1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General [Official Discussion] Huawei Ascend 2.1 - 2.2 Firmware Upgrade (Info updated as received!)

1. floweringmind

floweringmind Member

So far from what I can tell, it is not possible to do it with this phone. It appears that the ROM is blocked from updates by not being able to receive OTA updates.

Advertisement
  2. etrok

etrok Active Member

Does anyone know or maybe has heard when the update will release?

i heard Q1 of 2011(Jan-Mar) but was wondering if a narrower time frame may exist?

Also, is this the update that will allow this particular droid to be able to store apps on sd card?
  3. joser116

joser116 Guest

There isn't a more specific time frame than that, sorry. You are right about the apps to SD card. It will also speed up the phone. Also, one of the greatest features of 2.2 is flash player. But unfortunately this will likely not be included in the Ascends update due to insufficient horse power. I know it sucks. U can like crickets Facebook page to receive more info as it's obtained.
  4. Jazziette

Jazziette Well-Known Member

This is the official Huawei Ascend 2.2 upgrade Android Forum thread.

The first post here will be updated continuously as new and 'confirmed' information is released regarding the 2.2 firmware upgrade that Ascend users are anticipating, both with Cricket and MetroPCS.

All posts on this thread following this one will be considered: discussion and speculation.

Update: Sunday, Feb 20, 2011 -

Good news! I spoke with Cricket Technical Support this morning about another matter to do with my phone. The technical support person told me that the Ascend WILL be getting a 'Firmware Upgrade' soon. He said we would all be notified via text message when it is available and the details.

While we have not seen anything official from MetroPCS, we can only assume at this time that upgrades for Metro Ascend users will recieve the upgrade in the same manner. Just as soon as we have official information from MetroPCS we will be posting it here in this first post.

Regarding News,Tips and Rumors:

If you have information regarding the 2.2 upgrade you want to share, please post it here on this thread instead of creating a new thread. All new threads pertaining to the 2.2 Froyo upgrade for the Ascend, whether it is for Cricket or MetroPCS will either be merged into this one of locked. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated!

All rumors or news will be checked out first and updates will be posted here on this first post as they are deemed to be of importance to the Ascend Forum. Your discussion and speculation is highly welcome, however!

To begin the discussion anew:

So the good news is that at least we know now that 2.2 is going to be forthcoming. Remember that the Ascend was only officially released in Nov 2010 for Cricket and December 2010 for MetroPCS. So it isn't like it has been out there forever without any upgrade.

An example of upgrades: The Kyocera Zio (Cricket Smartphone) was launched by Cricket in Sept 2010. It has just now been officially announced by Cricket that it will be updating to 2.2. So it is natural to assume it might take as long as six months for the Ascend to receive an upgrade as well. Fortunately for the users, the Ascend was released with 2.1 instead of the 1.6 that the Zio had.

Note:

There are new threads popping up encouraging you to install UNOFFICIAL updates! It is recommended that you wait for the OFFICIAL upgrade as the others still have bugs and are not sanctioned by the Ascend Community.

It is unwise to attempt to upgrade following these instructions at this time. Please wait until we have received the official release.

We have reports from those who have tried that they are now unable to use their phones.

It is good news, however, that we received this news as that means we are getting just this much closer to having our 2.2 upgrade.

To again answer your questions before you ask:

1. No one knows when we will get the official upgrade at this time.

2. We have been advised now that we will be notified via text message when the upgrade is released.

3. We will post here (in this first post) the minute we receive or have confirmed the official release.

4. All users: We will have directions to help and assist you with any manual upgrades.

3. Rooted users: When you see the official upgrade, wait for further instructions here on how to proceed.

Stay tuned. :)

5. P1zz4guy

P1zz4guy Well-Known Member

My phone fell victim to that update patch:-( if any one knows a way to undo it pleaselwt me know.

P.s. reflashing to 2.1 or restoring a nand back up doesn't fix it because you lose your NV items.
  6. P1zz4guy

Grrrr double post.
  7. Jazziette

Pizz4 ...Sorry you had that problem. Out of curiosity, did you unroot before you attempted the Chinese upgrade? And what other 'preparation steps' did you take before you began?
  8. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Added this thread to the guide...any official Froyo upgrade talk goes in here. Threads created outside of this one about Froyo will be merged.
    Jazziette likes this.
  9. P1zz4guy

Yeah I was not rooted. As precautions I made a nand back up and had the stock 2.1 ROM for cricket. After the Chinese data patch zip in stall all of them failed me. I think If take it to a cricket store they might be able to reactavite it, but I'm not sure.
    Fabusto likes this.
  10. Silverkx2000

Silverkx2000 Well-Known Member

Can you please edit your post to tell users we are currently working on a port Codenamed: Beanbag to release 2.2 on. You may install the Beta Via Clockwork and your Phone And Text will work, However Data and Wifi are currently still in the works, we have 3 Devs working on the currently release, stay tuned to MyAscend.org for more info!
    carl0s6610, Superjay860 and Elizclark like this.
  11. Burner

Burner Well-Known Member

Still waiting for the 2.2.

Cmon!!!! lol
  12. Jazziette

Hi Silver! Thanks for the update. I'm sure that those who read this thread will see your post. ;) For now, we are advising everyone here (due to the many problems they have encountered) to wait for the offical update (which will be announced by Huawei or Cricket or Metro).

When you get it all fine tuned send me a PM please. :)
    carl0s6610 and KOLIO like this.
  13. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

I have serious doubts cricket will ever provide an update for this phone. They will just try to sell us the new one when it comes out. Call me a cynic, but...
    GotwickDotCom and KOLIO like this.
  14. Jazziette

Well...they never promised us a Rose Garden!

LMAO !!!

:D
    KOLIO likes this.
  15. KOLIO

KOLIO NOTEoriously XPOSED Guide

Fertilizer perhaps, Roses,still waiting. :)
    Jazziette likes this.
  16. Jazziette

I know it's coming 'cause I feel the thorns!

:D
    Gmash likes this.
  17. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Thorns? Or an hour on the phone with cricket tech support from india? Lol
  18. Jazziette

Nahhh...I don't do that anymore. I haven't called them one time since I found this forum. :D
  19. kevinwarhaft

kevinwarhaft Member

thanks for this info
  20. kgreendenver

kgreendenver Well-Known Member

A port of 2.2 sounds hawt!! I'm excited!
    KOLIO likes this.
  21. CRUMBsnatcher

CRUMBsnatcher Well-Known Member

Man, i just can't wait for that honeycomb (3.0) update!! Hahahahahah, hello 2013!
    KOLIO likes this.
  22. Jazziette

2013!!! I wonder if it will be a lucky year! LOL
    KOLIO likes this.
  23. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Maybe that's the national security threat they are worried about. We all try to download honeycomb and our huaweis explode in unison!
  24. CRUMBsnatcher

CRUMBsnatcher Well-Known Member

The sad thing is, I could see that happening!
  25. BlastGT1

BlastGT1 Well-Known Member

There will be no 2013. The Mayans ran out of supplies for making their calendar and figured "Meh, it'll be centuries or millennia until then." Thanks to their shortsightedness, we are all doomed! CURSE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!