[Official Discussion] Huawei Ascend 2.1 - 2.2 Firmware Upgrade (Info updated as received!)General

Last Updated:

1. Bastich3169

Bastich3169 Member

Im convinced as well on installing Icarus 1.1 as apposed to waiting on the official. Gonna try to install it today. Could someone please point me in the direction of the install how to thread?

Advertisement
    Jazziette likes this.
  2. cast71

cast71 Active Member

This thread has prompted me to move to the dark side hehehehehehe. Thanks!!!!!! See you guys on the otherside!:D
    Jazziette likes this.
  3. cast71

cast71 Active Member

FLFireman, Jazziette and Bastich3169 like this.
  4. Jazziette

Jazziette Well-Known Member

No one knows at this point but you will most probably have to do a manual upgrade either way so chances are it will be necessary to flash back to stock. Or just do a factory reset. ;)

Welcome to our happy little Funny Farum!!! Please ask us anything and if we know the answer we'll be sure to provide it! :)

Good Luck Fireman!!!! :)

Go North, young man! :p LOL!

There's nothing quite like the 'dark side'!!! Come join us!!! :cool:

Awww.....see how helpful our little crew here is! :D
  5. Jazziette

What on earth would we do without you!!!???!!! Our Guardian Angel! :p

PS...Also, when flashing the Icarus 1.1, one of the steps on the thread is to back up all your SD contents onto your computer desktop because when you format it wipes your SD Card. So they (your contacts) will be safe in there for when you want them back. This will include phone numbers etc that may not be associated with your Google accounts.
  6. Jazziette

Here is the latest info on the 2.2 Ascend upgrade from the Cricket Wireless Facebook fanpage:

Cricket Wireless | Facebook

• [​IMG]Jose Chavez
      I think we should all request the 2.2 update on the Huawei Ascend!! I don't think its fair that we have to buy a new phone after recently buying this one!! Ugh Cricket seriously ur gonna start losing customers cause of this!!:/

7 hours ago
    Lennatron, Reposiric and r0ckstarr like this.
  7. r0ckstarr

r0ckstarr Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when I see it. Icarus, here I come. Thanks for the update Jazziette.
    Jazziette likes this.
  8. Jazziette

LOL Rock!!!! You go gurl!!!

:D
  9. r0ckstarr

r0ckstarr Well-Known Member

I wasn't the last time I checked. :eek:
    Jazziette likes this.
  10. Jazziette

hahahaha!!!! Just a figure of speech, silly!!! :D :D :D
  11. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Jazzie - what is Chris Rodriguez on about with the Epic being at 2.1 for so long in that thread?

Did Huawei provide this update and the carriers withhold it? Is that known either way?

And I think you'd all get along fine without me - I just like to kibitz. ;)
    Jazziette likes this.
  12. Jazziette

Hey Early!

Looks like Chris was only trying to make an analogy of how long it took Epic to get their froyo update. I did the same thing with Zio. LOL The Ascend has only been out for about 3 months and it seems like it takes a good 6 months with most phones to get an upgrade.

The carriers put pressure on the manufacturers to give them an update. I do know that much for sure. So basically it's just up to Huawei to either decide if and when we will get it. It could happen any day or not happen at all. I do think we will get it, however. Especially since they've already released the Chinese version.

:)

Did I answer your question? LOL :D
  13. EarlyMon

Yep, this whole maker/carrier update thing is going to take time to shake out before everyone's on the same page.

They've all been used to selling feature phones, and smartphones were things not requiring too much responsibility. Now with Android they all seem to think they're delivering payloads for bloatware.

It's on us to educate buyers so we influence demand wherever possible - we don't don't want lock-in, we do want updates, we do want choice.
  14. Jazziette

Exactly Early! And since so many of us are first time android users, regardless of the device, we need to know what is a reasonable demand.

We are all so spoiled. It's like instant gratification isn't soon enough! LOL

I don't know what we would do around here if we didn't have these custom roms to keep us pacified.

:D
  15. EarlyMon

Android is about choice - ours, not theirs. They got Android for FREE - working to re-validate their own drivers for wrap-in with updates is NOT too much ask of any of them.
  16. Anduiril

Anduiril Well-Known Member

In case you are like me and don't want all of your phone numbers on Google's cloud. Go into your Contacts and back up to SD, copy that file to your computer, and after flashing copy the file back to your SD
    card. Go into contacts and restore from SD.
    I've had my email accounts hacked before, even with being very careful about password security. And I hope this helps someone else out there that's worried about it.
    Reposiric, KOLIO, FLFireman and 3 others like this.
  17. Jazziette

Early, the only reason I can think of that they wouldn't do this is because they want to make us buy their new products or maybe because they know the device hardware really won't support the upgrade that well and would rather not release an unstable version.

Why else wouldn't they give it to us? It couldn't be that dang difficult!

I'm actually baffled by this. ;)
    EarlyMon likes this.
  18. Jazziette

That's just exactly what I did, Andy! :)
  19. lordt78

lordt78 Well-Known Member

Just how exactly do you copy your contacts to your SD? Do you need an app to do it?
  20. Bastich3169

Bastich3169 Member

Got the phone rooted and set gonn do install and will let everyone know how it goes thanx to everyone here for all the info and help
  21. Jazziette

Click on contacts and then click >menu >more >manage contacts >backup to SD Card

VOILA! :)
    la sal, Reposiric, KOLIO and 3 others like this.
  22. lordt78

lordt78 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, that was easy. Thanks Jazz! :)
    Jazziette likes this.
  23. Jazziette

No problem! Glad it worked for you! :)
  24. cast71

cast71 Active Member

I'm on the darkside now, the force is strong! ahahahahaha
  25. Jazziette