OFFICIAL CYANAGENMOD 7.2 Thread! (UPDATED 29/05)

1. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

I was using gosms and it was auto backing up once a week on sundays. So I can for now for this test use a 6 day old backup.

CM is a mature development now, so what you telling me after all this time they have no migration procedure for data?

What about call logs, favourite numbers and contacts? all this is critical for me.
  2. PJ147

PJ147 Well-Known Member

Yes that's it exactly. Why are your call logs so important? You can find software which sync a this to a PC if backing up is that important.

Yes its in mature development but not many people require this otherwise it would be in it already. You can request new features on the main site but seeing as the ace won't get cm9 officially it won't be included.
  3. PJ147

PJ147 Well-Known Member

You can also back up whenever you require. Using a google account works far better for contacts too as that's what it is supposed to be used. every time you change phone or ROM it means you don't need to do anything to get your contacts.

Look in the market as there are plenty of back up apps you can try.
  4. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

Well it simportant for 2 reasons.

1 - I need it for my own reasons generally anyway.
    2 - Part of my testing is that on stock rom my large cal log lags like hell when loading so I want to see if CM is improved, cant really test with no call log ;)

Same for my sms messages as well, right now CM feels lightning fast but of course it has no data, so its by no means a meaningful comparison.

I am curious as well if its titanium backup been stupid and if other apps work, then that leaves me dissapointed in titanium a app recommended by many.

Go sms pro restored fine. As far as I know it keeps sms in the same place as stock because I know I was able to access my sms with sock and go sms, so it would seem titanium backup isnt very reliable. However sadly go sms does nothing for restoring contacts or call logs, the restored messages are seperated by contact but the contact name etc. is missing just shows the phone numbers. What I plan to do is restore my old setup. Then grab an app that does the call logs and contacts specifically and I will then try CM again. I dont plan to restore actual system settings as I respect CM has different settings to stock so I am at least prepared to reconfigure the system settings.

Also gosms does load my sms significantly faster than on stock, my biggest sms folder has 2116 messages in it, on stock it took about 3-4 seconds to display, its almost instant on CM.

Also whats interesting is I have one entry in favourites, as if titanium did a very partial restore.
  5. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

Ok I thought CM had a BLN compatible kernel and sd-ext support, seems it hasnt got either?
  6. ayush29k

ayush29k Well-Known Member

You can use MyBakup Root to bakup all contacts, sms, call logs, calender, dictionaries, bookmarks, android settings etc easily. Its very fast and reliable. Got a good scheduling feature also. Been using it for a long time and no complaints yet.

TB works well for contacts, it backs up the entire contacts app data.
    The only problem i ever faced while migrating was when i first installed CM7, its settings are different so needed manual changes. But once its done, you can bakup the settings and restore them on any CM7 rom. Same goes for Stock.

CM devs should provide an inbuilt migration feature, but heck we can find alternatives, can't trouble them for each and every minor difficulty we face.
  7. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

Well for me TB was a no go on the contacts.

I have put the phone back on my backup, just warning to others tho those using odin to go back to stock from CM may get a boot loop like I did, but I was able to go into recovery still and it booted after I wiped the cache and data. Then a CWM restore worked from there to go back to where I was but wow it feels slow now compared to CM.

I tested blackhawk's kernel on CM and that has BLN and the extra governors. But BLN is still a no go as a library is incompatible within CM, I will play with it more tommorow. Also thanks to ayush29k will try the mybackuproot for the system stuff and just use TB for apps.

Wifi was completely hosed for me tho on CM, I seen others had earlier reported wifi issues but they all said was fixed on the nightly so I seemed to be on my own with that issue. My wifi would turn on but didnt connect to anything as it found no networks and also sometimes it triggered force close's. CM has a fair few things nice about it tho and I am liking it enough to either wait for it to be more stable or to try and work around the issues so I can use it soon.
  8. ayush29k

I am using the old unofficial CM7 KANG build, no problems at all. Everything works perfect, including the wifi and BLN. Though the gps was a problem but i fixed that with the stock libs mod by lagloose. I am using it for last 6 months and still i don't feel tempted by all the great roms coming these days. This is just a perfect rom for me. Super performance, full functionality, CM features and a great look,...just perfect!!

I would suggest you go for the unofficial builds like FATs CM7, the official still has many bugs, but those great devs at FAT have found work arounds through almost all the bugs.
  9. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

ok so latest klang CM7 rom?
    do you mind giving me a link to the GPS workaround thanks :) although I will try to search for it myself if you dont reply.

What you says makes sense, the guys doing unofficial roms I suspect are focusing on the ace itself, fixing specific issues whilst the official version is just a build of a rom for many devices so wont get as much focus.
  10. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

I found the rom on XDA but cant download it, everyone uses free hosting and the link is dead.
  11. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

when I restore with my backup root it says contacts failed because I dont have google sync enabled, I specifically want that off. So I need an offline migration process.

--edit--

ok I got the contacts imported, the app I found has an option to disable google sync.

Rom remains fast with the large call log and all the SMS imported.

The wifi also now works.

However.

There is a bug with the screen timeout setting, I set to 30 minutes and its defenitly not waiting that long.
    I am getting occasional force close of foreground apps.
    sd-ext is visible and mounted as I can browse it with root explorer (is empty), but titanium backup doesnt see it. I guess I actually need to install dt-apps2sd.
    Not looked into BLN again.
    ADW launcher mixed views, I like the alphabetical ordering, but when I switch to sideways scrolling, it seems less fluid than stock version, needing more of a swipe to change screens and its jerky losing the fast fluid immersion of the rest of the rom.
    Was unable to import calender data, my backup root said no calender is on current rom but one is installed, so I am guessing its a different version or something and incompatible.

Looked at kang's rom feedback thread, I see its based on CM7.1 which I assume also means an older version of gingerbread, will install it now to see what I think of it.
  12. ayush29k

CM7 modded rom=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1583871
    its based on CM7 by vo-1, has good reviews, look into this.

Gps patch=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1465402

google sync is just a 1 time requirement, no idea why, but it never asks for that again. Do a sync once and then just restore your backup over it.
    Try one thing, enable sync but turn off your wifi/packet data, see if it works then.
    chrcol likes this.
  13. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

It worked fine is an option in my backup to disable the requirement.

I enabled trackball lockscreen was this a mistake? I cant unlock it as I dont know what trackball is o_O

I was trying to get the easy unlock screen from 2.3.6 stock.

Also on a call it only rings once and thats it, stock rings repeatedly like any other phone.

I did get dt-apps2sd working also.

So whats left is.

1 - easy unlock from 2.3.6 stock.
    2 - BLN
    3 - get it to ring repeatedly.

The rest of everything else I think is fine. The phone is amazingly fast compared to stock,granted on my stock setup I underclock the CPU for battery life, but even when I ran at full clocks last night it still felt laggy in comparison.
  14. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

I can confirm no issues with BLN on the vo-1 mod but I dont like either of the 2 themes he supplied, the CM7 stock theme is better. His rom also seems slower than official CM7.2.
  15. ayush29k

dunno what that'll do, ace doesn't have a trackball :p
    CM does have many options for lockscreen, look into the cyanogenmod settings>lockscreen, it has all the options of stock plus more.

Go through the CM settings, there's loads that you have never seen in stock.

I have never had a ringtone problem like such, it rings repeatedly. Try another ringtone and check the settings as well, might be an option somewhere.

Look into xda, there is a patch for BLN on CM there, use that.

For me, battery easily last 2 days, no networking, 100 sms and around 10 calls a day, lasts long and works fast. :D:D

There are lots of themes for CM7 on the net, i use Achep's ics theme. Change it as you like it, and its not permanent so you can use a new theme everyday.

For more speed remove the apps you don't like and use some ram scripts to improve the performance.
    I am using Ice Cream Sunday rom, its a barebones CM7.2, so it easily gives 1900 quadrant score on 800mhz with no lags. I keep min frequency at 245mhz plus smartass governor.
    chrcol likes this.
  16. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

Do you know how to get stock behaviour back on closing app?

on stock if I launched app from app drawer and closed app I went back to app drawer, on both CM roms I go back to home screen instead.

The lock screen isnt there I think, it has the lock screen from 2.3.3 stock where have to drag bar across, but 2.3.6 had a new lock screen where only had to swipe a tiny bit and was enough to unlock, also could swipe anywhere on screen, was no particular area.

I think this vo-1 rom is slower than official CM but still noticebly faster than stock.

Just incase was my ringtone I did try a generic ringtone and was same issue.but on both these CM roms its ringing just once and waits for me to answer or reject with no more rings.

Dont enable trackball lock screen its effectively a lockout until restore :p no way I found to unlock it.
  17. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

ignore my theme stuff, I installed the wrong rom :p

Now I got the real vo-1 rom.

Its still laggier than the true CM7.2 tho although at least it has the proper theme now.

The real issue for me I think at the moment is the ringtones not repeating, the rest now is probably minor.
  18. ayush29k

sorry bro, no idea about the app closing behaviour.

I think what you are talking about is that in 2.3.6 you can slide the entire lockscreen wallpaper to unlock. I don't think its there in CM, but there are apps you can use for that. I have also found numerous unlock options in MiLocker app.

I use song ringtones and they are quite long, so probably i didn't notice the single run behaviour. i'll let you know if i find any solution for that.

You can try a barebones version of CM + overclock your cpu + ram scripts, that'll will give you the maximum speed the ACE can give, although it'll drain your battery quite fast.

This is by lovetz, its pretty good too, he has even added a PDroid patch in it, take a look
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1360889
    chrcol likes this.
  19. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

thanks appreciated, and dont worry about the speed, its still damn fast compared to stock.

As a temporary workaround I will be using a long ringtone.

Also tommorow after some sleep will install that gps workaround,

BLN etc. I got configured.

I did notice they removed groups from contacts which I did find useful (is how I sorted out my work contacts and gave them overide ringtones and sms tones) Luckily tho they also added a overide ringtone for each contact meaning I wasnt stuck just a bit more work for the configuring.

I obviously cant comment on battery life yet, for now I configured smartassv2 governor which apparently is good for reducing clocks with the screen off so hopefully will be fairly efficient.

Also thanks to PJ147 of course for bringing it to the attention of this forum of the official rom and his help as well.

ok I found on another website a CM changelog.

according to that CM goes past 7.2 and this was added to 7.2.1.

20. ayush29k

For the ringtone you can also use an external app for the market.
    OR
    use a good music editor and cut paste your favorite ringtone one after another and make one long ringtone file.

Yeah there's no groups in CM contacts app, i have resorted to using the favorites instead.

Its been 6 months and there are still days when i find new settings and options in this, its really too customizable :D:D
  21. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

yep if push comes to shove I will edit a new ring tone with it repeating by itself.
  22. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

I am assuming grif's 7.1 build.

I just switched to it as BLN was too buggy in RC2. The bug isnt present on RC1. This one cm-7.1.0-RC1-Cooper-KANG-10.10.11-Grif_07.zip and the fix file for it.
  23. PJ147

PJ147 Well-Known Member

Grifs build is great. There is work going on on the official version and when it gets a stable release it will be perfect. By the way the GPS fix is http://db.tt/hUEtwHL3
  24. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

Unforteantly it does still have the BLN issue, I was fooled by that the issue doesnt show so much when the usb is plugged in. It seems CM has an underlying issue affected BLN in 7.1 and 7.2 that is getting no attention, probably due to the limtied way bugs can be reported.

I have noticed a new nightly is done now and I have downloaded it.

Here is a summary of my ups and downs so far.

PJ147 you seem in the loop on internal CM development, can you draw attention to what I summarised?
  25. PJ147

PJ147 Well-Known Member

CM 7.x problems

1 - Flash doesnt work in browsers and bbc app. nor does it properly on stock.change the flash verison. It works in browsers (not opera) for me - by the way the aces armv6 processor is not supported for flash.
    2 - BLN Pro is very broken, LED blinks chaoticly. 3rd party app
    3 - BLN Free is partially broken LED occasionally turns off momentarily. see above
    4 - Screen timeout setting is inaccurate on 10 and 30 minute settings.
    5 - It allows trackball lockscreen when not fitted meaning cant unlock device. dont press it as you know the phone has no trackball

CM 7.x Missing Features

1 - No built in BLN support meaning using 3rd party kernel which CM dev's will then not support. this is not a ROM missing feature - its an app limitation
    2 - No Groups in contacts, every phone I have owned has this feature.
    3 - Ringtone doesnt loop just plays once. worked ok for me
    4 - Android easy swipe lockscreen not included. you can change this in adw settings
    5 - No built in debug tool so easy to send bug's to CM dev's on their bugtracker using their logging requirements. for bug tracking see what you were informed on XDA - no other rom has inbuild debug tool either??

CM 7.x plus points.

1 - Phone is blazing fast to use compared to stock, I havent compared to modified stock roms tho. check out angry birds etc for real difference!
    2 - Theme is nice mostly. adw launcher is very customisable
    3 - Extra options to tune performance related stuff.
    4 - Enhanced power menu.
    5 - Lots of space free on system.
    6 - Extra options for 2G data use.

It seems that you might be expecting too much from this as a lot of your problems are apparent in lots of other roms too. Most other roms (which are based on stock or CM 7.x) have lots of issues and outside XDA or such sites have no way to feed back issues. Things like BLN support are more of the app developers issue than CMs.

From what you have said here have you tried other (unnoffcial) CM roms like Jusada's Ice Cream Sunday Final for example. As flash works (not BBC - its a phone hardware limitation), BLN works too.