above. Enjoy!

Also, if you would like to calibrate your keyboard go**LINK REMOVED**

Sources: **LINK REMOVED**

MOD EDIT: Linking to illegal software is forbidden on this forum. The HTC keyboard is property of HTC, and redistributing is a violation of copyright law

Upvote 0
Here's my second tip.
Want to get that old panoramic effect when scroll across your home screen ,( Samsung changed it so you can set individual wallpaper per screen ,and in doing so changed the default crop size for wallpapers) .
But anyway , to get the default android wallpaper settings , you have two ways to do this , you can use ( from the market ) NSW player or Wallpaper Set Save ,these two apps will set your wallpaper across your home replacement app , and give you back that panoramic wallpaper look again .
BTW ,,, this will not work on the default touchwiz...

Reactions: ruslking
Upvote 0
I didn't notice a tips n tricks section or a sticky , so maybe we can start here ,.
Here's my first tip
Go to settings_manage applications>look for device management.apk and clear the data , This app stores 40mb to 48mb of data for some reason . I cleared mine and been checking my information on the phone and its all still there . I don't know what the app does or what info it stores ,but I regained 48mb of internal storage .freshly restored phone with this tip =153mb of storage..
Any more tips or tricks please add them here .....

I googled this a little and found this comment from flak0

"Oh 1 last thing it seems I may have found an exploit with the device management.apk. It has the option to run a bootloader/bootstrap test, could this be exploited to install customer recovery? Its just a thought"

Considering the size it is probably a backup of the OS in order to do a recovery. I don't know why they would allow you to clear the data though if it was important. Either way I cleared it and am very happy to have tons of space free.

Also I just rebooted my phone and whatever was in there came back. I wonder what the phone would do if it didn't have enough space to put that content back.

Upvote 0
Hey y'all,

I don't know if anyone else has been experiencing this problem, so I thought I'd post it on this sticky. I've noticed that whenever I plug the 3.5mm jack into my phone, it automatically starts playing music. When I go to stop it by pausing the track, it silences it for a moment, then I hear a faint click or two, and then the music resumes. This happens over and over again, unless I drag down the notifications tray and click on the Media Player icon, and then hit pause. Anyway, it's pretty annoying. It stopped doing all this nonsense once I deleted the Media Player Widget.

That fixed it for me--I just wanted to post this in case anyone else was experiencing something similar,

Murf

Upvote 0
I know some people do not mind the TouchWiz interface. There is a way to keep the TouchWiz and be able to access the default android menu.

1.Go to the AppMarket and download the free AnyCut
2. Run Anycut and press "New Shortcut"
3. Click "Activity"
4. Choose the 1st Settings you find.
5. Go to Home Screen and Voila Shortcut to default Android Settings!!

** I found out about this while trying to figure out how I can force the phone to 3G... which can be done with anycut**

Upvote 0
I know some people do not mind the TouchWiz interface. There is a way to keep the TouchWiz and be able to access the default android menu.

1.Go to the AppMarket and download the free AnyCut
2. Run Anycut and press "New Shortcut"
3. Click "Activity"
4. Choose the 1st Settings you find.
5. Go to Home Screen and Voila Shortcut to default Android Settings!!

** I found out about this while trying to figure out how I can force the phone to 3G... which can be done with anycut**

so this will remove the TouchWiz interface? and what do you mean by Choose the 1st Settings you find?

Upvote 0
so this will remove the TouchWiz interface? and what do you mean by Choose the 1st Settings you find?
It does not remove TouchWiz, it just allows for the user to be able to access the STOCK android Settings menu, since the Touchwiz Settings is totally redesigned and missing many important options that should be available.

Upvote 0
Has anyone gotten the HTC keyboard to work. I tried but i keep getting this error message ... Sorry The application Touch Input (process com.htc.android.htcime) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. Force close

Where should I download the (htc_ime.apk) file from
I installed it and selected touch input but the samsung keyboard stiull comes up, wasn't giver a choice of which one to use. No f/c's though.

Upvote 0
Read , understand and follow instructions fully. And everything posted here will work for you...
That being said , you didn't go to settings ~text&local>and check touch input ,,,or you didn't long press in a empty text field and select touch input that's why.
So, what's your point. I know there is a hack to get the htc_ime to work on the Behold II, does anyone have a link, I'm not asking for apk link I already have that. Unil there is root, a recovery image and a custom rom this phone isn't going any where. Both of my G1's run circles around thhis phone. Got some good features but the touch wiz is a real loser.

Upvote 0
Your arrogance is going to get you nowhere,
There is no hack ,,all it is is to install a cupcake version of HTC IME &the clicker apks , and that's it . If you have the apks ,then what link are you asking for ?
Sorry I got off on the wrong foot, I was using a donut version. I ripped one off of Cyan 4.0.4 and it works. I'm just not used to a phone you can't run custom roms and themes. Do you know if there is a screen shot app that works with the Behold II, all the ones I have are for root. I tried using adb but can't find a driver for the Behold II. Again sorry for appearing arrogant but this phone takes a little getting used to. I am a mod at the A/C and we don't have anything on the Behold II. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones